woofer replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ideally it should be as close to the original as possible, in terms of sensitivity, resistance, frequency response, power handling, T/S parameters, etc.

Can you find out any of these things for your original driver? That will be a start. What speaker do you have?

" ... sensitivity, resistance, frequency response, power handling, T/S parameters, etc. ..."

Add to this: physical size and mount pattern of course. You might consider the ultimate purpose and expected longevity. I replaced the old Cerwin Vega (sic) in an old BSR box with a boomer normally installed in boom box automotive, primarily because it fit, it could handle the 150 watt steam from the nieces and nephews (played loud) and was a close match to the box resonance ... cost about US$100, shipped/delivered. (http://justwoofers.com = a Pyle Driver Sub wth the ruggedized cone.) Sounds real good and is a good match to the mains when driven w/ active crossover in the sub amp. At my age (lower listening levels), this will probably be in my estate without any deterioration in quality over time.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
You probably wont find a driver with the exact specs to match - anyhow, if its an older speaker it might not matter and you might even be in luck and do better
There could be other considerations such as materials and type of driver
But ofcourse it will have to have the specs needed fore the size of the box, and preferably a nice and smooth FR without peaks - I expect the xo to be rather simple and not exactly perfect either
But to give a better answer it would be nice to know more about the speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.