things people say/do on ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
He knows how to look after it too. I wonder how much junk has gone down the VC gap. It's a wonder he didn't say it had a very transparent sound.

There are sellers in HK that have tube amps for sale. Could be good value till you notice the freight is higher than the starting bid.

Geoff,

>>There are sellers in HK that have tube amps for sale. Could be good value till you notice the freight is higher than the starting bid.<<

Yes - but tube amps *do* have a shocking watts to kilograms ratio (even worse if you think in watts per pounds), and international air freight *does* cost an arm and three legs.

:bawling: Pit

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
There was a pair of Morel MDT33 tweeters on ebay described as 'new condition but sat in the boxes for a few years'.

I threw a bid in for £90 which I would consider the maximum I'd pay for these second hand, no warranty tweeters. I checked back after the auction end and was amazed to see they went for £132+PP.

You can buy a brand new matched pair at Wilmslow Audio(not the cheapest of places) for £140+PP.

You quite often see this and I'm sure its down to people getting caught up in 'a must have' mentality without doing the proper research to start with.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
ShinOBIWAN said:
I'm sure its down to people getting caught up in 'a must have' mentality without doing the proper research to start with.

I think you're right. Jazz CDs often go for as much or more than you would pay on Amazon.com with free shipping! I don't even bother much anymore.

You'd think people would know better, but maybe it's the noobs?

Back before the turn of the century I used to bid on a lot of Predicta televisions. Some of those auctions went into the stratosphere. I asked a few of the buyers "what were you thinking?? "Got caught up in it" was always the reply, usually followed by "Now I have to explain this to my wife....." :dodgy:

panomaniac said:

I think you're right. Jazz CDs often go for as much or more than you would pay on Amazon.com with free shipping! I don't even bother much anymore.

You'd think people would know better, but maybe it's the noobs?

Only slightly OT, but I recently have tended to buy on ebay in preferance to other channels. I'm even getting to the point of not doing it to save money, rather that the service from e-bay sellers is more often than not better than I expect to recieve from more traditional channels.

Delivery times quoted are generally adhered to, comunication is generally more educated and when things go pear shaped (as sometimes in life they do.) the seller is more likely to wish to make amends.

I put it down to the sellers generally having an interest in the products they sell, even to the point where sellers have e-mailed me to find out how my projects have progressed after the sale.

I like e-bay and so far it has liked me!

"Now I have to explain this to my wife....."

Tough punishment. A judge makes a determination, dishes out the penalty, you comply, get over it, and get on with life.

The spouse stores the minor discretion for years to come.

I like the descriptions like " the centre domes have a minor dent, but we all know it doesn't effect the sound" and the picture shows a mini volcano.

Amongst the rif-raf, there are reputable sellers there.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
justblair said:
Only slightly OT, but I recently have tended to buy on ebay in preferance to other channels. I'm even getting to the point of not doing it to save money, rather that the service from e-bay sellers is more often than not better than I expect to recieve from more traditional channels.

Delivery times quoted are generally adhered to, comunication is generally more educated and when things go pear shaped (as sometimes in life they do.) the seller is more likely to wish to make amends.

I put it down to the sellers generally having an interest in the products they sell, even to the point where sellers have e-mailed me to find out how my projects have progressed after the sale.

I like e-bay and so far it has liked me!

I've done a lot more selling on eBay than buying and i try to be one of those good sellers you describe.

Evolution in action, one hopes the flakes will go extinct.

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Back in my computer obsession days, I ran across a scoundel (from Montreal) who was selling used CPU's. The shipping for these was $13.99 US, but the item came in a bubble mailer with $1.00 CA postage. Item guarrantied againt DOA, but no refund on shipping. Needless to say, the CPU was a dud. I contacted the seller, he "graciously" agreed to refund part of the shipping cost as long as I gave positive feedback. I agreed, returned the dud, and life goes on...
Further searching lead me back to the same seller a few day latter, where he is selling the CPU that I had just returned. Turns out he was making in excessof $100 per week just on shipping for these defective CPU's. Every week he would re-list the 20 to 30 that he had just sold th previous week and had been returned.

CTS-

OR...

LIve the fantasy------

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting
eBay: Alinco Jensen 12" 4 RCA VICTOR tube Amp Dual Concentric (item 300112191542 end time May-23-07 14:58:19 PDT)

Pair of Alinco Jensen Speakers

Dual Concentric 12” 8 ohm
You are bidding on a pair of 8 ohm vintage Alinco Jensen speakers. These are in really good condition and it is working well. They are in excellent condition. These came from my vintage RCA VICTOR tube receiver amplifier unit.

This speakers is a full range speaker. Enclosed are the famous Dual Concentric 12" (orange dust covers). The surrounds are corrugated paper not rubber or foam. The sound is really good and the sensitivity is high. The VICTOR tube receiver was pushed by a single end EL84. The power is small but the sound is strong.

I am selling it because after I’ve moved, there’s little place to put my toys. I have lots of friends who told me to sell the whole unit, but I’ve decided that it’s too heavy so I’m selling it separately.

The item marked: 5812484 137-7413 and 5812484 137-7425 with no cone or frame damage. I think on manufacture date is 1950 because my dad was first owner and brought in 50’s

Attachments

• ianastbury.jpg
    ianastbury.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,375
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.