Ausio Test Equipment - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2001, 04:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

I was about to jump into a full suite of test equipment for designing and testing audio equipment and circuits, particularly for speakers and drivers. But decided before I divested myself of several thousand dollars for a full suite of test equipment including scope, tone generator and etc, how much of this equipment can virtual and be a simple plug-in software for a PC. I surely do not need another shelf full of test goodies if I can get away without it.

Any links or downloads to information would be great, especially for an audio tone generators, frequency counters, and oscilloscopes.

Thank you,

Surf, Sun & Sound
Old 29th October 2001, 05:21 AM   #2
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

S3:

This is one place to start:
http://www.wssh.net/~wattsup/audio/
Old 29th October 2001, 08:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default One thing that you might consider...

Is the WOOFER TESTER available from Parts Express. Affordable. Hooks up to your PC and runs Theile/Small for woofers and midranges. Help you find tweeter resonance also.
Old 29th October 2001, 09:17 AM   #4
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Test gear

You could try a good quiet, but inexpensive sound card (e.g. SBLive) and SpectraLAB or similar. It can do FFT, THD, THD+N, etc.

http://www.soundtechnology.com for more info.

Also http://www.purebits.com

Andy.
Old 29th October 2001, 11:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The investment really depends on how serious a designer you want to become. We use CLIO-lite for measurement and testing, combined with LspCAD Pro for enclosure and XO design. These 2 combined cost roughly $1200; and are really everything needed for designing and testing advanced loudspeakers systems.
Old 30th October 2001, 07:29 AM   #6
ergo is offline ergo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

I'm currently using a setup of Leadtek Winfast 4X (CMedia CMI8738 chip) and Sony MDS-JE520 minidisk player for AD/DA conversion connected to pc with optical cables....

As software I use SpectraLab (for amp distortion etc. measurements) and JustMLS (for loudspeaker frequency, impedance and phase response measurements). With one minidisk one can achieve either a very good DA or AD conversion. On the other hand this is what is mostly needed. I have a test cd with test tones. So with amp measurements I use my cd player as a signal source (the player is heavily tweaked Marantz CD67mkII). It has very low noise and distortion figures and makes a good enough source for such measurements. For loudspeaker testing I use the pc soundcard analog out as signal source, as it is good enough for that task, and measurement mic through mic preamp to minidisk analog in and digitally to pc...

Anyway, such a measurement setup is very affordable. I bought the minidisk used so it was additional price cut. Plus such a setup gives a benefit of real good sound from pc for watching movies etc. I also own a SB Live but the MD is still another level...

Hide this!Advertise here!