Scan-Speak 15M4531k00

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I tried searching, but I see surprisingly little input on this midrange..

My main question is: Is the lower midrange/upper bass comparable to the 15W8530, provided you don't exceed the low xmax of the driver? I'm talking about ranges 150Hz - 300Hz or so. And how about the lower treble?

This driver seems like a very good midrange for 3-ways to me. I suppose it misses the coating, at least based on the photos I've seen, compared to 15W's.

Oh, I forgot to answer. :( Sorry!

Thanks for the input. I've been doing some more searching, and I've found similar comments. I indeed had in mind to use an active cross-over and a sealed enclosure, not to mention MTM layout. 2nd order HP for acoustic LR4. Maybe even higher if that's what sounds good with SS 8565-01's.

I also found comments of this driver being very fast & transient, suits me.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
With a small series inductor(0.3mH ?) with RC and additional "notch" filter you will get very nice sound

150hz is ok at low levels - but at higher level I reckon it will move a lot, and in my book a midrange shouldnt move much, at least not visuably ... which I think is in the nature and advantage of a midrange;)

Furthermore, 150hz is right in the middle of the baffle step loss:cannotbe: but it might work with a little overlap from the woofers

Will you use double 10"(8565) to match the double 15M :devilr:

Yup, double 8565 in a closed cabinet.

Most likely it's gonna be WMTMW, since the QTC I'm aiming for is below 0.6, and with MTMWW the bottom cabinet would grow enormously big. A WMTMW gives a possibility for a taller but slimmer cabinet. Not to mention symmetrical radiation. :D Form follows function, anyone?

150hz for 15M4531 is kinda low, but I'm going to try it anyway. The idea came from Barefoot Sound MM27's (http://www.barefootsound.com/) . 110Hz - 2k5 xovers with (probably) Vifa 5" midranges. Those who have heard it say it works wonderfully.

Another good option would be to use the 2x10's for BSC. I wouldn't want to take them much above 250Hz though..

It's going to be all active (analog) cross-overs. Notch filters no problem. They're 4ohm drivers allright, so why don't I just hook them up in series? :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.