Beyond the Ariel - Page 808 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2012, 07:33 PM   #8071
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
could be that the answer to my question is somewhere at these previous 807 pages but is there any 1" driver suitable for home use here, as i currently have 340 horns with 1" throat, not keen on cutting them to accomodate 1.5" or 2".

i know the saying that the worst 2" sounds better than the best 1" CD but realistically, is there anything that can fit the bill here?
Designing a speaker system is a series of compromises. To me, the 2" doesn't necessarily sound "better", it just has a different limitations, and needs a different system to sound its best. Lynn has Identified a combination of drivers he loves. Your choice is to either follow his lead, or find a different compromise you can live with.
Old 14th September 2012, 08:44 PM   #8072
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
What is the foam I found in notebook speakers that looks like very light metal? It is suspended on very thin rubber.
Old 14th September 2012, 08:53 PM   #8073
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
A couple of years ago we were discussing the beryllium 'frams over on the Altec forum (IIRC). I don't think I've ever heard one, but from all the measurements, they seemed only slightly better than aluminum. Didn't seem worth the costs and hassle to me. The jump from titanium to aluminum is a good one for SQ, but then onto beryllium there just isn't that much change in the measurements.
From most of the measurements I've seen it's all about increasing the size of the diaphragm WITHOUT decreasing the upper freq. response.

The engineered net result is often a *lower* freq. response with a similar higher freq. response. (..and sometimes that upper freq. response is "cleaner" or more linear.)

I guess it becomes a question of "do you want an extra 100 Hz of low freq. extension while maintaining a 15+ kHz upper freq. response on-axis"?

I'm not sure though if it's why some might prefer a Be diaphragm or not (..and in fact I suspect it isn't).
Old 14th September 2012, 11:39 PM   #8074
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A couple of years ago we were discussing the beryllium 'frams over on the Altec forum (IIRC). I don't think I've ever heard one, but from all the measurements, they seemed only slightly better than aluminum. Didn't seem worth the costs and hassle to me. The jump from titanium to aluminum is a good one for SQ, but then onto beryllium there just isn't that much change in the measurements.
Hello Pano

There isn't much difference in the measurements. Were you looking at these??

Truextent White-paper for Large Format Diaphragms

I think a lot of how people feel about the jump is where there past experience lies. I started with undamped titanium and the jump from damped vs undamped was significant. I then went to Be and again there was a jump. Later on I ended up with an Array center that uses a damped aluminum diaphragm. It sounds really good to me. I have it running side by side with Be drivers and I am not all that sure I could tell the difference. The blend across the front of my HT is quite good when things pan.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TV Center.jpg (59.3 KB, 499 views)
Old 15th September 2012, 12:37 AM   #8075
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
could be that the answer to my question is somewhere at these previous 807 pages but is there any 1" driver suitable for home use here, as i currently have 340 horns with 1" throat, not keen on cutting them to accomodate 1.5" or 2".

due to shipping or hi costs of local manufacturing i'd still prefer to use a 1" 340 horn.... any thoughts?
I have a Radian 475pb 1" CD and it is very nice but needs some EQ adjustment, at least it does in the cheap horns/waveguides I have played with.
When the EQ/response is right it sounds absolutely beautiful.
Old 15th September 2012, 12:54 AM   #8076
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah Rob, that was the paper. I remember to charts and that beryllium had a better top end than aluminum, but nothing else was much different. I would certainly take the aluminum over the titanium, by ear and by chart, but the Be just didn't seem a huge improvement over the Alu. Not enough to warrant the cost.

Thanks for your listening impressions. Nice to know.
Old 15th September 2012, 03:28 PM   #8077
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Gee.. what a lovely specimen of a centre unit.
Without doubt Transformers 3 will be much better enjoyed now that it has a 'bit of Beryllium' tweeter
Seriously tho: isn't Be a seriously Toxic substance ?
Old 15th September 2012, 03:53 PM   #8078
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It is toxic. Just don't lick the tweeters and you'll be OK.
Old 15th September 2012, 04:38 PM   #8079
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

The dust is.
Old 15th September 2012, 04:44 PM   #8080
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
*Quick O.T.
Do you know of an artist that covers correctly the obscure in her time Siberian Yanka Dyagileva? The early lost ''Russian Patti Smith'' in my humble opinion.
No, it is beyond the scope of my knowledge.

Hide this!Advertise here!