Inductors - what sort? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2007, 07:46 PM   #1
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Inductors - what sort?

Hi,

I need a 68uH inductor / choke to for part of a 12KHz 2nd order high pass for a tweeter. Instead of getting it made for me by Falcon I thought I'd get one from RS components since they seem to have a lot in the 68uH range. But I don't know what sort is suitable for audio use. Or does it really not matter as long as DCR is low and voltage and current ratings are suitable?

Might something like RS part number: 522-7064 do the job well?

Thanks!
Old 25th April 2007, 09:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

http://home.san.rr.com/nessengr/tech...ks/brooks.html

with data from the avove link you may calculate the coil and wind it yourself for peanuts........on a wood core
Old 25th April 2007, 09:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

But when I can buy one for 90p it hardly seems worth it. I had a go for some larger ones when it might be worth the effort but it was too difficult to keep the coil wound tight with nice even layers etc...
Old 26th April 2007, 03:03 AM   #4
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Tension, 90p for a 68uH inductor indicates your money buys a lot more than mine, or you're looking at an RF inductor. DCR may be too high. Seems like a small value at 12K, or is it part of a Zobel network.

Either way, small inductors are easy to wind. Just takes some patience and practise. Good therapy while watching the 6 o'clock (bad) news. A good coat of varnish, or dipping in hot wax will keep the turns secure.

Regards,
Geoff.
Old 26th April 2007, 04:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

For audio speakers I would look under audio components not under "Power Chokes - Surface Mount"

Falcon Audio is fine, also this

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/
Old 26th April 2007, 11:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Inductor
For audio speakers I would look under audio components not under "Power Chokes - Surface Mount"

Where is audio components then? I just looked under 'inductors (chokes)'.
Old 26th April 2007, 12:58 PM   #7
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

A simple aircore should do, preferably witout plastic - but I havent seen any below 0.2mH, so you will have to unwind a bit
Old 26th April 2007, 02:44 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

S to ask, but
what kind of xover is that? are you sure about that 0,068mH?
You can buy a 0,1mH, so what you need is about a little less than that. I would test that coil you found if it is an air core one only. The thing is (that I can see from the catalogue) it is not perfectely wound. It is so small that you can easily build one, as audiofan said.
Old 26th April 2007, 06:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

It is a 2nd order high pass at 12KHz.

I only have 1mm enamled wire which is hard to wind in my experiance. My calc says I need around 60-70 turns which is not easy. I also don't have any nice bobbin to wind it on to.

I just want to buy an inductor, not make one, and not wait 3 weeks for someone like Falcon to make one for me >.<

I don't see anything wrong with using one intended as a power choke if its DCR is low and its voltage and current rating is high enough. But please, if I am wrong and missing something let me know.
Old 26th April 2007, 06:36 PM   #10
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Just check the choke is cored correctly. Some core materials might not be great at higher audio frequencies. But really I think you should be ok. Just keep in the current limit, spec 2x current if needs be.

Hide this!Advertise here!