Group Delay?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm considering the design of subwoofer for the mini home theatre in my bedroom area. I want the lowest bass possible in a 2-3cu ft max enclosure. The obvious choice here is the ACI SV10, as it has a huge xmax and doesn't need a lot of enclosure volume to play deep. In a ported enclosure of 2 cu ft with an Fb of 21Hz it plays impressively deep with an F3 of about 23Hz.

_BUT_ group delay reaches around 25ms at 20Hz in that alignment. Will this result in noticably 'loose' bass?

[Edited by Ignite on 10-29-2001 at 05:29 PM]

Perhaps, but probably not.
The only way to eliminate group delay is to change the timing of output at certain frequencies... something I have never heard of being done aside from per-driver timing.

I've opted for the design I was talking about to have a sealed enclosure and equalize for deeper bass.

For those desiring more info on the GD topic here are a couple of references

Blauert, J. and Laws, P "Group Delay Distortions in Electroacoustical Systems"
Journal of the Acoustical Society of America
Volume 63, Number 5, pp. 1478-1483 (May 1978)

"The Differential Time-Delay Distortion and Differential Phase-Shift Distortion as Measures of Phase Linearity" by Marshall Leach,
JAES, Vol. 37, No.9, September 1989

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.