Beyond the Ariel

I'm interested if they actually make their gear there or sub it out to you-know-where.

It almost certainly has to be coming from China.. It's likely however that design and control are US-based.

Speaking of China.. the amps I'd probably choose are NOT from Emotiva (..though they look very good for the money). Rather I'd spend the cash for 4 JungSon Duro's (+ a few good voltage converters with stabilization).

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
It almost certainly has to be coming from China.. It's likely however that design and control are US-based.

Speaking of China.. the amps I'd probably choose are NOT from Emotiva (..though they look very good for the money). Rather I'd spend the cash for 4 JungSon Duro's (+ a few good voltage converters with stabilization).

I'll know more after I take a look at the plant. Not that being made at one place vs. another has that much merit in today's world - quality of design and construction, parts used, specifications and how they get measured etc. are much more important IMO.

I've built a couple of Steve Dunlap's 50W "Krills" for audio but for HT I would like to go HTPC and some DIY outboard amps (pick your flavor).:eek:

Okay, got the "ARTA MeasuringBox" finished so now I can do impedance plots with LIMP.
This one is of just the TD15M installed in its ~3 cf sealed enclosure, no crossover:

TD15Mimp-1.jpg

Gary Dahl

Last edited:
Cool Gary Dahl. I need to build one. Anyway, what are your target filters? ex: LR2 of 4 at 600Hz, active/passive, pre or post amp, or have no real idea yet? With that impedance curve this is going to be a disgustingly easy traditional style crossover. That's a serious motor in there.

Thanks for posting and keep us posted,

Dan

Is is 1.3 or 1.4? 1.3 will pass through 3D at 1080i, 1.4 will do 1080P. (..something to look at with the various receivers/processors.)

Correction..

It appears that even thought 1.3 can handle 3D, that it won't work with the FHD3D EDID.. :mad:

HDGURU.Com 3D HDTV and HDMI Explained

In fact I don't think there are *any* HDMI 1.4 *processors* available (..though there are several receivers). Sucks to be an "early adopter".

EDIT: here is one: http://www.avland.co.uk/aasp/onkyo/1020/prsc5508/prsc5508.asp
and the model "under" it:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Onkyo+-...ssor/9701419.p?skuId=9701419&id=1218152460760

Last edited:
...what are your target filters? ex: LR2 of 4 at 600Hz, active/passive, pre or post amp, or have no real idea yet?

My plan is to use passive filters for everything except the TD15H. For the TD15M, I expect to end up somewhere in the 600-800 range. I will start with a Zobel, see what it looks like with a 2nd-order filter, and go from there. Lynn has experience with crossover design, so I will be relying on his guidance.

The Radian 745 will require quite a bit of attenuation to match levels with the TD15M. Ultimately, an autoformer will be used for this purpose. I have some Universal Transformer 3619's that should be useful for prototyping. Once we have a good idea of where we will end up, I would like to have David Slagle build some for permanent use.

The ribbon tweeter (Aurum Cantus G3) is a bit of a gamble. I am hoping it has enough sensitivity to keep up with the TD15M. It should have no trouble according to the specs (100 dB/1W, according to the manufacturer, but most of the response curve runs 2-3 dB lower). Users of the Aurum Cantus ribbons have reported their output to run well below spec, however, so I'll just have to see what I get. The TD15M is rated at 97.8 dB/1W. We have already seen its elevated response above 1.5 kHz, so that's probably well above what I will get from the part of the frequency range I will be using.

Ultimately, I don't care what the absolute sensitivity level is; my only concern is getting levels matched between drivers.

Gary Dahl

Just curious.

Can Radian 745-8PB (w/ Azurahorn AH-425) work with the rear cover removed? Or, how well can it operate like that?

Would it be possible to analyse theose peaks on the impedance sweep (and the effects on performace)? What would be the possible reasons for that one on 1.2kHz? Phase plug or read chamber?

I haven't seen many CD measurements, but I guess the HF behavior of this big guy must be very good.

I set up for measuring the impulse response of the Radian/Azurahorn combo. Distance is 1.5 meters. I have attached the corresponding files in .pir and .wav formats. Vertical scale is arbitrary; the gain of my power amp hasn't been accounted for. The mic preamp doesn't invert phase, so it's probably the power amp, a Parasound HCA-1500A.

The Radian drivers are Lynn's, so I'm not going to open them up unless he wants me to.

Here's the IR for the Radian 745PB-8 at 1.5 m:

RadianIR.jpg

Here's the FR from the same setup:

RadianFR.jpg

Gary Dahl

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    153.3 KB · Views: 79
Thanks Doug!

Crossovers don't exist yet. Bass cabinet (PR-loaded TD15H) will be powered by a plate amp. TD15M, Radian 745 and G3 ribbon will be passively crossed over at ~600-800 Hz and ~8 kHz. Attenuation for the Radian will be carried out using an autoformer.

Just managed to complete impedance curves, so crossover design is the next step. Anyone wanna help?

Gary Dahl

Hi,

I plotted some wavelets from the RAdian/Azurahorn IR file.

Here's a 'CSD' equivalent wavelet:
RadianIR_multireso_wavelet.png

Here's amplitude normalised to see better the temporal effects:
RadianIR_norm_multireso_wavelet.png

Above 8kHz it's crap.

Here's constant Q transform, and it's reassignment:
RadianIR_reassigned2_wavelet.png

Can I see consecutive reflections/diffractions? :) Either the driver, or the throat-mouth ping-pong?

- Elias

I set up for measuring the impulse response of the Radian/Azurahorn combo. Distance is 1.5 meters. I have attached the corresponding files in .pir and .wav formats. Vertical scale is arbitrary; the gain of my power amp hasn't been accounted for. The mic preamp doesn't invert phase, so it's probably the power amp, a Parasound HCA-1500A.

The Radian drivers are Lynn's, so I'm not going to open them up unless he wants me to.

Here's the IR for the Radian 745PB-8 at 1.5 m: