Vifa D25AG-35-06 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2007, 08:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Vifa D25AG-35-06

I've seen the Vifa D25AG-35-06 crossed over as low as 2000hz.
Anyone have experience with it and know how low I can cross using LR4?
Old 5th May 2007, 01:57 AM   #2
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

seeing as you can cross as low as 2k with 12dB/oct circuit, doing so with a 24db/oct should be no problem. Probably wouldn't go much lower.
Old 7th May 2007, 08:04 PM   #3
kscharf is offline kscharf  United States
diyAudio Member

IIRC that tweeter has an FS between 650-900hz. Rule of thumb is that you should cross over at least one octave (better 1.5 octaves) from the tweeter FS (at least for VC type tweeters). That would mean this tweeter COULD cross over as low as 1300-1800hz, though
1950-2700hz would be better.

Use of a third order high pass filter or a second order high pass plus a notch filter tuned to the FS would be indicated if you want to cross over as low as one octave from FS.
Old 7th May 2007, 08:08 PM   #4
kscharf is offline kscharf  United States
diyAudio Member

Looking at the original post I think he was referring to a 4th order L-R crossover. That would be sharp enough to work fine one octave from the tweeter FS without the notch filter. But use good inductors and capacitors. At least 3% inductors and 5% caps, better if available.
Old 3rd June 2007, 07:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm sorry for not phrasing the question properly.
I'm more interested in the distortion characteristics of the tweeter. Where would unacceptable distortion appear when crossed with LR4?
Old 4th June 2007, 12:54 AM   #6
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UNDERSTANDIN
I'm sorry for not phrasing the question properly.
I'm more interested in the distortion characteristics of the tweeter. Where would unacceptable distortion appear when crossed with LR4?
I have used it crossed over at 2k with a LR2. It easily takes that in stride. I think I have seen it crossed over as low as 1.3-1.6k in commercial speakers, but I wouldn't necessarily trust it much lower as I don't think it is being made anymore. You can do T/S analysis on tweeter and find the excursion limited performance - I think you will find the thermal limit of the coil is more of a problem - I doubt it can take much more than 10-12Volts RMS long term...no matter what the "system power" level spec is. My suggestion is to follow manufacturer guidelines.
Old 4th June 2007, 02:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Vifa D25AG-35-06

Quote:
I've seen the Vifa D25AG-35-06 crossed over as low as 2000hz.
Anyone have experience with it and know how low I can cross using LR4?
Do you have the units on hand? It's been out of production for quite a while.
Old 4th June 2007, 02:42 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes I have them in hand. My understanding is that they are still in production.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1076

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-512
Old 4th June 2007, 04:24 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes I have them in hand. My understanding is that they are still in production.
I'd wish they were, however the only Vifa tweeters still in production are the mainstream DX and higher-end XT. As those are now offered under both the brand-name Vifa and Peerless I suspect that Tymphany, the company that owns Vifa, Peerless and Scan Speak, is phasing out the Vifa brand.

It's possible that Madisound and/or Parts Express still have a few D25's on hand but I wouldn't count on it too much, that's why I was asking if you already had them. Solen still lists them as well but hasn't had any D25's in stock for over 5 years. The only "old" Vifa tweeters left at Solen are D27's and they don't have many left. I suspect it's the same at other North American suppliers.
Old 4th June 2007, 04:48 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I know that Parts Express has them in stock.
I just wanted to know if I could get as low as 1600hz LR4,
to use in an MTM. But I will probably just use them in an MT
arrangement at about 2200hz, and be happy. But more than likely, I won't get around to using them until after I get my measurement equipment. In that case, I can find out exactly how they should be used. Thanks all for your responses.

Hide this!Advertise here!