Beyond the Ariel - Page 900 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2013, 09:19 AM   #8991
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
It appears Tannoy was way ahead of it's time.

As for Wilson, they appeal to the "appearance" first crowd. Although, they recently started the to transition to soft dome tweeters, and now are much less annoying to listen to.
I think they are just shying away from a problem they cannot solve by moving to soft domes.
Old 3rd July 2013, 03:37 AM   #8992
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

Lynn,

I was looking at pictures of the AZURAHORN AH-425, and They appear to terminate at the mouth at between 90 and 120 degrees.

I understand that a Le Cléac’h Horn should have a mouth rollback of about 360 degrees.

What did this compromise entail?
I was looking at the frequency response and impedance plots on this site and it looks like there is some ripple in the 1k and below measurements.

https://sites.google.com/site/driver...ura-425hz-horn

Doug
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:25 PM   #8993
krzys is offline krzys  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Autotech alternative ?

The Autotech JMLC horns have mouth termination not fare from 180 degrees. I have the 325 and the 1000 horns. The FR is smooter in the mids tha Azura horn. Does anyone considered them as an alternative to the Azuras? Lynn have you looked or tried them ?
Chris
Ps first graph is for Azura 425
Attached Images
File Type: png Azura 425 Polarresponse_3dBscale.png (30.1 KB, 605 views)
File Type: jpg JMLC_directivity.jpg (84.1 KB, 607 views)
File Type: jpg jmlc350.jpg (267.0 KB, 621 views)
Old 3rd July 2013, 07:19 PM   #8994
siepi is offline siepi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Radian Beryllium domes

Hi

i talked the other day to a very nice guy at radian who told me that they are ramping up production for the Beryllium domes for their drivers which means that the 745 neo is now available w/ truextent diaphragm from materion through usspeaker .

i was also told that all other CD's will be available w/ the new Be diaphragm .

i will have to try them and see what the fuss about BE is about .
Old 4th July 2013, 05:16 AM   #8995
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

krzys,

I like the Auto-Tech horns, but I can't find what T value Auto-Tech used.
I was looking at the JMLC-400 as being more equivalent in size to the AH-425.

I would be interested in seeing if others have hands on experience with the Auto-Tech horns.

Doug
Old 4th July 2013, 10:06 AM   #8996
diyAudio Member

The DriverVault notch between 3 and 4 kHz is a driver artifact, as far as I can tell. The width and depth of this notch was not the same between the two 288's tested by DriverVault, leading me to surmise that either the centering of the diaphragm, or differences in radiation from the tangential surrounds, is responsible.

The notch is not present with the Radian 745Neo driver, with very smooth response between 700 Hz and 10 kHz. Radians use a stretched Mylar surround instead of the Altec/GPA stamped tangential aluminum surround, as well as a different phase plug. (My understanding is the Radian 745Neo has a more sophisticated phase plug than the 745 ceramic, which gives smoother response in the 1~5 kHz region, as well as a little bit higher efficiency.) The potential downside of a stretched Mylar surround is a higher Fs for the compression driver, which limits the lowest frequency that can be safely used with low distortion.

The question with any LeCleac'h horn is the match between the exit angle of the compression driver, and entrance angle of the horn. These should be as close as possible, and if there's a mismatch, it's better that the exit angle of the compression driver is a bit narrower than the horn entrance.

If compression drivers and horns are mixed-n-matched without attention to exit angle, the response variations might be the result of mismatch, instead of anything the horn is doing. Similarly, it's a good idea to see how much difference there is between different samples of compression drivers ... if there is, that points to potential problems with the diaphragms.

Last edited by Lynn Olson; 4th July 2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 4th July 2013, 12:25 PM   #8997
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougL View Post
krzys,

I like the Auto-Tech horns, but I can't find what T value Auto-Tech used.
I was looking at the JMLC-400 as being more equivalent in size to the AH-425.
Doug
Dough, I can not find the reference but as I remember T is 0.8. Maybe JZagaja or JMLC can chime in and confirm. They have designed those horns together.
I like those horns very much, they measure and sound very well, much better than my previous Tractrix 400 Stereorlab horns. They are BIG!
Old 4th July 2013, 08:30 PM   #8998
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzys View Post
Dough, I can not find the reference but as I remember T is 0.8. Maybe JZagaja or JMLC can chime in and confirm. They have designed those horns together.

I like those horns very much, they measure and sound very well, much better than my previous Tractrix 400 Stereorlab horns. They are BIG!
The entrance angle would be of interest also: zero degree, eight degrees, or what?

I agree about the sonic (and measured) differences between LeCleac'h and Tractrix horns. In addition to lower (nearly absent) horn coloration, the LeCleac'h profile has a very deep "3D" presentation, which they share with the big Altec 1505 and 1005 multicell horns.
Old 5th July 2013, 11:54 AM   #8999
diyAudio Member

Lynn, directly from Jzagaja , the entrance angle of the Autotech 1.4" 350 JMLC is 5 degrees (half angle as I understand). Since I use GPA 288 with an angle of 4 degrees, it is very close.
Chris
Old 5th July 2013, 12:20 PM   #9000
jzagaja is offline jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jzagaja
Autotech always use T=0,8 except JMLC-200 which uses T=0. JMLC-200T uses T=0,8 as well. JMLC-350 has half angle of 7 degrees. It's good for tweeter application especially with new Radian 475-Be that we just received.

Hide this!Advertise here!