Line array & localization

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a bunch of neo8's to use in a line array. According to another thead here they can get down to a couple hundred hz in a large straight horn configuration.

My problem is what to do with the range 5-600Hz on down to my sub @ 80-100.

3 Ideas:

Initially I thought about interspersing some 5" woofers since the neo8-neo8 distance would be under the lowest wavelength, but apparenty that's not a hot idea.

Alternately I could just put a couple of low distortion 8" woofers in a pvc TL behind the array. Would aid in dispersion, but I'm worried about dirrectionality from the woofers peaking over (or under) the line array.

Perhaps I could mount a line of 4-5" woofers on the side of the horn. This would mess up the physical smoothness of the horn to some extent.

Better ideas? Perhaps someone with a BG rd48 or similiar and a couple of woofers could chime in and let me know how that worked out.

post I'm refering to is the top of this page

haven't built it yet so pics are tough
but

mid bass
ribbon
mid bass
ribbon
mid bass
ribbon
mid bass
etc

Or a line of mids with a couple of 6" woofers on the top and/or bottom There would also be a supertweeter in the mix. One potential alternative is neo8's @ the throat of the horn, and woofers mounted on the (obviously angled) sides.

Mainly I'm just considering how to use the straight horn setup and still get 100-500 Hz that fits with the rest of line array presentation. The standard ribbon line beside woofer line isn't going to work with the CD horn setup.

so complicated

I fail to understand why you are making this so complicated....

Do a nice 3 way with electronic crossovers and have the best sound you ever experienced in your life.

Let the Neo's loaf along above 3000, buy about 15 - 20 of 4 inch mid ranges, and put in a line of 2 or three 12 inch woofers along each side.

Cross the 4's at 200, and 3000. Have no crossover screwing up the critical human listening range. There are some great 4's that would do a terrific job for you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.