L-R 12db/oct tweeters reversed or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have never experienced any 2way that shouldn't have reversed tweeter
with 3ways, it's always been reversed midrange
that said, I haver never owned or built any speaker without some kind driver offset
or else I would most likely tilt the whole speaker backwards

2-way second order filter, tweeter reversed. 3-way second order, tweeter normal midrange reversed.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
There is no second order Linkwitz-Riley.

no, so they say
I think it's originally 'transformed' from Bessel filter function
this can be handled in passive crossovers
maybe why they say it's really more like 8 or 10db than it is 12db
but will you notice the difference on a graph :scratch2:

but active 12db 'L/R' crossover .... yes could mean trouble :scratch:
has to be 'compensated', or it could have unintentional peak in xo point

but I clearly remember a very skilled man saying....'what does it matter I don't know anything about BSC when I use measurements'
I shall not tell who said that :D

The L/R crossover is defined as the cascading of two second order Butterworth filters. By definition, it is 4th order. Period. Now, one can use the idea of spreading the centers and higher Q to any order filter if it works for them. Technically, the crossovers I have built that try and approximate an L/R crossover by incorporating the driver natural rolloff are not L/R crossovers. One does not have the ability to control the Q. They are "inspired by" the gentlemen.

There is no second order Linkwitz-Riley.
Deep Throat

LR2 is a well known crossover, and described by Linkwitz himself:

Crossovers

4) - 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley filter (12 dB/oct, LR2)

I believe I have seen it described in earlier writings by Linkwitz as well, along with LR4, LR6, LR8. And other authors in JAES 1979-1989. When the order is divisible by 4 the polarity of both drivers is the same, otherwise the polarity of one side must be inverted.

I'm not exactly sure what the formal definition of LR crossover is, I think a cascade of 2 maximally flat filters or cascade of 2 filters having Q of 0.707. NOT only a cascade of 2 second order butterworth.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.