Dual woofer placement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for opinions - pros/cons - of dual woofer placement (two 12" drivers per channel). The mid/tweeter section is a MMmtmMM array. Wondering about putting the two woofers on the bottom versus flanking each end of the mid/tweet array.

Opinions? Thoughts? Experiences?

"Can you describe the rest of the system, and the crossovers and what your design goals are to have two 12 inch woofers(vented or sealed or some other config)?"

transport, dac, attenuators plugged into Spectron amp. Crossovers on MMmtmMM (four Accuton C89/11, two Accuton C44 and an Accuton C12) array are first order series. Crossover of the two 12" (SCC-300) probably first order as well. The 12"s will be sealed or variovented. I'm using the two 12"s to match the sensitivity of the Mids and treble.

Ideally, I'd use electronic crossover on the bass, but I really don't want the extra boxes and wiring that would entail. If I could find a quality plate amp (is that an oxymoron? ;) ) that had a more adjustable crossover, I'd use it.

Oddly enough, my living/audio space isn't all that big (hence the desire not to add extra complexity to the electronics), but it's such an odd shape that bass isn't a big issue if I put the speakers in the right place.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
OK, I was just thinking that C89 might be less effective in 11ohm -and ofcourse with 4 you will get better lowend response :clown:

Woofers -,
You mentioned that you will use 6db filter and I think the right place to xo is around 300hz and I wonder if those sub drivers can do that

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Ups,.. sorry about the "6db" .... must be some other thread ... but your woofer should be good in closed with the medium/high Qts

C89 will roll off by itself around 100hz ..... a plateamp on those kind of woofers should be good fore that ... and you will have a little EQ fore free ... and better control with no passive components which may be important with a "high" Qts driver ;)

But its not what you asked about - I still think you should calculate your cabinet to have the tweeter at listening height, and the rest may come by itself ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.