Beginning my first project - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2003, 12:44 PM   #21
halojoy is offline halojoy  Sweden
On Hiatus

Good point, chris ma

Will give SkinnyBoy a secure future with this hobby.
I do not think anyone of us will grow out of this misery ...

/halo will certainly not!
Old 20th January 2003, 12:44 PM   #22
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
Quote:
Originally posted by chris ma

You can impress her when you can sell your projects and recoup the money spent. That's why you should try and do your best with your projects and make them look as good as they sound so that you can easily sell it to your friends and keep going with new projects. Then she may even brag about your products to her friends too...

Just my way to get more pocket money for my hobbies when I was your age....
Chris
Generally most 16 years olds don't have $400 or more lying around to buy a set of speakers off a friend.. well, I know none of my friends do.. I am waiting for my friend to wreck his dads speakers, then I have a first customer..
Old 20th January 2003, 01:57 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Skinnyboy - Just to give you my tuppence worth on the method of holding the box together, I'd go with routing the edges so all the bits fit together and then just glue and use clamps if you've got the tools rather than use screws as well. I've done both ways and found that the extra hassle involved in doing the screwing (drilling holes, counter sinking, filling in and sanding after) isn't really worth the effort and my glue&screw built boxes have never been as good as the ones I've just routed, glued and clamped.

Hope that helps.
Old 20th January 2003, 05:11 PM   #24
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by onebadziggy
I did a little searching and found this project
The TLb uses the same drivers (althou 2x as many) and the simpliest of XOs -- i wouldn't be surprised at all if the Esquire could be improved with the simplier XO (and cost less to boot)

The driver pairing is very good.

dave
Old 20th January 2003, 10:02 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to onebadziggy
Quote:
You can impress her when you can sell your projects and recoup the money spent. That's why you should try and do your best with your projects and make them look as good as they sound so that you can easily sell it to your friends and keep going with new projects. Then she may even brag about your products to her friends too...
Well I've done about 10 subwoofer boxes so far, the Eton 8.1 Set, and I've done a wonderful entertainment center, and beautiful speaker stands. Ive sold 8 of the 10 subwoofer boxes and I got paid for making the 8.1's. So its not like I havent shown a profit or dedication. I am everyones reference point for audio in general at my school. I dont know what shes thinking or why.. but I have to deal with it.

Well, back to the speakers. The Tlb will not fit my price range, because of the multiple drivers.

I think I will be able to get a sub or I will have to eventually.. so I am going back to the P13 and D27 idea. I need to just order some drivers and then sort out the rest..

If I can convice her I need a sub and it wont rattle apart her house (when shes home anyway) Then i'll go for the P13, and if she says no, I'll go with the peerless.

Then hopefully we can start building and tinkering!
Old 20th January 2003, 11:46 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Well I talked to my mom, and here are the results:

I get a sub! And I'm going with the Vifa P13 and the D27.

So, they will be ordered asap, and I need to start thinking about cabinet design.

Should I go sealed since I'm gonna have a sub? I think that sealed would yeild me better response and phase and so on. Really I could build both and see or I could build endless amounts of cabinets..

For the sub, I think I'm going to get a Elemental Designs e12a.
www.edesignaudio.com

I know its a car sub, but its likes small boxes and I like small boxes too. I think it will be perfectly fine with a 250watt plate amp and a ported enclosure.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 21st January 2003, 12:52 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Well, congrates of your new toy, BTW I think your mom may be more concern about your time spend on your passion and miss your studies more so than bringing the house down by the sub
Old 21st January 2003, 07:40 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

One thing before I order, what inductor/cap values should I order now to start out with? Or should I wait until later to sort that out?

-------------------------------------

Chris, I get A's and B's in school and have been on the honor roll my entire life, so I really dont think thats a problem. Good guess though.
Old 23rd January 2003, 12:27 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Well, I ordered the drivers today, so they should be here relatively soon.

I ordered the leap crossover design service from madisound also. I think it would be a good starting point for me since I dont have design software. I went for a sealed box, but I think they will give me a volume that I should use?
Old 23rd January 2003, 12:34 AM   #30
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
Hey, I just noticed something.. you say this is your first project, but you also say its not your first project.. you have made speaker boxes (subs) in the past.. Mine TRUELY IS my first project, well, almost.. I have made one rather shonky sub box.. My drivers got here today.. Now I have TWO eight inch woofers, and TWO 1inch tweeters sitting on the coffee table... Do you know anything about breaking in speakers? Someone said they just used music from a radio for 100hours I wasn't sure if I should feed it the whole frequency range of teh music, or put a filter on it.. Also, I wasn't sure if I can just leave the speakers sitting on a table to do it... nor do I know how loud it should be, how far should I cause the speaker cone to move??

Hide this!Advertise here!