Mic stands for FR etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. I have been frustrated getting consistent results using a rat shack SPL meter. I have tracked the problem down to the photographic tripod I've been using. Depends on how far the legs are retracted, how high the centre post is raised etc.

Before I build a non resonant stand, I am open ears for suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Geoff.

I wonder if the angled legs are causing the reflections. I'd be going for a straight, thin round pole with a heavy round base. Maybe even wrap the pole in a felt or simlar fabric. You could try wrapping your current setup in a soft thick fabric and see if that helps also. An isolation mount made from elastic might also be worth trying on the meter to decouple it from the stand.

Thanks guys.

Sounds like a monopole is the way to go. 3 legs of aluminium tube is not exactly anti-resonant. It helps if I grasp the centre pole, but then I'm in the way, and still have to reach the mouse, and I haven't calibrated the grip.

The rubber decoupling sounds like a good idea. Works on tone arms. Some mass between it and the meter or mic may help. I'm on a concrete slab, so at least I don't have to worry about floor vibrations.

Regards,
Geoff

Old photographer's trick with cheap tripods:
hang a weight (usually the camera bag) from the bottom of the tripod to pre-load the legs. kick the feet outward slightly.
adjust the height with the legs, use the largest sections first. Winding the column up is a last resort.

is your floor wood or concrete? You're in big trouble if it's wood.

Isolation mount would be a good idea.

Edit:
How about the low tech solution: get a friend to sit in a chair and hold it out at arm's length?
or if your hands shake too much, stick it to a hat somehow. Make sure you send pictures.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.