Inductors - what sort?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I need a 68uH inductor / choke to for part of a 12KHz 2nd order high pass for a tweeter. Instead of getting it made for me by Falcon I thought I'd get one from RS components since they seem to have a lot in the 68uH range. But I don't know what sort is suitable for audio use. Or does it really not matter as long as DCR is low and voltage and current ratings are suitable?

Might something like RS part number: 522-7064 do the job well?

Thanks!

Tension, 90p for a 68uH inductor indicates your money buys a lot more than mine, or you're looking at an RF inductor. DCR may be too high. Seems like a small value at 12K, or is it part of a Zobel network.

Either way, small inductors are easy to wind. Just takes some patience and practise. Good therapy while watching the 6 o'clock (bad) news. A good coat of varnish, or dipping in hot wax will keep the turns secure.

Regards,
Geoff.

S to ask, but
what kind of xover is that? are you sure about that 0,068mH?
You can buy a 0,1mH, so what you need is about a little less than that. I would test that coil you found if it is an air core one only. The thing is (that I can see from the catalogue) it is not perfectely wound. It is so small that you can easily build one, as audiofan said.

It is a 2nd order high pass at 12KHz.

I only have 1mm enamled wire which is hard to wind in my experiance. My calc says I need around 60-70 turns which is not easy. I also don't have any nice bobbin to wind it on to.

I just want to buy an inductor, not make one, and not wait 3 weeks for someone like Falcon to make one for me >.<

I don't see anything wrong with using one intended as a power choke if its DCR is low and its voltage and current rating is high enough. But please, if I am wrong and missing something let me know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.