Beyond the Ariel - Page 857 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2013, 07:32 PM   #8561
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuconz View Post
we have completely 'shanghaied' this forum topic here.
I agree we have.
My only point was that I was agreeing with Lynn that 1/4 inch is audible.
Old 29th March 2013, 02:16 PM   #8562
diyAudio Member

Location: Sitting behind the 'puter screen, in Illinois, USA, planet earth
Hi Kindhornman
Sorry to have intruded in your thread but since you guys were talking about something (where the sound goes) which is vitally important in large scale sound and I had thought folks might have been interested in what governs that. Yes in hifi land, a horn is not a flat baffle but more because of the names and mindset BUT NOT because there is a difference in the way the sound propagates from a small source.
For what I do, I have found that latter view to be a useful way to approach acoustic problems.

So far as Donís contributions to Audio or perhaps what important contributions are, maybe we see things a little differently. If you choose to ignore out of hand a usable thumb rule because some past writing didnít sit well, that is one way to approach it..
For me, that paper was a turning point in horn design and still today, to avoid the narrowing at pattern loss, the last part of the horn has to have a wider horn wall angle as he identified.

For me after a loudspeaker life confined to below 100Hz and work life in acoustic levitation above 20KHz, In 1999 It was sort of a realization about why that kind of horn had poor lf loading that lead to the full range Unity horn and now the Synergy horns our business is based on.
Tom
Old 29th March 2013, 02:58 PM   #8563
diyAudio Member

Hi Tom, Most grateful as always for your effort in making things comprehensible. I have a folder of your posts going back many years. Good to iterate HornResp models for horns out to a flat baffle.

martin
Old 29th March 2013, 05:56 PM   #8564
diyAudio Member

Tom,
I wasn't knocking Keele, Not really, I just haven't read anything from him since some very early PA sound book years ago that did have some earlier misinformation. I am not disregarding what he has said subsequently since then, I just literally haven't seen or read anything by him since then. I didn't ban his work or have a grudge, just haven't read more current papers he may have written.

I am not discounting your approach to looking at a flat baffle as a horn either, though it is not the common practice or definition that most would relate between flat baffle and horn. I have a few ideas about some of what goes on and some of that I just keep to myself, not looking for any arguments here, I just think sometimes some issues are overlooked and other effects attributed to a phenomena.
Old 30th March 2013, 02:18 AM   #8565
diyAudio Member

Mr Danley, what do you have for your own home hifi speaker system? I briefly heard an early clone of your Unity mid/high horn was impressed. Now I see you've extended the range much lower. Do you have a system that is a single horn from 100 cycles up that is "hifi?"
Old 31st March 2013, 03:03 AM   #8566
diyAudio Member

Location: Sitting behind the 'puter screen, in Illinois, USA, planet earth
Hi Pooh
I have had several of our products from work in my listening system room while they were in development. I even had a J-2 for a while (a large full range horn) while I was working out an internal bug, but being 5 feet tall horn, it took up too much space to have 2. Most of the time I have had a pair of old SH-50ís for above 70Hz and a pair of TH-50 prototypes for low frequency.
Before these, I had the older Unity type horns one of which you heard.
Both radiate as if they were one source (no lobes or nulls) but the Synergy horn eliminates the remaining phase shift normal crossovers impose, they radiate as if they had one very wide band driver in time and space.
Best,
Tom
Old 31st March 2013, 03:21 AM   #8567
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Danley View Post
..Yes in hifi land, a horn is not a flat baffle but more because of the names and mindset BUT NOT because there is a difference in the way the sound propagates from a small source.
For what I do, I have found that latter view to be a useful way to approach acoustic problems.
Tom

I think somewhat similarly.. though the last time I mentioned it was in relation to terminology, specifically:

A waveguide is guide for waves - anything that limits directivity is essentially a waveguide. This includes the baffle, and depending on freq. - even a driver's diaphragm.

A horn on the other hand is a subset of a waveguide, more specifically a waveguide that limits dispersion expressly for gain. ie. Horns are all about gain, not dispersion control though they necessarily have that as well.

Some waveguides utilize absorption and are not horns (exhibiting no gain as a result of the dispersion control). Other waveguides exhibit gain only incidentally (often not utilizing it, or "padding" it down), and really aren't "horns" either.
Old 31st March 2013, 07:02 AM   #8568
diyAudio Member

Thanks Tom
Old 9th April 2013, 03:02 AM   #8569
nuconz is offline nuconz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuconz View Post
don't recall the name of the company but i remember a "motional feedback" system that had some type of connectivity to the back of the amp/receiver. saw one of these in a hi-fi shop in "gatorville". might have only been a servo controlled system.
interestingly enough there is a philips motional feedback system on ebay that closes tonight. i just happened to find it when looking at another auction.

Philips RH541 Motion Feedback MFB Powered Speakers Superb | eBay
Old 9th April 2013, 08:15 PM   #8570
jpak is offline jpak  United States
diyAudio Member

Lynn do you find the LTO maintains the superb imaging of the Ariel?

Hide this!Advertise here!