Beyond the Ariel - Page 819 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2012, 01:51 AM   #8181
diyAudio Member

Be great. Would you have time to do horns close as well? I would appreciate as I'm contemplating using my own Tractrix lower mid horn with some A7's if I can find good empty cabinets. Did you forget pics of your system? (hint)
Zene
Old 1st October 2012, 04:06 AM   #8182
diyAudio Member

I assume you've seen this pic from post #8012

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st October 2012, 06:15 AM   #8183
diyAudio Member

Jj ... if I may shorten; it will do just fine, thanks. Tell Pano to save his strength for something important. Zene
Old 2nd October 2012, 02:35 AM   #8184
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

yeah, you don't really want of see more pix of my system - it's uglier than I am!
Old 2nd October 2012, 01:22 PM   #8185
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Pano, I spy a turntable in the room. What's up with that?
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:32 PM   #8186
diyAudio Moderator

Stinking old analog on black plastic platters. Hardly worth listening to.
Old 2nd October 2012, 06:37 PM   #8187
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Stinking old analog on black plastic platters. Hardly worth listening to.
I'll cover the shipping if you wish to throw them my way.
Old 3rd October 2012, 03:29 AM   #8188
diyAudio Member

It's a shame the 25 minutes per side limitation. I can't find the advantage in getting up and flipping the disc between the second and third movement no matter how enthusiastic I might be about the deadness of digital. Shouldn't have gotten into classical music I guess.
Old 3rd October 2012, 04:21 AM   #8189
diyAudio Moderator

Funny thing about those black pizzas with music on them, they have stuff on both sides! The little silver discs don't.

I got the TT and a Dynakit ST-35 together at an estate sale. Also picked up 500 records for $30. Because they were all classical, no one wanted them. (I did!) All rather old, 1950s, 1960s, lots of choral music. I believe the owner, a music teacher, died in 1971 and his widow kept it all.

TT is a Rek-O-Kut Rondine JR (idler wheel drive) with a very pretty Grado maple wood tone arm. Early 60's vintage. $20 It came with a Grado model B cart, but it was missing a channel, alas. Would really have liked to play with it, as it was one of the few high fidelity ceramic carts on the market.

Been revamping the Rek-O-Kut and it's working well now. OK, I do need a better phono preamp, the little Lafayette Radio phono pre is cute, but doesn't sound great.
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:22 AM   #8190
diyAudio Member

Slap a Stanton spherical-stylus model into that beautiful Grado arm, and you're all set. The spherical stylus will work happily (and not cause much record wear) at 3 grams, which is a good match for the Grado, since the fairly high pivot friction would make going lower inadvisable (1-gram carts didn't exist when the arm was designed in the mid-Fifties).

I like Stanton because they were widely used to evaluate the sound of the freshly cut master, and give a good representation of Fifties to Sixties record sound (well, an Ortofon SPU does too, but that's getting a little freaky).

Then again, when I get my Technics SL1210 up and running, likely as not, I'll probably get an SPU for myself. I think it's kind of nuts to expect an LP to sound like digital - all recording mediums have a "sound", whether it's 44.1/16 PCM, 192/24 PCM, DSD/SACD, LP, or 15 or 30 IPS second-generation dubs of the mastertape. They all sound different, and more important, different from the mike-feed. For that matter, mikes all sound different too, and engineers like to use lots of EQ no matter what mikes they are using.

An important point about using a spherical stylus is that records made back then were "diameter compensated" to correct for tracing loss as the stylus got closer to the center of the record - in other words, a bit of HF emphasis was added to compensate for the slightly duller sound as the spherical stylus had trouble tracing the tightly packed inner grooves. Listen to these same records with a modern fine-line stylus, and don't be surprised if it gets a bit brighter sounder as you get closer to the inner grooves. Diameter compensation fell out of use in the mid-to-late Seventies when elliptical styli became the hifi norm, but by then, mastering quality was going pretty quickly downhill, partly due to ugly-sounding Crown DC300 amplifiers to drive the cutterheads.

Last edited by Lynn Olson; 3rd October 2012 at 08:35 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!