Types of speaker damage,and how to avoid them

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Normally if you use an amplifier the same wattage [rms] as the speakers and the clip lights never come on your poweramp or mixer,you SHOULD be fine,but i've still managed to damage speakers by.

1. Over-Excersion,resulting in torn or creased cone,ripped surround,squashed voice coil former.
2. Frozen,expanded or burnt out voice coil.
[Frozen is when the speaker cone is permently stuck,because of the burnt out voice coil,unless you re-cone it].
[Expanded,is if the glue around the voice coil former melts,and the coil wire gets jammed in the magnetic gap.
[Burnt voice coil can be burnt in three diferent ways.1. scorch marks around the coil.2. Voice coil looks a very dark orange,3. voice coil is black,and crumbles if touched.
3.Wire out braids; snapped or burnt
4. direct sunlight[ makes plastic cones paper cones very brittle]
5. Spilt drink in eg nightclub on speaker cone,result in soggy cone,that either falls apart,or is weakened in places.
6. wear and tear from abusive and continous operation[such as weaker cone,or perished rubber or foam surround on hifi speakers.

Bull said:
1. Over-Excersion,resulting in torn or creased cone,ripped surround,squashed voice coil former.
2. Frozen,expanded or burnt out voice coil.
[Frozen is when the speaker cone is permently stuck,because of the burnt out voice coil,unless you re-cone it].
[Expanded,is if the glue around the voice coil former melts,and the coil wire gets jammed in the magnetic gap.
[Burnt voice coil can be burnt in three diferent ways.1. scorch marks around the coil.2. Voice coil looks a very dark orange,3. voice coil is black,and crumbles if touched.
3.Wire out braids; snapped or burnt
4. direct sunlight[ makes plastic cones paper cones very brittle]
5. Spilt drink in eg nightclub on speaker cone,result in soggy cone,that either falls apart,or is weakened in places.
6. wear and tear from abusive and continous operation[such as weaker cone,or perished rubber or foam surround on hifi speakers.

1. never.. :D
2. Only once... and it was a old speaker anyway :)
3. nope
4. but who leaves their speakers in the sun.. :p
5. No, the drinks always get spilt on the computer keyboard I washed the whole keyboard whenever that happenes.. I don't suppose you can wash speakers.. :)
6. The only speakers I have are old.. :p but still going strong, they have never been turned up too loud. :) My friend wrecked one of his tweeters, I am waiting for the other one to go too... He turns the amp up to clipping point, the lights on it did in time to the music.. he thinks it looks cool.. i haven't told him what hes doing.. :) lol

and cats.. :)
attachment.php

Solution to speaker damages

Over-Excersion can sometimes be avoided,so can thermal overload,by using a compressor/limiter[as long as you adjust it properly].
To help stop drinks from getting splilt on loudspeaker cones in abusive enviroments such as discos,nightclubs and pubs.
Either mount them up high,or use speakers with a water proof cone,or to stop small splashes of a drink accidently knocked over fit foam,with a plastic backing under the speaker metal grille.
To stop damage by sunlight either use drivers which are mounted inside the cabinet such as expotential midrange flares,w bins,j bins ,or buy special speakers which have a special cone such as the Selenium Quartz composite range.
And to stop damage by impact hits,such as someone's foot,fit metal grille's,and finer metal grilles ,when children are present.
I find that the round metal grilles are stronger to impact hits,than the full metal fine mesh[not the ultra fine rubbish used in boomboxes and car speakers through].
Also wear and tear is hard to avoid,but i buy drivers which last a good 10-30 years if used in a normal,non-abusive situation.But the trash you have installed by the factory in cars,never lasts more than a few years,even under normal conditions.
I prefer not going for a paper cone,it sounds more natural than plastic,but it doesn't last as long.My favourite pa speaker which lasts,and sounds good is the PEAVEY Black Widow series with Kelvar cones,and they are resonably priced.And RCF uses carbon fibre impregnated with paper,so you get a good sound,as well as a speaker which lasts long,but the expensive price turns me away.But the cone is only part of the speaker,if the voice coil and former is rubbish,then whatever the cone is made of,it still doesn't last that long or sound good.
That's why I avoid the celestion speakers,they use a aluninium former instead of kapton,and i've damaged quite a few celestion drivers in the past by thermal overheating.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
François said:
I broke one or two drivers while I was trying to screw them.

:D :D :D :D :D

Seriously though - I've got plenty of those with neat punctures in the foam surround. Still going strong, or maybe not so strong. Alittle filling with a rubber adhesive takes care of any leakage and flutter.

I've also managed to put 15 volts of DC through a leaking output stage into some frightfully expensive woofers. Not pleasant.

Or how about the time I let a bass player use my little 8" guitar amp - the suround developed a nice puncture.

My favourite however is the time a friend of mine kept a cigarette held to one of my speakers. The grill cloth went first, follwed by the cone. Finally the surround caught fire, that was when we noticed, all of us were too stoned to care. We poured some water into the smoldering speaker, completely destroying the midrange and tweeter and the box as well...

François said:
I broke one or two drivers while I was trying to screw them. The screwdriver when throught the cone... oups...

Whew! I thought I was the only guy that could possibly manage that one...My second DIY Project, my first quality DIY project and ruin it! Trust me there was definintly a problem when I could see the concrete floor in my basement while looking down at a hole in my Audax 5.25" 'er. I fixed it with some duct tape, but loud volume and a lot of excursion creates some buzz noise. I'd post a pic, but I'd have to go to my friend's...it's exam time I budgeted about twenty minutes every now and then to post on DIY Audio!

I find the best way to avoid putting a screwdriver through the cone is to use philips screws, an oversize screwdriver (big=more torque) and also rub candle wax on the screw. Makes it go in a lot easier. Of course also drill guide holes and put the screws in, without the speaker in place.

It all comes down to good tools and a bit of extra time....

I don't understand that, they can put people on the moon but we still have straith headed screws...

And they still use them exclusively in home wiring.. at least here in the states. Every time have to move a plug or play with a circuit in someones house I gotta break out the old staright head.. then slip it and cut my fingers. Ive actually developed callouses where it happens most.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.