Vifa D25AG-35-06

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IIRC that tweeter has an FS between 650-900hz. Rule of thumb is that you should cross over at least one octave (better 1.5 octaves) from the tweeter FS (at least for VC type tweeters). That would mean this tweeter COULD cross over as low as 1300-1800hz, though
1950-2700hz would be better.

Use of a third order high pass filter or a second order high pass plus a notch filter tuned to the FS would be indicated if you want to cross over as low as one octave from FS.

Looking at the original post I think he was referring to a 4th order L-R crossover. That would be sharp enough to work fine one octave from the tweeter FS without the notch filter. But use good inductors and capacitors. At least 3% inductors and 5% caps, better if available.

UNDERSTANDIN said:
I'm sorry for not phrasing the question properly.
I'm more interested in the distortion characteristics of the tweeter. Where would unacceptable distortion appear when crossed with LR4?

I have used it crossed over at 2k with a LR2. It easily takes that in stride. I think I have seen it crossed over as low as 1.3-1.6k in commercial speakers, but I wouldn't necessarily trust it much lower as I don't think it is being made anymore. You can do T/S analysis on tweeter and find the excursion limited performance - I think you will find the thermal limit of the coil is more of a problem - I doubt it can take much more than 10-12Volts RMS long term...no matter what the "system power" level spec is. My suggestion is to follow manufacturer guidelines.

UNDERSTANDIN said:
Yes I have them in hand. My understanding is that they are still in production.

I'd wish they were, however the only Vifa tweeters still in production are the mainstream DX and higher-end XT. As those are now offered under both the brand-name Vifa and Peerless I suspect that Tymphany, the company that owns Vifa, Peerless and Scan Speak, is phasing out the Vifa brand. :(

It's possible that Madisound and/or Parts Express still have a few D25's on hand but I wouldn't count on it too much, that's why I was asking if you already had them. Solen still lists them as well but hasn't had any D25's in stock for over 5 years. The only "old" Vifa tweeters left at Solen are D27's and they don't have many left. I suspect it's the same at other North American suppliers.

I know that Parts Express has them in stock.
I just wanted to know if I could get as low as 1600hz LR4,
to use in an MTM. But I will probably just use them in an MT
arrangement at about 2200hz, and be happy. But more than likely, I won't get around to using them until after I get my measurement equipment. In that case, I can find out exactly how they should be used. Thanks all for your responses.

I built these about a year and a half ago for an ex-girlfriend http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=New_Vifa_Tower.html
with the D25AG35-06 aluminium tweeter and a Vifa M21W039-08 woofer, crossed at 2200hz. Sounded astonishingly good. Her new flat-mate has been bugging her to contact me to build him a pair as he loves them so much! Had to say no, as the drivers are no longer in production (and I have better things to do!)

I just built a nice MTM center using this tweeter and crossed it at 2000hz using a 2nd order electrical that give a 3rd order roll-off. Sound great. I used some left over P13WH for the woofers and even though MTM are not best used horizontally the off axis is excellant with a 3rd order crossover. Really simple xover if anyone is interested. I think the P13 are still obtainable.

PS not much low bass but is set to small for HT sound fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.