Beginning my first project - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2003, 08:05 AM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: thanks planet10 for your comments

before 200 and 4000 would be better

Quote:
I will have to try and find Mid that can work well
upto 3500-4000
the afore mentioned Vifa,
and most full-ranges
they make wonderful midranges

dave
Old 19th January 2003, 06:31 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to onebadziggy
Well, the 10" idea is gone for now.

The reason I wont be implemented a sub for awhile is my mom. I haven't been able convince her that its a neccesary piece of the puzzle, she only thinks I want it to destroy our house.

I mainly listen to music with a strong low end, like Pink Floyd, Ozzy, Mudvanye, Bob Marley, and Sublime. So you can see my frustration with her.

I would really like to have 5-1/4 mids, becasue of all their benefits where it matters, but am concerned they wont meet my low freqency requirements. If it comes down to it, I will sacrifice the bass before I sacrifice the imaging and so forth.

The peerless tweeter has a 860 Hz Fs, but its not like I have to stick to that.

I'm liking the Vifa D27 tweeter also. The P13 looks nice also as a mid, but I'm leaning towards the P17 because of its lower freqency capability.

I checked out the Peerless pipe project, and I'm not sure if I really want to go that route, but thank you for mentioning it db6546.

So the question now is-5 or 6" mid driver? And should I go for the Vifa's or the Peerless? They look very similar to me, and I have no experience with either, so all suggestions are accepted!

Thank you all for the help thus far!
Old 19th January 2003, 07:23 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by onebadziggy
And should I go for the Vifa's or the Peerless?
You won't go wrong choosing either. There are probably more Vifa P17 projects out on the net than any other single driver so there is a lot of info you could crib off of.

dave
Old 19th January 2003, 08:53 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I did a little searching and found this project:

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1015/

They have good response and are in the price range that I want.

Only drawback is lack of low octave response. Maybe I can convince my mom to let me have a sub.
Old 20th January 2003, 11:07 AM   #15
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
HEY!! I only just found this.. :P And it seems to be getting more interest than mine.. well, maybe.. amyway, I don'y know what shape to make the boxes... Or HOW to make them.. are screws a no-no? Should I router the sides to fit inside each other? Should I just glue, nails? I don't think my school has enough clamps to clamp one box... not with other people wanting clamps too.. lol
Old 20th January 2003, 11:13 AM   #16
Banned

Default Re: Beginning my first project

Quote:
Several Concerns I have:

The driver cost of around $115 is where I'd like to stay if anyone has any other driver suggestions.
Is that what you want to spend? Or how much the peerless ones cost? IS that for all the drivers? That is, 2 woofers and 2 tweeters?

Do the 2 peerless tweeters and 2 peerless woofers cost $115?? Sorry, but I had to ask lol
Old 20th January 2003, 11:17 AM   #17
Banned

Quote:
Well, the 10" idea is gone for now.

The reason I wont be implemented a sub for awhile is my mom. I haven't been able convince her that its a neccesary piece of the puzzle, she only thinks I want it to destroy our house.
How old are you? I have a problem with my mum too.. But with these speakers, I had half the money I needed for the drivers, so I went ahead and ordered them, then asked dad if I could borrow the money.. Where were you planning on gettign your drivers from? Could you go with 8inch rather than 6.5? Then use larger tower speakers boxes to get better bass..
Old 20th January 2003, 11:27 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Well, $115 is what the drivers cost and its around where I want to spend. I have more moeny, but this is my "limit" that I've arbitrarily set for myself. It includes all 4 drivers.

I'm 16, and my mom is really stubborn when it comes to this stuff so I know how you feel. She tells me DIY Audio is a passing phase and i'll grow out of it and im wasting my money, blah, blah, blah.

I thought about this over the night, And I think I want to go with a Vifa D27 tweeter, so I have the low Fs, and the peerless 850122 becasue it goes much lower than the other 6.5's ive been able to find in my price range.

A goal I hope to acheive now is a minimum number of parts for the crossover. This is for two reasons, I dont like complicated ones and fear they will rob me of audio pureness, and 2)I can afford better parts if I only get two caps and two inductors.

So if anyone doesnt have a problem with this particular idea, I beleive I will order the drivers tonight and then get some cabinet ideas circulating.
Old 20th January 2003, 11:33 AM   #19
Banned

Nah, I have no problem with this, its just that I am only paying $210 Australian for my peerless drivers.... you may be able to get yours for cheaper.. And, don't forget that my woofer is 8inch.. lol Thats about half that US dollars.. right? lol
Old 20th January 2003, 12:02 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
She tells me DIY Audio is a passing phase and i'll grow out of it and im wasting my money, blah, blah, blah.
You can impress her when you can sell your projects and recoup the money spent. That's why you should try and do your best with your projects and make them look as good as they sound so that you can easily sell it to your friends and keep going with new projects. Then she may even brag about your products to her friends too...

Just my way to get more pocket money for my hobbies when I was your age....
Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!