Fostex FE207E with Eminence Alpha 15 open baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am about to try out open baffle speakers for the first time (other than my Maggies). I have both a pair of fostex fe207e and a pair of eminence alpha 15.

My plan is to use a baffle about 600mm x 1000mm, sloping backwards slightly with 200-300mm side cheeks.

I am keen to keep things very simple initially, with a single inductor on the bass driver and the fostex running full range. I've played around with The Edge software but would appreciate some advice.

What inductor value would you recommend for starters? I have read about similar systems using from 3.9mH to 7mH.

Does the baffle size seem appropriate?

I don't want to get bogged down with BSC filter etc. as my next purchase will probably be a DEQ2496.

Any advice would be appreciated.

sharpi31 said:
I am about to try out open baffle speakers for the first time (other than my Maggies). I have both a pair of fostex fe207e and a pair of eminence alpha 15.

My plan is to use a baffle about 600mm x 1000mm, sloping backwards slightly with 200-300mm side cheeks.

Hi.

I've had a lot of experience with Eminence Alpha's in OB situ's.

I feel your choice is a good one. You may have to go to a 2nd order filter for the Emmy tho or else you might not be able to make it "shut up". A frequency of about 500Hz should do it. When you go to the DCX, using the same frequency, shut it off at 24dB/Octave or steeper and put a bottom limit on it of around 40Hz with a 2nd order roll.

You can also tame the top end of the Fozzie with a 6dB slope at around 8K.

Look forward to your results.

Ricky.:smash:

Hi,

Note that open baffles do not have BSC (baffle step)
as such, they have baffle roll-off at 6dB/octave.

You can use 2 bass units in a 0.5 way configuration to
compensate for 6dB of this roll-off, i.e. extend one octave.

:)/sreten.

Active EQ and bi-amping you can do anything with the lower unit.
You can reduce the Fostex amplifiers input capacitor to cut low bass.

A how to...

Hi folks....i am very interested in such design, like felixxx build him self.is there any proven or well known design that i could "copy"? i mean drawing, drivers used, wiring, etc etc.....you know, everithing allready done.I've searched the forum, but the search engine give strange results....

Thanks alot.

Well I have been enjoying the speakers for a month or two now, and am very happy overall. There is no shortage of bass weight or warmth, but the detail and imaging are also excellent.

Attachments

• pic-0010small.jpg
    pic-0010small.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 820
I am currently using a series first order crossover (4.1mH air core inductor and 75uF caps). Today I received some new monster Russian military PIO caps from Estonia (below) and am keen to try pushing the crossover point down an octave or so to about 145Hz. Two of my new caps measure the same at 114.3uF, so I will first try 7.0mH inductors and take it from there.

Will the fostex be happy working down to to this point? With a 145Hz crossover the fostex will be 6dB down at 72.5Hz and 9dB down at 36.25Hz, which I hope should prevent over excursion of the driver.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Attachments

• pic-0005small.jpg
    pic-0005small.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 714
sharpi31 said:
I am currently using a series first order crossover (4.1mH air core inductor and 75uF caps). Today I received some new monster Russian military PIO caps from Estonia (below) and am keen to try pushing the crossover point down an octave or so to about 145Hz. Two of my new caps measure the same at 114.3uF, so I will first try 7.0mH inductors and take it from there.

Will the fostex be happy working down to to this point? With a 145Hz crossover the fostex will be 6dB down at 72.5Hz and 9dB down at 36.25Hz, which I hope should prevent over excursion of the driver.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Hi,

Hand waving I'd say it would not work well as the fostex is too
near the edge of the baffle, you will have substantial baffle loss
for it at 140Hz, but suck it and see. You may have to go series
capacitor on the fostex and higher 2nd order on the Alpha.

:)/sreten.

By all means give it a go. If sreten's warning is valid, and I think it is, a "shelf" above the main driver could be a solution.

I prefer the crossover to the main as low as 80 Hz. Can't always get there.

Have a look at: www.contrabass.com/pages/frequency.html

Good luck,

Geoff.

edit: the series xo is the way for passive use. You need to take into account the z at such low freqs, usually much higher than nominal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.