Beyond the Ariel - Page 72 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2007, 11:46 PM   #711
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by mige0
does anybody know if anybody ever tried a field coil hybride?
Aren't the Fertin & Supravox both hybrids (as opposed to pure field-coils)?

dave
Old 9th May 2007, 12:03 AM   #712
diyAudio Member

Default just wondering...

if anybody here is using Comsol 3.3 ? I know that Onur Ilkuror has access to this program at his university and he tells me that it is a very powerful tool. Regards.
Old 9th May 2007, 12:18 PM   #713
mige0 is offline mige0  Austria
diyAudio Member

Location: Austria, at a beautiful place right in the heart of the Alps.
Hi

Quote:
if anybody here is using Comsol 3.3 ? I know that Onur Ilkuror has access to this program at his university and he tells me that it is a very powerful tool.
There is also FEMM

http://femm.foster-miller.net/wiki/HomePage
"http://femm.foster-miller.net/wiki/HomePage"

Weaken the field with a coil would increase the Q of the speaker to some degree what might be good for OB but has also trade off's with distortions when leaving the saturation area.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/se...ges/37696.html
"http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/set/messages/37696.html"

For other applications it might be good to "overdrive" the field of the magnet, going even deeper into saturation.
I would expect that the sonic characteristic should become more that of the fieldcoil speakers this way.

Greetings
Michael
Old 10th May 2007, 03:28 AM   #714
fiacono is offline fiacono  Australia
diyAudio Member

Lynn,

I guess it's time to start building and experimenting...

My full ranger will be the 12" TT Alnico (since I already have a couple).
My preference is to use one amplifier for the full panel and its limiting my driver selections for the mid/bass and bass drivers (Qts > .5)
The new 15" Super Boy Tone Tubby Qts is 238javascript:smilie('')
mad

Would be Ok to use 2 X 16 ohms 12" TT ceramics for the Mid/Bass and Bass?
Are any other alternatives? Been googling but can't find anything suitable.

regards
Frank
Old 10th May 2007, 03:31 AM   #715
fiacono is offline fiacono  Australia
diyAudio Member

Oops, not sure what happend to the decimal point
15" TT Super Boy Qts = .238

regards
Frank
Old 10th May 2007, 04:43 AM   #716
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fiacono
Lynn,

I guess it's time to start building and experimenting...

My full ranger will be the 12" TT Alnico (since I already have a couple).
My preference is to use one amplifier for the full panel and its limiting my driver selections for the mid/bass and bass drivers (Qts > .5)
The new 15" Super Boy Tone Tubby Qts is 0.238
mad

Would be Ok to use 2 X 16 ohms 12" TT ceramics for the Mid/Bass and Bass?
Are any other alternatives? Been googling but can't find anything suitable.

regards
Frank
Hi Frank -

Yes, I'd certainly use a pair of 12" TT ceramics. They'll be tonally compatible with the widreange driver, an important consideration. By intentionally using conventional air-core inductors for the cascaded lowpass filter, you'll be adding an ohm or so of series resistance to the midbass and bass drivers, for once, a good thing.

I've been thinking along similar lines for other drivers, too. If the superb Radian 12" coaxial is used, the obvious choices for the midbass and bass drivers would be the Radian 15" and 18" drivers. If the 18Sound 12NDA520 is used, the obvious choice for the midbass and bass drivers would also be tonally similar 15 and 18-inch models of the 18Sound drivers.

On a closely related topic, I've made a cross-post over in the OB/ScottG thread. The following post by Magnetar certainly has some delicious pictures.

Since there seems to be universal agreement amongst the serious, been-there-done-that compression driver crowd that large format is the way to go - those wonderfully relaxed but super-dynamic mids and lower treble - there's also a following for supertweeters as well.

It hadn't really occurred to me that the Radian 5312 coax could be used with a supertweeter, but since it uses a 2-inch exit/3-inch-diaphragm compression driver, it's not a bad idea. Here's an interesting candidate: the RAAL 140-15D ribbon tweeter.

Extending the discussion over in the OB/ScottG thread, horns are terrific at extremely low distortion and wide dynamic range, but asking for more than a decade of frequency response is going to compromise performance at one end or the other. At the low end, there's the triple catastrophe of excess excursion, horn cutoff, and the standing wave region just above cutoff. At the top, you're pushing what the diaphragm can do, and reach the first-breakup region. The less you ask of the bandwidth, the more you get back in terms of relaxed sound and low distortion.
Old 10th May 2007, 01:06 PM   #717
Banned

Lynn,

I have been eyeing these 8" Radian Coax's on ebay......

No experiance with them but I'd wager they are sweet if you use a good 15 below them.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10th May 2007, 02:54 PM   #718
diyAudio Member

Default Talk to Radian...

I cannot recall the details but when I purchased a set of these some years back they (Radian) told me that the plastic cone versions were the ones to get. The ones I have have the stamped frames and the half round surround with the plastic cones.
If the price is $125.00 the pair you could afford to have Radian recone them for you. Remove the comp driver to save some shipping cost. Worth a phone call to Radian to discuss the options.
Old 10th May 2007, 04:37 PM   #719
diyAudio Member

I thought you all might enjoy reading about this alternate take on a line array open baffle with 8 Visaton B200s a side in parallel!

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...topic=39460.20
Old 10th May 2007, 07:14 PM   #720
Banned

Default Re: Talk to Radian...

Quote:
Originally posted by moray james
I cannot recall the details but when I purchased a set of these some years back they (Radian) told me that the plastic cone versions were the ones to get. The ones I have have the stamped frames and the half round surround with the plastic cones.
If the price is $125.00 the pair you could afford to have Radian recone them for you. Remove the comp driver to save some shipping cost. Worth a phone call to Radian to discuss the options.

What's wrong with the compression driver?

I prefer paper cones over plastic and cast frames over stamped!

I just bought a pair from him for $ 200.00 - the compression drivers are worth more then that At least to anyone looking for a good new 1" aluminum compression driver

Hide this!Advertise here!