Beyond the Ariel - Page 810 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2012, 09:16 AM   #8091
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Hi, Just wanted to go along what Bud said, there are currently many very cheap (as in under $500, some under $200) USB interfaces that will play asynchronous 192Khz/24bit and some of them will go up to 384khz and can also play DSD.

Besides m2tech, take a look at www.exadevices.com > Home and exaSound Audio Design > Home . Considering the price tags you mentioned earlier, I believe these are affordable Also, there are lots of DIY initiatives with apparently very good results in this area, which hover around the $100 price tag. A very good blog on this is here: H i F i D U I N O he is experimenting with some chinese interfaces, Musiland and he changes the DAC section, psu, clock, etc. Very good stuff.

Bonus, the exa devices interface streams i2s on eight channels, great for digital crossovers, 5.1, whatever. Eight channels of 384Khz, 32bit, technology is moving along..

Last edited by SunRa; 16th September 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 16th September 2012, 09:25 AM   #8092
Banned

is there anything that does usb to XLR aes/ebu?
Old 16th September 2012, 02:54 PM   #8093
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
The Altec forum measurements(fig 1) match data from several other sources. Aluminum and Titanium diaphragms have break-up modes between 10KHz and 15KHz, but beryllium does not typically break-up until above 18Khz, and usually only above 20Khz. This SPL data shows the more extensive break-up of titanium over aluminum diaphragms.

The general viewpoint is that a beryllium diaphragm has little value with a 2" exit compression driver because the 4" mechanical diaphragm plus phase plug frequency limit is below 10Khz, especially when distortion is also considered. Aluminum diaphragms typically do not start break-up until above 10Khz.

The general viewpoint is that the expense of a Be diaphragm is probably only justified for a 1.4"-1.5" CD to remove Al/Ti 10K-15Khz break-up distortion(fig 2), or for a 1" CD to avoid break-up distortion until over 20Khz(example: TAD 2001). High frequency boost compensation can now extend a flat response to near 20KHz.(3)
Then there is a sound of beryllium and tone (or lack of it in TAD drivers. They are like a breath of cold fresh air in the room with a synthetic feel to it. One changes amplification from SET to PP to SS and general feeling remains .They certainly have the impressiveness "built-in" , some love it , some not . You simply can't comment without experiencing one in the system, they don't sound like JBL or Altec, at all. Rgrds, L
Old 16th September 2012, 03:00 PM   #8094
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Lynn, thanks for the price run down - that helps a lot.
As you can see, I don't go for fancy stuff, even tho I like some of it.

I've used a Hiface USB to Spdif and it worked well, but really no better than some of the other stuff I use. At the moment I'm using an M-Audio Fast Track Pro for USB to Spdif duties. A little expensive just for that, but it's also a great measurement card that's been invaluable to me. It allows 96/24 out, which is plenty for me. My Squeezebox touch does the same.

My DAC is a modified Berhinger DEQ2496. It allows graphic and parametric EQ (as well as a few other tricks) all in the digital domain. Very handy for room corrections, which I use gently. The signal comes straight out of the excellent AKM DAC chips to a pair of Bud's lovely 1:1 transformers. Beautiful! I can also plug in Cinemag, Peerless, Jensen, Sowther, Edcor etc. They all sound good, but all a little different. I have not yet upgraded the analog section PSU, but need to. It makes a very positive difference in the DCX, so should in the DEQ as well.

From the transformers I hit a 4 gang stepped attenuator for balanced volume control. Then on to the amp. If the amp has a volume control, I can skip the attenuator.

For digital playback I run either JRiver Media center or Squeezebox server. JRiver is great and very flexible. The volume control in Jriver is very good, it's done in 32 or 64 bit float, then output as you choose, 32, 24 or 16 bit. I use 24 bit. I've not been able to find any problems with the digital volume, either by ear or by measurement.

I'm happy!
Old 16th September 2012, 03:09 PM   #8095
koja is offline koja  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default speaker behind the thread?

I am new to this thread. it is very long. a lot of general discussion about speaker design. I wanted to check what speaker topology it settled upon to see if that is something I might be interested in. Can anyone point me to where the actual speaker design is detailed out? Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 04:40 PM   #8096
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koja View Post
I am new to this thread. it is very long. a lot of general discussion about speaker design. I wanted to check what speaker topology it settled upon to see if that is something I might be interested in. Can anyone point me to where the actual speaker design is detailed out? Thanks
Here is Lynn's latest description:
Beyond the Ariel

It also has a supertweeter starting at about 7 KHz.

It is also not finished. So I don't know about "settled upon." In human nature, this means that it could change.

After hearing Pano's exquisit system through my own amps, I'm considering building now. If I do start now, I accept that I'll be building it twice; and the second time could be quite different once Lynn finally settles on a first version.

Last edited by charliemb; 16th September 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 16th September 2012, 07:10 PM   #8097
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Olson View Post

The TAD line..I've heard that loudspeaker and did not like it at all.

+1 for

..funny how it's often mentioned that concentric designs can have such impressive depth of field. NOT from TAD (when I've heard them). Then add an over-all artifical sound (with a somewhat "bright" forward emphasis), makes me wonder if reviewers reviewing them (and "singing" their praises), aren't listening to a completely different loudspeaker.
Old 16th September 2012, 08:15 PM   #8098
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Olson View Post
The bass driver is an Altec/GPA 416B (Alnico magnet, 16 ohm version), the HF horn is an Azurahorn AH425, the large-format compression driver is either a Radian 745Neo (Neodymium magnet, 16 ohms) or Altec/GPA 288 (Alnico magnet, 16 ohms), and the passive crossovers are 3rd-order lowpass at 700 Hz (transitional between Butterworth and Bessel) for the 15-bass driver, and a 4th-order highpass at 700 Hz (transitional between Bessel and LR4) for the HF driver.
pardon my ignorance lynn but the thread is really far to long to find an answer: were there any talks from your side if a satisfactory results could be reached with an 1" driver. very practical reasons - i can get an 1" AH340 horn locally.

it doesnt make it impossible to reach an aimed 700hz with the best 1" CDs around, altec 802 alnico, radian 475 etc....
Old 16th September 2012, 09:05 PM   #8099
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

JBL 2425 and 2426 are specc'd to 500hz with proper loading and steep filters, for level-limited apps.
Old 16th September 2012, 11:06 PM   #8100
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
... makes me wonder if reviewers reviewing them (and "singing" their praises), aren't listening to a completely different loudspeaker.
Maybe just a different crossover?

Hide this!Advertise here!