Beyond the Ariel - Page 735 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2010, 05:10 AM   #7341
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
Pano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kona, Hawaii
Blog Entries: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Olson View Post
... the displayed gamut should range from bright yellow to dark indigo.
That would make a nice visual scale of intensity, I agree.

And even monochrome can do well if used well.
There are the same number of steps in each gray section as in the color version.
Attached Images
File Type: png revamped-chartBW.png (27.8 KB, 457 views)
__________________
Take the Speaker Voltage Test!
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 06:37 AM   #7342
diyAudio Member
 
Lynn Olson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern Colorado
Just spoke to Gary Dahl on the phone; he's making good progress on the system integration, and is pleased with what he's hearing so far. More to come.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 07:23 AM   #7343
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member
 
soongsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
That would make a nice visual scale of intensity, I agree.

And even monochrome can do well if used well.
There are the same number of steps in each gray section as in the color version.
Looks terrible with the red.
__________________
Hear the real thing!
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 02:20 PM   #7344
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
Pano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kona, Hawaii
Blog Entries: 4
Yes it does.
You like this better?
Attached Images
File Type: png revamped-chartBW2.png (47.5 KB, 416 views)
__________________
Take the Speaker Voltage Test!
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2010, 06:01 AM   #7345
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member
 
soongsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
Yes it does.
You like this better?
That looks like a video test screen for black and white TV.
__________________
Hear the real thing!
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2010, 06:07 AM   #7346
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member
 
soongsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Olson View Post
Just spoke to Gary Dahl on the phone; he's making good progress on the system integration, and is pleased with what he's hearing so far. More to come.
Hope he's faster than I. I have one that I was pleased with over a year ago. But it just kept getting better that Kept me wondering how good will it get.Hit the G spot when I zeroed in on the interconnect.
__________________
Hear the real thing!
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2010, 05:05 PM   #7347
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member
 
gedlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Novi, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
My point, which I must not have made well, is that the color scheme in Elias's graph is visually misleading. As yellow appears brighter to the eye then any of the other colors, the yellow areas appear to have a "higher" value. They do not. In fact it's the dark red color that represents the highest values. Unfortunately for the sake of visual clarity they don't look "higher".

That's why I suggested that another color scheme might better represent the levels to the eye.
You made your point quite well, I undertood it immediately. I use the "JET" scheme (or close) because it was easy to program and uses the whole range of colors - thats why it is done. But your point is completely correct.

So using the standard RGB scale of a PC what should the color range be that identifies the levels by brightness? I'd like to use the whole range of colors and I don't like grey scale because it definately is not ideal (been there done that).


And this is not a trvial point IMO.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2010, 05:39 PM   #7348
JohnPM is offline JohnPM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
So using the standard RGB scale of a PC what should the color range be that identifies the levels by brightness? I'd like to use the whole range of colors and I don't like grey scale because it definately is not ideal (been there done that).
There is more than one answer to that. The luminance (greyscale equivalent) of a given RGB colour is Y = 0.3R + 0.59G + 0.11B (for typical RGB primaries), achieving a uniform range of Y is possible using many RGB combinations.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2010, 06:39 PM   #7349
mige0 is offline mige0  Austria
diyAudio Member
 
mige0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Austria, at a beautiful place right in the heart of the Alps.
Please Pano, leave it in color - you know - *a bunch of gray pictures* simply would not "sound right"...
LOL

I really love you guys approaching the issue from a simple side !!



Michael

Last edited by mige0; 26th September 2010 at 06:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2010, 08:08 PM   #7350
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member
 
gedlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Novi, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPM View Post
There is more than one answer to that. The luminance (greyscale equivalent) of a given RGB colour is Y = 0.3R + 0.59G + 0.11B (for typical RGB primaries), achieving a uniform range of Y is possible using many RGB combinations.
OK, then it should be easy since I am only asking for one solution!

Let's say we start with yellow at the top, which is 255 red and 255 green in RGB. Should I assume that it should end in red?, no probably blue by what you say above. My point to Pano would simply be that it is no simple matter to come up with a color algorithm that would produce a continuos array of colors such that the luminance would be a continuos slope. In fact, it may not even be poossible.

What about yellow -> green -> blue -> purple -> Red ? What you want is a scheme like "Jet" which only varies one color at a time, then another one and so on. Otherwise its a complex mess.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:58 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2