newb build; budget floorstander in UK - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2007, 03:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default newb build; budget floorstander in UK

hello all,
after hours of searching i am no closer to finding a tried and tested floor standing speaker design with components i could either get in the UK, or get parts from overseas sent to the uk.

i want to build a pair of decent sounding, big and chunky floor standers with adequate bass response (would be nice to feel it) and reasonable mids and highs. im not looking to get the last word in SQ, and certainly not in the position to spend a lot of money on them.

Budget is £3-400 for the entire build.

i do want them to be fairly big, and quite chunky. taller than 1m and wide enough to not topple over easy.

i am handy with most tools, building cabinets and using a router would not be a problem at all .

the speakers need to be durable and heavy, as they will be in an environment with children and clumsy (very clumsy) friends.

Musical preferences; Jazz and avantgarde, math-metal, art-rock, pop, ect.

will be driven by a gainclone eventually. (i want to build the speakers first) maybe a gainclone is not the best choice for this type of speaker? let me know.

im also handy with a soldering iron, but electronics is not a stong point, so i could build a x-over from a design, provided component values and types are specified.

let me know if there is anything else i need to consider. and thank you very much for any advice, it will be very much appreciated.
Take care.
Jon.
Old 3rd May 2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

If you like bass thump, consider PA drivers.

If you need efficient speakers to go with your gainclone, consider PA drivers.

If you need tough stuff for your kids and friends, consider PA drivers.

Not the best or most accurate drivers, but they are what you are listening to when at a concert. Some people really like the sound, others not so much. Me? I am convert. I like the PA sound.

A 15" with a medium sized mid and a horn tweeter might just do it. Others will also have suggestions.
Old 3rd May 2007, 04:55 PM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

http://seas.co.uk/acatalog/Speaker_Kits.html

Hi,

Possibly a straight forward floorstanding version (~ 80L) of the above.

or if you fancy CW's route :
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/PAB-415.html
In around 70L tuned to around 40Hz.

/sreten.
Old 3rd May 2007, 05:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

One of Ivan's transmission line kits should sort you out.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 5th May 2007, 04:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

i really like those transmission line kits, they look awesome and like they'll do the job nicely!

last couple of questions, im thinking of building a 4 channel gainclone to bi-amp the speakers, is that a good idea?(im going for the most expensive basic kit)

also, ill be building a massive heavy stand for the speakers, is the best solution to get as little surface contact between the speaker and the stand, or the stand and the floor? what about both?

after looking at those kits, looks like my budget has increased too, ah well, its to be expected really isn't it?

and thanks for the suggestions, if anyone has any more, id be glad to receive them!
Jon.
Old 5th May 2007, 06:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

I've had best results using floorstanders with spikes on the cab, sitting on a paving stone.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 5th May 2007, 07:22 PM   #7
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I would have linked to those TL, but Pinkmouse came first - so I wonder how these are, from the same company

http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/ipl_hi...ielded_a3_.htm
Old 5th May 2007, 09:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

I don't know those, but Ivan does do good work, and he's a great guy to chat to, (I've had several long phone conversations with him). Might be worth a go if you have the cash spare.
Old 6th May 2007, 08:27 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

a little birdy tells me that transmission line designs sound dull and un-engaging. is there any validity to this statement? ideally i want something more euphonic than sterile.
Old 6th May 2007, 11:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

A designer can make any type of box design as dull or as euphonic as he/she wants.

Sweeping generalisations are never useful.

Hide this!Advertise here!