Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 1st February 2008, 05:04 AM   #2031
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by dlneubec
What I noticed in comparing your clean driver and the EnABL'd one below it is the changes in the upper midrange, from about 2khz to 7khz or so. It appears to my untrained eye that the decay is faster, the decay lines are more uniform (less peaking in the lines) and the lines are more consistently spaced than in the untreated driver.
Here is a comp of those 2 charts to enable easier comparison... red is clean. Blue (EnABL) on top so anywhere you only see blue means that the red curve is right underneath.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif cleanvenabl-comp.gif (66.3 KB, 437 views)

Old 1st February 2008, 05:21 AM   #2032
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

And clean vrs mortitie 1

anyone want to see anything else, ask.
Attached Images
File Type: gif clean-vmortite1.gif (60.8 KB, 414 views)

Old 1st February 2008, 11:51 AM   #2033
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the overlays Dave. There are a little bussy, but you gave me an idea. If you load my web page

http://www.musicanddesign.com/Enable.html

when you move the mouse over one of the CSD plots the Clean Driver CSD plot will appear. Moving the mouse off the plot and the CSD for the treated driver appears. This shows very dramatically the change due to the treatmnet. You will see the differences in deacy, changes in resonant frequencies and changes in resonance Qs. Very dramatic.

One thing I find distrubing is that the full enable treatment, in this case, tended to make the first few resonance higher Q and more defined.

I also added a CSD at the bottom which compares Mortite 1(mouse off) with Full Enable (mouse on).
Make sure you give the page time ot load fully. It can yake a while with dial up.

Old 1st February 2008, 11:55 AM   #2034
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by john k...
Thanks for the overlays Dave. There are a little bussy, but you gave me an idea. If you load my web page

http://www.musicanddesign.com/Enable.html

when you move the mouse over one of the CSD plots the Clean Driver CSD plot will appear. Moving the mouse off the plot and the CSD for the treated driver appears. This shows very dramatically the change due to the treatmnet. You will see the differences in deacy, changes in resonant frequencies and changes in resonance Qs. Very dramatic.

One thing I find distrubing is that the full enable treatment, in this case, tended to make the first few resonance higher Q and more defined.

I also added a CSD at the bottom which compares Mortite 1(mouse off) with Full Enable (mouse on).
Make sure you give the page time ot load fully. It can yake a while with dial up.
Cool way to display it.

Old 1st February 2008, 12:32 PM   #2035
dlr is offline dlr  United States
diyAudio Member

The image swap with the cursor is helpful. I'll have to remember that for new pages where it would be useful.

Quote:
The same thing occurs when tweaking the surround directly the way manufacturers have for more than a decade. The mod I made to the Insignia was inspired by the better drivers that often were treated this way. Since the issue is the mechanical impedance at the junction and it being a complex one, it's frequency dependent (as you know) and will not IME show uniform change across the spectrum when treated, just as you show for your tests of diaphragm mods.

I noted the same issues in my writeup of that Insignia mod. Some areas showed some detrimental changes, but the passband being the focus and most important aspect, my copying of the manufacturers' commonly found "tweak" shows some resonances being reduced while some had higher magnitude and Q.

Click the image to open in full size.

The major first resonance mode around 1KHz is greatly improved, but the upper area resonances are made a bit worse with very little change at the top end. Since this is a mid-woofer, the crossover will help by pushing all of the upper area down into the stop band, of course. The changes in the distortion amplification of non-linear motor distortion and harmonic distortion I never measured. I still have the original MLS measurements and could show the harmonic distortion that LAUD extracts from them, but it's going to be limited to the lower orders due to the 48K sampling frequency.

Interestingly, there's essentially no change at all above about 9K for this driver. It's a woven diaphragm driver, so the upper breakup seems to be defined almost exclusively by the properties of the diaphragm totally isolated from the surround, or so it appears.

Dave

Old 1st February 2008, 03:58 PM   #2036
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
when you move the mouse over one of the CSD plots the Clean Driver CSD plot will appear.
This doesn't seem to work in any of the browsers i have handy (iCab, Safari, Camino or FireFox)

dave

Old 1st February 2008, 04:17 PM   #2037
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

This doesn't seem to work in any of the browsers i have handy (iCab, Safari, Camino or FireFox)

dave
Works fine for me in Firefox 2 (on XP). Have you got Javascript turned off? (JavaScript OnMouseOver is the browser event involved).

Old 1st February 2008, 04:31 PM   #2038
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

dave

Also make sure you allow the page to fully load. It won't work unless all the images are loaded. It can take a second or two for the change to take affect as well.

Old 1st February 2008, 04:33 PM   #2039
Banned

John K,

I use mortite for gaskets when I mount drivers and to damp horns- seems to sound better - I was wondering if you just placed tiny dabs on the cone or you put any thought to it beyond that? Sure looks prettier then stock or 'enable' - How big were the dots? Maybe small dabs of silicon glue would be similar but permanent. I can see a drum roll coming on and little dots of mortite being propelled at me

Old 1st February 2008, 04:38 PM   #2040
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Have you got Javascript turned off? (JavaScript OnMouseOver is the browser event involved).
Quote:
Also make sure you allow the page to fully load. It won't work unless all the images are loaded. It can take a second or two for the change to take affect as well.
Yes, yes, yes.

When i get back, i'll specifically try the 3 different vesrions of JavaScript available in my primamry browsers... (because there is no standard for javascript it is guaranteed to break somewhere)

dave

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!