Beyond the Ariel - Page 844 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2013, 04:11 PM   #8431
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOH View Post
There are plenty of modern 15's that I prefer over the old Altecs (I have 416, biflex, 515G, and 3156 here) but who cares? It's your system not mine.
could you mention them ?
Old 19th March 2013, 04:18 PM   #8432
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Its ok. Just trying to lighten the mood. Not offended in the least. Makes perfect sense that smaller diamter drivers may do better above 600 for no other reason than directivity matching. That being said, lot of folks like the sound of big diaghram speakers that far up where all the meat of muscic is. I am interested in the 15's you like better, as I am just beginning my horn journey and experience is quite a money service.
How bout a good deal on those terrible 416's
I like the Altec 416, it is far from terrible and i like them in a vented box used up to 800 hz crossed to a good tractrix horn and 1" compression driver. My Altecs are not for sale i horde speakers.

A real sleeper 15 that is modern is the Celestion 1530. They are better then the Altec in the midrange when I compe them but won't go as low in a bass reflex. There are others, Eminence Delta 15, peavey 1508, TAD 1601, JBL 2225, all have a place where they are good, many others, the 515G Altec I use in a folded bass horn mono system up to 300, it is excellent for that
Old 19th March 2013, 04:41 PM   #8433
diyAudio Member

I would say some of the differences between some of the older and newer large cone drivers were the efficiency that the old driver had to have to work with the lower powered amps available at the time. It is the difference between a light weight cone and a very heavy damped cone used in most professional application. Now we have very stiff suspensions to handle the power loading and heavy cones for both power handling at elevated level and larger motors to handle high power. Some of the m-roll surround used today are so stiff it is unbelievable. One company that I never seem to see mentioned here is the McCauley line of pro audio speakers, another high power handling speaker. The TAD cone loudspeakers are very much the analogous of a JBL as they had the same designer. The TAD 15" are really a very good copy of the JBL 2225 at a much higher cost.
Old 19th March 2013, 04:56 PM   #8434
diyAudio Member

yes, some older drivers surely deserve their place in modern hifi systems, - many modern drivers are very good too, many are the lower end from pro manufacturer where power handling isn't the emphasis

here is a modern compression driver that I like a lot for high treble - it's from Celestion too.

Compression Drivers / Neo - CDX1-1425 - Celestion - Guitar, Bass & Pro Audio Speakers
Old 19th March 2013, 05:08 PM   #8435
nuconz is offline nuconz  United States
diyAudio Member

what about this one?

Celestion CDX1-1415 Neo 1" Compression Driver 20W 294-2130
Old 19th March 2013, 06:28 PM   #8436
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuconz View Post
Never had one of those - it looks to be a smaller magnet version of what I have with slightly lower sensitivity and power handling. If you don't need the efficiency and don't crank to super loud levels it more than likely is a great treble driver. I recommend using these little drivers from 5K up regardless of what the manufacture says. If you want to crossover lower and sacrifice the top octave extension a little try the Dayton polymide 250 driver at Parts Express. It's around 50 dollars and sounds pretty darn nice down to 1200 HZ in a good horn.
Old 19th March 2013, 06:38 PM   #8437
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

I guess most of 1" should be used over 3k regardless of what the manufacture says
Old 19th March 2013, 06:45 PM   #8438
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limono View Post
I guess most of 1" should be used over 3k regardless of what the manufacture says
I have used the JBL 2470 and TAD 2001 down to 500. Many others 800 or 1200. Using a horn that loads it properly is recommended though - Here is the Dayton 250 polymide driver - reflections above 10k are bad - it sounds good 1.2K up even in a short horn like the SEOS waveguide. That's what it was in when I measured this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LOGPE250.jpg (99.8 KB, 301 views)
Old 19th March 2013, 06:54 PM   #8439
nuconz is offline nuconz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOH View Post
Never had one of those - it looks to be a smaller magnet version of what I have with slightly lower sensitivity and power handling. If you don't need the efficiency and don't crank to super loud levels it more than likely is a great treble driver. I recommend using these little drivers from 5K up regardless of what the manufacture says. If you want to crossover lower and sacrifice the top octave extension a little try the Dayton polymide 250 driver at Parts Express. It's around 50 dollars and sounds pretty darn nice down to 1200 HZ in a good horn.
ok, thanks. i have a pair of the jbl CD horns, the ones in the studio monitor, and want some nice drivers for them. don't like the harsh sound typical of most horns.
Old 19th March 2013, 06:55 PM   #8440
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limono View Post
if those with 1" voice coil, then yes

Hide this!Advertise here!