speaker building (beginner)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i would still like to be able to more choose the mid/woofer my self

then know how to make room in the box for the tweeter
after the program says it needs so room with what port

then what do i then do to add room for putting a tweeter in.

e.g

Vented box of 7 liters (0.25cf);
1.5" port by 4.4" long; F3 65Hz
then what would i do to add the tweeter in ?

this aint the driver i will proble use just how i would go about it next

You have to calculate the approximate displacement of the tweeter, the mid/woofer, and the port itself and then increase the box size by that amount. In other words, the programs that calculate box size are referring are calculating NET box size, after subtracting the volume of anything you stick in the box.

i haven't seen a program for this, but that's not to say there isn't one out there. just use the basic math formulas for the volume of a cone and the volume of a cylinder and take your own rough mreasurements. It's not that precise. If unsure, make your box a little on the large size. you can alway glue a wood block in it to take up some of the space (or add more stuffing) if you need to, but you can't make a small box larger.

The volume enclosed by the part does not count as part of the volume of the box.

no, the tweeter is not designed to require any particular amount of space behind it, since it is so small in diameter and its range of motion is so limited. All of the calculations about box space and port size are purely for the benefit of the mid/woofer. The only thing that you need to think about regarding box space and the tweeter is the tweeter takes up some of the space in the box and for that reason, it affects the behavior of the mid/woof

thanks least i am learning why the programs dont seem to bother with have the tweeter in them

what would u say about bracing in bookshelf type speaker because not so much of a big power sub wont need alot or is there anything else that comes into that

o and what sort of tuning to you like in a speaker like book shelf or a 3 way

e.g subs can be like 20hz ?

i like mine a little bit basy but as i have 5.1 wont need to be really cos i havce sub anyway

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
You should not be concerned about the space of a tweeter, its so little and the possibly wrong specs of the woofer has more influense on the result - unless offcourse if you are doing a waveguide

If you simm/calculate on some drivers you will see that there is a minimum and max volume within which the woofer should work properly - but that ofcourse is in theory

Its possible to build a test cabinet, which volume you can change to find the size with the best sound... its also possible to change the volume with a sandbag - but be aware that it will always be a compromise

yer but for me it aint going to be perfect anyway not for a while

and witch would u say is better to go for the bigger option of the 2 or in middle ish ?

what sort of FS port u think be good for a book shelf and 3 way

more of films / music bit both really

i know each person likes there own but just like an average choice

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I would say it depends on the selected drivers

If you really want to play .... maybe a 3" Tangband with 8"-10"-12" woofer could give you some fun and listening pleasure

Come to think of it .... being english you should be able to get the 12" Mivoc AW 3000 .... its nice and bassy and it will be "easy" to make xo with a TB 3" fullrange

i mean just an average tuning for speakers book shelf 3 way

like car subs are 30/40hz

home subs 20hz

u know like that

the 12 inch sub i am thinking of getting is a monolith far few people that have got it says is is like one fo the best about £90

right now i use a compx directed sub

i have 1 good as new JL10w6 one bit old and warn
and just sold one yesterday night that was like new. :)

Download WinISD and play with it.

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd

It's free, and it's simple to use.

Enter the thiele-small parameters of any driver you are considering using and you can play with box size and tuning and see what happens with the overall frequency response of the driver/enclosure combination.

You'll see right away why there is no "generic tuning frequency" that makes sense, but it depends totally on the parameters of the driver.

yer i was more seeing what type of tuning do people like

or go for i have that program and now i more understand about the tweeter i will more have a play as before i was looking for something that could do it all :)

would be nice if they could do the box bit a lil more maybe get it to be able to produce a box like bassbox pro does

but anyway thanks :)

when you get into it you'll see that there is usually a tradeoff between "lower bass" (boomy) and "tighter bass" for a given driver. Also between bass response and size. That's why there is not one right answer, even for a single driver. It depends on the intended use and the listener's preference.

yer i understand that

like i like a good bass but as my system is 5.1 films and music

i have a big sub if i want some real bass so i like a bit of all. so if the sub aint on there is still some bass comming out

but anyway was more looking for an average of what the general use

like home subs 20hz
car subs 33hz ish

rear speakers ...
fronts
center

i understand some like vents some dont. some like more bass that overs

anyway thanks

my center speaker is the b&w cc6 think thats like 40hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.