Beyond the Ariel - Page 834 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2012, 05:19 PM   #8331
EarlK is offline EarlK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
WRT distortion testing, I've no experience or even considered it since I don't recall seeing anything published by Altec in either cut sheets or in tech bulletins beyond recommending that in any type of high power app the speaker's components be limited to a decade, implying that in any consumer app short of a frat party it was a non-issue, so wondering what the distortion looks like when the driver is BW limited 2nd order to 500-5k, etc..
- Looks to me like 1K to 10K is a more realistic BW ( for distortion products, when aligning diaphragms ) .

Click the image to open in full size.

- ( Obviously from above ) Altec did publish a few distortion specs ( for their later drivers bolted onto their horns ) / granted, specs are few & far between .

- I suppose I might moderate the goal ( of a 15db spread between H2 & H3 ) down to 12db ( to match Altecs own stats ) / but heck / all these newer horns/waveguides ( sans diffraction slot ) are widely touted for their lower distortion , so why not shoot for a 15db spread to see if it's achievable ?

<> EarlK
Old 1st November 2012, 03:22 AM   #8332
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
I didn't 'hone' the response per se, I align honed the driver, steel shim and horn entrance with a three stone brake master cylinder hone attached to an electric drill to make the transitions as seamless/smooth as practical.
LOL! OK, you really did hone them. Make sense, I just didn't take you literally. Porting and polishing the horns, eh? Real audio hot-rodding is cool.
Old 1st November 2012, 11:27 PM   #8333
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
LOL! OK, you really did hone them. Make sense, I just didn't take you literally. Porting and polishing the horns, eh? Real audio hot-rodding is cool.
Wait until you see the tuned extractor pipes!
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:36 AM   #8334
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
triple chrome plated ???
Old 2nd November 2012, 03:04 PM   #8335
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

For chrome you pay extra:

The pipes are the ports. Courtesy of Pellegrene Acoustics

acoustic waveguides
Old 2nd November 2012, 05:48 PM   #8336
diyAudio Member

Location: Sitting behind the 'puter screen, in Illinois, USA, planet earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
I didn't think to chrome these but it would have been a nice surprise when they took the lid off haha.
Best,
Tom Danley
pix at 2739

Collaborative Tapped horn project

Last edited by Tom Danley; 2nd November 2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 4th November 2012, 06:01 PM   #8337
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandPink View Post
Lynn, and Bud .
A relevant ( hopefully ) post here .
If you think you've sorted the speaker wire issue with Bud's Litz/cotton specials , I've got bad news for you !
Just bought some Tellurium Q Blue speaker cable, and now have some 'Black' on loan which is running-in and playing as we speak .
This company is making waves here in the UK , 5-star reviews on all their stuff . The Black costs about £300 for a 3m pair , unfortunately, for us DIY fans ...

My comments here if you are interested :
Colin Wonfor - Page 3 - World-Designs-Forum
Mark, you have no idea how timely this post is for me. I'm looking into this litz / cotton world and frankly unless I want to spend $1k for a larger quantity than I need (new), finding litz to the 99.99 spec is not so easy. ...nor is the cotton.

I was hoping I could start with a kick-*** DIY cable and only then invite the commercial stuff to compete (and with a return policy). But because of the low price of the TQ cables you mentioned above, one possibility is to start out with the TQ and then have the litz/cotton attempt to compete. I will have to rearrange things in my house before I can proceed with the right length of cables. In the meantime, I can follow things and see how they develop. Same goes for this speaker.
Old 4th November 2012, 10:55 PM   #8338
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemb View Post
Mark, ...
Above I forgot to ask my questions. I'll ask now...

Mark, how is the testing going with the TQ black?

And how do the highs compare to the litz/cotton?

And finally, on your litz cables, how many pieces of shrink tubing do you have, how big are they, and how far are they spaced apart?
Old 5th November 2012, 08:04 PM   #8339
diyAudio Member

Default Wire

Hi Charlie
Well, the HF-end of the Blacks is not quite there ( not as good as Bud's litz ) but I've got one length on burn-in with a signal generator currently, as I'm told it takes anywhere from 100-300 hrs at normal volumes to reach its best . I hope it comes around, as the coherence from mids to bass is really something .
For Lynn's benefit, what I'm hearing with this wire is like going from an RC RIAA network to an LCR one, in a phono, in that there is a much better dynamic and tonal integration between the bass and mids .

For info, on the litz, I am currently using what Bud suggested, which is one piece of heatshrink about 1.5" long , every 0.5m or so ( sorry to mix units ) . As I have said, I have no theory at all about what this is doing, except that it makes a big difference to the sound !
It may be that I will experiment a bit more with extra pieces now, given what I've been hearing from the TQ wires.
Old 6th November 2012, 08:14 AM   #8340
Jmmlc is offline Jmmlc  France
R.I.P.

Hello,

Lot of OT things those last days isn't it?

Le blog de audiobricolos

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Hide this!Advertise here!