EnABL Processes - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 30th April 2007, 05:04 AM   #101
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

soongsc,

Look at the last post, #30 on the third page of this thread, for a patent drawing of how to treat a dome and mounting plate. Then look at the third post from bottom on page 8. Post #78, of this thread to see an almost complete treatment of the front surface of a dome and cone/dome system by ultrakaz. He also posted on another thread, on page two, about treating a pair of Fostex drivers with both Mamboni and EnABL and what his subjective responses were.

Help me kill a fostex artifact.

Then go to Positive Feedback Online, here:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...ndingwaves.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the article and look at the three sets of comparisons of abstracted CSD plot time points of a cheap paper cone tweeter. The last comparison is the actual benefit of the EnABL process, though amplitude differences and frequency smoothing can also be found in most drivers. Not the purpose of the process, however.

Bud

Old 30th April 2007, 05:08 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

John,

To be hoped that model / hobby shops will carry both. I habitually use Poly S Flat Finish #404106. I am sure the other pigmented paints will work and will certainly be easier to see than the flat clear stuff I have always used, precisely because you could not see it.

Bud

Old 30th April 2007, 05:21 AM   #103
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BudP
soongsc,

Look at the last post, #30 on the third page of this thread, for a patent drawing of how to treat a dome and mounting plate. Then look at the third post from bottom on page 8. Post #78, of this thread to see an almost complete treatment of the front surface of a dome and cone/dome system by ultrakaz. He also posted on another thread, on page two, about treating a pair of Fostex drivers with both Mamboni and EnABL and what his subjective responses were.

Help me kill a fostex artifact.

Then go to Positive Feedback Online, here:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...ndingwaves.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the article and look at the three sets of comparisons of abstracted CSD plot time points of a cheap paper cone tweeter. The last comparison is the actual benefit of the EnABL process, though amplitude differences and frequency smoothing can also be found in most drivers. Not the purpose of the process, however.

Bud
I was wondering whether thickness of the pattern makes significant difference. But it seems like I will have to try myself (as always). The examples are all non-metal coned drivers, so they are irrelevent to my test. I suspect the painted drivers alone improves the spectral decay and frequency response.

I might even do an FEA on a cone just to figure some things out. Man, I wish driver designers would do better work at this.

Old 30th April 2007, 05:47 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

soongsc,

Sorry, forgot that detail.

On metal cones, of which I have treated probably 50 plus, including the original Ohm F's this pattern was developed on, the dried paint thickness does not exceed .003 inch and is usually less than .002 inch. The added mass is negligible. I do coat the metal drivers with the Micro Gloss product from MicroScale products. Typically just over the pattern area, thus adding about another .002 maximum to the block height.

Ultrakaz used a much thicker acrylic paint to form the blocks on the Fostex driver and since there was already a varnish applied to the paper, sealing it, the height and likely also the mass would have been greater than I normally use.

Again we are controlling the emitting surface only, even though that has a profound effect upon the performance of the driver it is only surface effect, boundary layer interaction, that the EnABL pattern id useful for.

Bud

Old 30th April 2007, 07:28 AM   #105
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Bud,

What I'm trying to figure out overall effect. For example, reynolds number will be part of the factor determining the boundary layer thickness and whether we have a turbulent or laminar boundary layer depending on surface roughness. With the type of paint that I had used in the past, 0.5cc would amount to around 0.25g of dry paint which also effects a small metal cone driver. So these are some of the things I try to figure out. I also try to be prepared to restore original driver characteristics if the results are not what I expect. In this case, I will be using alcohol removeable paint. I have used toothpaste for some tests as well.

Old 30th April 2007, 09:18 AM   #106
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
fewer coats
Do the EnABL squares require more than one coat?

Old 30th April 2007, 09:59 AM   #107
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bas Horneman
Do the EnABL squares require more than one coat?
As i understand it, no.

dave

Old 30th April 2007, 11:51 AM   #108
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Because some squares aren't as shiny/pronounced as the others. Like they've been soaked up a little.

Click the image to open in full size.

I did these without templates..(as you can see)..just outer pair start with overlap....inside pair of squares start parallel with last outside pair...repeat.

Old 30th April 2007, 12:21 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

I asked this before and got no repsponse. Why not use adhesive back felt for the Mamboni process? It is available at many hardware stores and also at McMaster-Carr online. You would probably be able to remove it, if it was not to your liking and not ruin a cone.

Bud, on the EnAble I have the same questions. Why not cut out small rectangles from adhesive tape, scotch tape, packaging tape, adhesive back mylar, etc. It would then be removable. You could lay out a long peice of 2" wide tape on a clean hard surface and cut a line of grids throug the tape with a sharp exacto blade and then peal each one up and place with some tweezers or something similar. Maybe the rectangles are too small for the inner side of the cone, but it seems like it could work for the outer edge. I'm thinking mostly of using this kind of application on a smooth, metal cone drivers. Any thoughts?

Old 30th April 2007, 01:41 PM   #110
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Hi Gang,

Polly S is available from the Testor web site: http://www.testors.com/catalog_brand...br=2&ictNbr=57

Microscale is available at http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/...y_Code=FINPROD

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!