Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Discussion split from pictures
Discussion split from pictures
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2007, 03:59 AM   #11
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by v-bro

I think a higher Q driver could have been smaller size and lower sensitivity. ....
you give me hope. With a Qts of 0.44 and a sens of about 90db though I am not hoping for somehting nice in a OB config. Presently my subwoofers (130 liters per side) are nice but WAF dictates a smaller box. Hence I figured isobarik (box size would be about 40 liters) untill I saw that beautiful OB picture.
Old 30th April 2007, 10:59 AM   #12
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Isobaric is nice to save space and still have very low roll-off, but OB scores a lot better on low distortion. Note that my OB is helped a lot by the floor (by putting the baffle in contact with the floor it also becomes part of the baffle, I also placed the woofer pretty near the floor. This will raise distortion a littlebit, but still waaay better than conventional enclosures) So bass response is very very good IMHO.

I think since you allready have the 12" drivers you should just try it out. Build one baffle first and see (hear ) what happens... Just use some cheapo fibreboard or an old (but massive) door like I did.... it might still lead to satisfaction....depends much on the top-end as well offcourse. And whether you have separate level control to match the volume....

My drivers were less ideal than yours if you ask me, and I'm VERY satisfied with the result. I don't care that they are big...

Bassdrum hits my stomach without being boomy, and I can follow very exactly what the bassquitar does in songs where I didn't even notice the bassplayer much on my previous subs.....
Old 30th April 2007, 11:06 AM   #13
felixx is offline felixx  Romania
diyAudio Member

Come on ...v-bro
These are my words

First ...like me and others you should try with some cheap wood and try to experiment one baffle.
I'm sure you will get some results.
Old 30th April 2007, 06:16 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Uhmm...I'm very sorry felixx

Perhaps this conversation should be moved to another thread, we are drifting much OT (OB.... ) here...but that's what a forum is for isn't it? To teach and learn.

For some I'll be stating the obvious, but for rookies sake I wanted another thing off my chest. Just too many people are staring blind into striving for perfection. Well I think perfection is never reached, even with the most expensive systems there's allways some kind of compromise.

And striving for perfection isn't always fun, neither does it have anything to do with enjoying music more. There is nothing wrong though with experimenting a lot and learning what changes make the greatest difference. But you'll learn that creating very enjoyable sound can have much wider margins than many people make you believe...

The trick is in the discovery of what you like most in the sound. After many projects you might even find your nirvana. I've come to this point many times, than someone would drop by to 'have a listen' and not like my sound. Most of the times I didn't like what they had created (or just installed ) either....

The same thing can be said about speakers from the assembly line, they all sound very different, so there will allways be a few that suit your taste and some don't. Visiting hifishops with 'listening rooms' (with switchpanels to do A/B testing) helps a lot to discover what you like best.

Actually if you ask me, most people like ****** sound Even I do!
As a matter of fact I think even REAL sound suffers from distortion, the same orchestra for instance sounds entirely different at different locations....

The funniest part is that years ago I wanted to try all the latest findings and equipment (still have that urge, but I find out if I like it better a lot faster now...) I never had a set of speakers longer than a few months, sometimes only days. I use two ESL panels (from the fifties!) right now that I will never want to get rid of for sure, or at least it will have to take a hifi revolution The OB bass system came only lately, but gives me that same sense of THIS IS IT!

Hard for me to tell whether the woofer can be improved on at this point, but sure am not going for baby step improvements....

OK I admit, I'm a freak! But for you Navin, if you just want to enjoy and not keep on building stuff (and spending the whole sallery) I'd just try the four 12".....
Old 30th April 2007, 06:28 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I'd just try the four 12" anyway, even if I had to discover it is nothing....

Than just get an 18".....

Old 2nd May 2007, 04:15 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'd just try the four 12" anyway
I am not afraid of building speakers. Why i once had a TL in my car (yes 3 10" woofers that took up the whole trunk of my sedan, an Indian version of a 70's Vauxhall).

In my younger single days (pre internet) I have built several pairs starting from 3,4 and 5 way systems using Philips drivers (the only drivers avalilable in India) to Dynaudio, Focal, Morel, Scanspeak etc when I lived in the US. The problems I face today is a severe lack of time besides the import procedure in India is so poor that getting drivers into India is a pain in the neck (leave aside the higher duties/taxes).

Given this I am trying to make do with the drivers I have (besides what do I do with my current system if I build a new one with new drivers, no one will take my monstrocities even if free! :-)

The other problem is as my family is expanding (we are now 4) is lack of space and WAF. So my speakers have gotten smaller (which is fine becuase my needs for SPLs have also drastically reduced). I used to use 2 JBL B460 woofer (using JBL 2245 woofers) for my bass. Those gave way to my current set of 12" (130 liters sealed boxes) now I would like to build something smaller. Some years back I think it was at a show in Neu Isenberg in Gemany I had seen a pair of OBs using a pair of 21" woofers or 24" wide baffles. They really sang. So I have lofty ideals of OBs. :-)

BTW felix do you have any pic of the rear with the grill off? and v-bro do you have any other pics that can "motivate" me? After it was felix's pic on the Systems thead that got me all "hot and bothered" about OB in the first place. :-)

FYI my OB would be XOed to a push-pull ScanSpeak 18W8546 and 9900. Amplification will be SS ( 3 x 2SJ50 / 3 x 2SK135) for the OB and EL34 for the mid (UL) and hf (Triode).

If this works I could simple relace the 12" I have for the Eminence 15A (if I make sure I have a large enough baffle).
Old 6th May 2007, 05:34 PM   #17
pikkujöpö is offline pikkujöpö  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by navin

do you have any other pics that can "motivate" me?
Jamo reference 909

6moons has interesting review of it (on the archives).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg jamo.jpeg (2.5 KB, 808 views)
Old 6th May 2007, 11:42 PM   #18
Cloth Ears is offline Cloth Ears  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think OB lets a driver play more or less as intended by the manufacturer (most drivers are measured in an OB).
Would this be more true to say that it lets the driver play as measured by the manufacturer - if it's measured open baffle.
I'd suggest that driver makers design their drivers specifically for applications - I know that when Neil McKinney (of Lambda Acoustics) was designing his, he had designs for sealed (SB), ported (PB) and open baffle (the prefix escapes me).
And also that most measurements are generally done using a sealed box of known volume.

But, I could be out of touch... ?
Old 7th May 2007, 03:50 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pikkujöpö
[B]
Jamo reference 909
I have heard the 909. It is available in India at a scary price. I dont think I have spent that much on audio in all my years including all my DIY and off the shelf stuff.

Besides I like the look of Felix's dipoles far better. Sorry Jamo.
Old 9th May 2007, 12:28 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I like this one: Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloth Ears

And also that most measurements are generally done using a sealed box of known volume.
All the deadrooms I visited had an 'IEC' baffle installed with rings to fit all kinds of driver sizes. Every driver was measured in this same baffle....

I've seen about five or six deadrooms in my life....

Discussion split from picturesHide this!Advertise here!