Beyond the Ariel

Lynn,
From your answer, I see I phrased the question badly. :)
Did you consider a .5" Compression driver / horn as a super tweeter?
As far as I know, only B&C makes one.
It sounds like it would work, but you never know.
If you use an approprate horn profile, it should retain much of the character of the mid-range horn..

Doug

How much you can push a horn depends a lot on the listener tastes and room- JBL for example specs the 1" exit 2426 to 500Hz in a level-limited app- I've run it just a smidge below 1k on a large 90 degree conical OSWG, and never felt I was asking too much from the phragm.

I agree with the decade rule, however, and never did try to get much above 10k out of it (the response dies there anyway and I needed to preserve sensitivity).

A fella can achieve high sensitivity from the Heil AMT1s by waveguiding it, which actually will do 1k-20k at around 96dB quite nicely, but it's not by any stretch a traditional horn, just a waveguide determining coverage pattern and terminating the device properly instead of with the hard edges. It buys a few dB in the low end of its response, letting you suppress that with the XO and get more SPL per watt and diaphragm displacement.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just a brief update:
Thanks for the advice on the Stanton 681, Lynn. :up: I have it running now with a new conical stylus and it seems rather nice. Seems a good fit for the mass of the Grado maple arm. Surface noise is much reduced from the Shure MM cart I had before.

Balance between channels is near perfect - just a small fraction of a decibel difference Left to Right. I checked it on two mono pressings, a Decca from 1949 and an RCA from 1968. Tracking force is now at 2.7g. Might need to adjust that for best tracking - but it's not bad now. Will check with the Shure tracking LP which came with the record collection.

Hi ... ports are a pain. Lynn says he is using a distributed port which could be close to Onken style if I guess correctly. I see nothing about using larger conventional ports with the exception of box depth limits and frontal area fit considerations. All programs just use a "no-noise" approach for minimum size. Where is some data on larger vent area ports? I would like to use many 2" or 3" dia ports on a 16 cu ft 2x15 box.
Onken, though not conventional, uses up to 85% of Sd and does pretty will as my 1954 Jensen Ultraflex's attest to.
Thanks, Zene

Last edited:
Pano ... pics would be banned by moderator. I never finished, just modified for a 15", braced the hell out of it and threw in a Paudio 150 I had extra so is not a good match. Front full of white filler and no grill. Not something I would want to show. Lacks bass as you might expect but otherwise not bad. As soon as I get a decent bass up and running I will finish and then can display.
Zene

For your inspiration:
dsc01330small.jpg

La Orphean MkII ... Do no-one care that it not be time aligned? Thought we audiopiles were
nit picky about that kind of things? I be one that do.
Zene

I assumed that the horn mount allows moving along the z-axis to accomplish such. I know I will maintain such flexibility until it is aligned. I won't stretch to the use of coax CDs. Even a single CD will allow me plenty of room for "improvement" over my last effort.

Last edited:
Wires

Lynn, and Bud .
A relevant ( hopefully ) post here .
If you think you've sorted the speaker wire issue with Bud's Litz/cotton specials , I've got bad news for you !
Just bought some Tellurium Q Blue speaker cable, and now have some 'Black' on loan which is running-in and playing as we speak .
This company is making waves here in the UK , 5-star reviews on all their stuff . The Black costs about £300 for a 3m pair , unfortunately, for us DIY fans ...

My comments here if you are interested :
Colin Wonfor - Page 3 - World-Designs-Forum

I could imagine a fascinating conversation ( about heatshrink ? ! ) if Bud and Colin got together !

Mark