yamaha NS-200M

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a newbie: Can I be told about Yamaha NS-200M speakers.
I am building a system for my garage where I spend a good deal of my life and want a old warm sound. I have been offered a set for $50. Sound good but are they good fo the long haul or should I look a different direction. Thanks For your help.

Please bear in mind that in this forum we usually discuss building our own loudspeakers rather than purchasing commercial ones.

Having said that, I'm not familiar with those particular speakers, but if you like their sound you might as well buy them, if $50 is comfortable for you. It would be difficult to build your own for that, especially good sounding ones. You also have to WANT to build. Consider also their use - if it's in a garage will it be background music or will you be "rocking out?"

As for the "long haul" I'm not sure what you mean - are you talking about how long they will last? That may depend on how much use they've had already (how old are they?) and how they've been treated over the years, i.e., played very loudly, played often, been outdoors etc.

What are the surrounds on the woofers made of? If they are foam that's usually the first thing to give out, so make sure they are still soft and flexible and don't have any wrinkles or cracks. If they are made out of rubber they tend to last much longer. Many older Yamahas used a cloth surround for the woofers - I have a pair of NS-670s I purchased in 1978 with such surrounds and they are still in excellent condition.

If you decide to build your own speakers come back here - there will be tons of advice and guidance. You also have the option of rebuilding/modifying the Yamahas if you want to try to improve them. Many people build speakers by simply re-using old cabinets so they don't have to build any, and get new drivers and crossover components.

If they are of the same vintage as my NS-670s, or at least of the same "era" of Yamaha's glory days, then yes I absolutely second that.

I've been listening to mine for 30 years, and am just now building replacements for them (RS180S-8 + 27TBFC/G) - it will be very interesting to do a side-by-side.

He actually is talking about the 200M - here's a pic from that site.

Oh yeah for 50 clams go for it - you've found a rare deal - you could sell them on eBay for ten times that.

Attachments

• ns-200m.jpg
    ns-200m.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 287
You may need to clean the attenuators with some contact cleaner spray, they tend to oxidise and can make the mids and tweeters cut out. Just remove the four screws that hold them in and spray some cleaner in the little slots in the back of the body of the attenuator and work the knob back and forth. Spray and repeat.

Adam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.