is the vega 12 ok for home use?/

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i want an efficient sub and the only one i can see is the vega 12

94db/1watt apparently on the pdf file but 94db/2.83V on the website (91db)

which is high, compared to the peerless xls (88db efficiency).

Fs=23hz
Q=0.33
Vas=2.85cu ft
Excursion=19mm

3cu ft box.tuned to 26hz.

use for music.(in home)
use for music in car later on.

i think i mite have slight distortion or somthing due to the lack of loading in the room rather than cabin of car.:dead:

some ppl have used them in rooms though.

any opinions??/
facts also appreciated :p

I use a sub designed for a car in my living room right now and it sounds great at moderet volumes. So some subs will do ok. However, that being said, be careful of what you read. A lot of car audio spec's are writen by the marketing dept. Be careful about ratings like 94db@2.84V. That is not the same as 94db@1w-1m.

swirv

that should be fine..i sorta gotta a similar setup myself

if the vega 12's that you're referring to are the vega 124's..

then u should be fine..

i got 2 jbl 12gg01's sub's underneath my desk pounding quite well....

and as u see by the attached pic... the 12gg01's and the 124's
in winisd pretty much have similar responses....

Attachments

• jblvsvega.jpg
    jblvsvega.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 212
a couple things to note...

here's a couple things to note with choosing the vega's for home use

1. basically the real efficiency of the vega's are 91db/1 watt

2. the rms power on the vega's are 400 watts (4 ohm), will u be able to acquire something that will put out that much juice..

3. when they said u may have good results...

good results can be interpreted differently by different people...

ie. with my current setup during a bass sweep, the 12gg01's pound all the way down to around 27 hz, after that the bass begins to crap out....

for some a response down to 27hz may not be enough..
but im more than fine with it, due to the fact the each sub only costed me $50 cdn, (basically $31 usd).

12vega

1. 91db/1watt is fine (3db more than peerlesss and shiva)

2. 250watts is all i can manage i think (less than 3db more to 400watts anyway) law of diminishing returns.
even 400watts doesnt munch up much excursion in the midrange,40hz is only 10mm or so

(19mm excursion claimed):bigeyes:

>>good results can be interpreted differently by different people...
certainly yes!!!!!!!!!
especialy distortion wise and Q pounding wise.

winISD shows a good response to 26hz.

my music only has information down to 39hz even the bass test songs are only 32hz or so at the lowest.

to me 30hz is low.i can also shorten the tuning pipe and tune to 33hz for a 2db peak at 36hz herz or so incase i want it :-D

only super HT ppl need 24hz loud.for the DVDs etc.

F3 26hz is fine for me :-D

my 22hz goal can wait until i have a 18sound(brand) 18inch.(96db/1watt) 450$ US. 300litre box. oneday....
:clown:

additional notes..

actually, a couple other things to note is

1. the 124's xmax is 19mm....but
its in a vented box...and around the tuned frequency
of a vented box, the driver excursion is very small.

basically, what im saying is an xmax of 19mm is more significant (i think, correct me if im wrong) in a sealed enclosure, and not as much in a vented enclosure..

2. 250 watts (i hope that's rms) powering a 400 watt rms sub..
basically, you're underpowering the sub..
at low-moderate volumes that should be fine..but once u start going past that...probs may start..

i know this cause.. i originally had my subs super underpowered.
(60 watts rms into 150 watt rms sub)...clipping all over the place at high volumes...

when i got a new amp.. (120 watts rms per channel)

.. i noticed a huge diff, way less distortion, cleaner/deeper bass, and no clipping

12inch vega

to model excursion i used dosbox
www.geocities.com/sc00byd0159

1. below the tuning frequency,the excursion rises dramatically without a subsonic filter.
i think i was referring to the midrange,30-40hz bass region

certainly 19mm excursion is needed for a sealed box.
i personaly think that this driver wud work fine with a subsonic filter @400watts with 14mm excursion (modeled with free prog)
it is nice to have some headroom,instead the power limit is reached rather than excursion which is different.:bigeyes:

2. 250watts rms yes.. 250watts rms gives 117db ,,i think that is loud enough at 30hz not including room gain.
if i wanted it 2.5db louder il buy a 400watt amp,amps are very expensive here because we have to pay 100$ US shipping etc.

im sure that 114db is plenty loud enuf.

i would certainly prefer a 400watt amp.but do u know how $$$$ those are for home audio???/

it wud depend on ur music and ur listening level,if it clips or not.ive heard clipping (20watt IC powering 8inch pipe and 12inch pipe (40hz tuned) its not so nice :-D square wavish.:bawling:

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.