Dynaudio Contour failure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have this speaker that has a problem with high frequencies that go on and off randomly. It feels like as if there's a blanket in front of the speaker, then it goes away then it comes back...

One thing I know is that if I turn the volume know it all comes back to normal, but I have to crank it up.

Can I fix that myself?
Anyone in the LA area who can fix it?

Cheers, J.

I have to add that the speaker fell about a year ago and sustain some cosmetic damages. Now I'm pretty sure something inside must have cracked as well. Anyway how do I check anything in there?!

Attachments

• xover_top.jpg
    xover_top.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 389
ok that's it. I just remember I had an extra pair of old surround speaker, so i took one of the driver and connected it and boom it works.

That means my tweeter is at fault. Great.

Any possibility to dig into such driver?

It's a d28/2 Titan, made for the 1.3SE only if I recall correctly.

Dynaudio usa says it's $275 to replace it.

I don't see anything cracked/loose on the voice coil plate.

Could it be a voice coil gone out of spec?!
And could that explain the fact that it works when cranking up the volume?

It's confusing because I haven't found anything broken in there!

Depressing.

Attachments

• voicecoil.jpg
    voicecoil.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 216
It is possible for a skilled tech to repair voice coil failures such as that one, often the fine wire breaks before it starts wrapping around the former and can be resoldered. I've seen it done successfully before. Maybe find out if there is a speaker repairer near you and ask if it is something they can fix. The main thing is to treat that dissasembled tweeter very carefully, they are easily damaged.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.