Small bookshelf design needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2007, 10:52 PM   #1
x is offline x  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Small bookshelf design needed

I am new to this forum and am building some gainclone amps for my first project. After that I will need some small bookshelf speakers. Are there any plans available? Is there a difference in sound quality between MDF and multiply plywood and solid wood? I build guitars and do know that there are differences in sounds between different wood spieces hence this question. I think some company from Japan just released a speaker box made of musical tonewood.
Thanks,
Rob
Currently Listening to:
This is Acid Jazz Vol. 3
Old 5th May 2007, 10:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to diyAudio x. If you search, there are a couple of good threads on cabinet material currently running, and several older ones with lots of good info.

As for speaker designs, there are lots! can you narrow it down a little? What do you listen to and in what size room, how much can you spend, and what drivers can you get hold of are some of the first questions that come to mind.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 6th May 2007, 06:35 PM   #3
GOWA is offline GOWA  Canada
diyAudio Member

Try these.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker12.html
http://www.rjbaudio.com/Microbe%20SE/microbe%20SE.html
Old 6th May 2007, 07:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I listen to a wide selection of music. Right now my collection includes the following artists with their style of music...
Bill Laswell...Ambient Dub, very bass oriented...Alot of his remixes
Zakir Husein...Tabla and Bass
The Dead...Mostly live concert
Northern and Southern Traditional Indian music
Cuban Salsa
Bossa Nova...Both traditional and New wave
Flamenco
New Indie
Buckethead...Sorta like Metal meets Japanese noise
Man made Trance....Secret Chiefs 3 and Rovo
Classical
Acid Jazz
Bill Frisell
Traditional and new Surf...Dick Dale to The Mermen
I go by Artists and their Friends
Room size is 8 by 20 for now...Read my shop space where I sorta live when not working...A wood shop
I went to the next posters, GOWA, suggested links and found the speaker costs , Seas 22TAF/G and Dayton RS125S-8 not intimidating. I have connections for wood and tools as I build fine furniture. Also I would be interested in making a few more for a 5.1 theater setup eventually.
Thanks
Rob
Currently Listening to:
Death From Above 1979 Bloody Romance Remixes
Old 7th May 2007, 02:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi X,

Between MDF, Plywood, and hardwood, I'd definitely recommend plywood. I once used bubinga hardwood for a set of speakers, and it was a mistake that I won't make again.

What you need is a material that is heavy and stiff, but also lossy.
Old 7th May 2007, 02:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

..."oh bother"... what's wrong with the html code in my signature thingie???

Nevermind... it's fixed
Old 7th May 2007, 03:49 AM   #7
Account disabled at member's request

Default Re: Small bookshelf design needed

Quote:
Originally posted by x
Is there a difference in sound quality between MDF and multiply plywood and solid wood? I build guitars and do know that there are differences in sounds between different wood spieces hence this question.
Hi.
In a musical instument the wood is meant to vibrate. In a speaker, the box should not vibrate enough to produce sound. Therefore, it's really not an issue (in my opinion) what the box is made from, as it should be silent. More important than what it's made from, is how it's made. Generally a small speaker will have very small panels which will nor require a lot of bracing.
Old 7th May 2007, 03:59 AM   #8
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Default Re: Re: Small bookshelf design needed

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193

In a musical instument the wood is meant to vibrate. In a speaker, the box should not vibrate enough to produce sound. ..More important than what it's made from, is how it's made.
X (aka Rob) if you have good expereince building guitars you can easily make a good speaker.

You could even try composites like MDF-Ply-FRP. What seems rather simple to me is to make a thin (4-6mm) ply box and then laminate both sides of it using FRP and/or MDF.

Curved panels are also an option. there are multiple ways to do this. Some years back Coiln (a member here) made asuch a box for 2 10" Scan Speak wookers. I would try and dig up that thread.
Old 7th May 2007, 04:42 AM   #9
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default not a design, but some information..

MDF offgasses formaldehyde, a known carcinogen. Even the dust is toxic (although maybe not as toxic as purple heart). Baltic birch plywood is relatively inexpensive (for small speakers a typical 60" X 60" piece will net you a couple of speakers). It also machines and cuts like solid wood, and can look quite nice with just a couple of coats of clear urethane or stain+ urethane.

As far as designs go , I am still "pro" open baffle, in which case the material doesn't really matter, but of course your continued health does. If you choose mdf, regardless of enclosure type, please do make em in a well vented area, and let the enclosures "air out" for a few days. Once this is done, finish the inside of the cabinet the same way you do the exterior. ie: if you paint the outside with laquer or whatever paint, do the same on the inside(just don't worry about drips n things). MDF is a lossy material, and it does "breath, and this does have an effect on the bass.
Old 8th May 2007, 03:28 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

After doing some looking I have a feeling I will be building Roman Bednarak's Microbe. As I listen to alot of Rock I will go with the original not the SE version. I will be using 3/4" Baltic Birch with some sort of "interesting" 1/8"" verneer. Thanks for the input everyone. Can't wait to make some sawdust. I also agrre with everyones consensus on MDF, only place I have it is on my router table, I used it because you can flatten it to some serious tolerances.
Rob
Currently listening to:
Los Cubanos Positizos
Marc Ribot

Hide this!Advertise here!