Beyond the Ariel - Page 719 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2010, 05:28 AM   #7181
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post

I'm interested if they actually make their gear there or sub it out to you-know-where.

It almost certainly has to be coming from China.. It's likely however that design and control are US-based.

Speaking of China.. the amps I'd probably choose are NOT from Emotiva (..though they look very good for the money). Rather I'd spend the cash for 4 JungSon Duro's (+ a few good voltage converters with stabilization).

Last edited by ScottG; 15th August 2010 at 05:32 AM.
Old 15th August 2010, 05:42 AM   #7182
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
It almost certainly has to be coming from China.. It's likely however that design and control are US-based.

Speaking of China.. the amps I'd probably choose are NOT from Emotiva (..though they look very good for the money). Rather I'd spend the cash for 4 JungSon Duro's (+ a few good voltage converters with stabilization).
I'll know more after I take a look at the plant. Not that being made at one place vs. another has that much merit in today's world - quality of design and construction, parts used, specifications and how they get measured etc. are much more important IMO.

I've built a couple of Steve Dunlap's 50W "Krills" for audio but for HT I would like to go HTPC and some DIY outboard amps (pick your flavor).
Old 15th August 2010, 08:15 AM   #7183
g3dahl is offline g3dahl  United States
diyAudio Member

Okay, got the "ARTA MeasuringBox" finished so now I can do impedance plots with LIMP.
This one is of just the TD15M installed in its ~3 cf sealed enclosure, no crossover:

Click the image to open in full size.

Gary Dahl

Last edited by g3dahl; 15th August 2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 15th August 2010, 04:25 PM   #7184
diyAudio Member

Cool Gary Dahl. I need to build one. Anyway, what are your target filters? ex: LR2 of 4 at 600Hz, active/passive, pre or post amp, or have no real idea yet? With that impedance curve this is going to be a disgustingly easy traditional style crossover. That's a serious motor in there.

Thanks for posting and keep us posted,

Dan
Old 15th August 2010, 04:35 PM   #7185
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Impedance never falls below 10 ohms?
Old 15th August 2010, 04:53 PM   #7186
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I had the same question, the overall impedance curve looks interesting.
Old 15th August 2010, 05:10 PM   #7187
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
Impedance never falls below 10 ohms?
Appears to be the case, although I didn't test below 40 Hz. Looks a lot like AE's results, except the difference in vertical scale, and of course, the location and magnitude of the impedance peak.

Click the image to open in full size.

Gary Dahl
Old 15th August 2010, 10:05 PM   #7188
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Is is 1.3 or 1.4? 1.3 will pass through 3D at 1080i, 1.4 will do 1080P. (..something to look at with the various receivers/processors.)
Correction..

It appears that even thought 1.3 can handle 3D, that it won't work with the FHD3D EDID..

HDGURU.Com 3D HDTV and HDMI Explained

In fact I don't think there are *any* HDMI 1.4 *processors* available (..though there are several receivers). Sucks to be an "early adopter".

EDIT: here is one: http://www.avland.co.uk/aasp/onkyo/1...8/prsc5508.asp
and the model "under" it:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Onkyo+-+...=1218152460760

Last edited by ScottG; 15th August 2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:06 AM   #7189
agent.5 is offline agent.5  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post
but for HT I would like to go HTPC and some DIY outboard amps (pick your flavor).
That's my thinking too. Play 1080p mkv video files, using a Linux HTPC with pro sound card. It is doubtful that HDMI plus all the extra layers of DRM is going to sound better.
Old 16th August 2010, 02:05 AM   #7190
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
...what are your target filters? ex: LR2 of 4 at 600Hz, active/passive, pre or post amp, or have no real idea yet?
My plan is to use passive filters for everything except the TD15H. For the TD15M, I expect to end up somewhere in the 600-800 range. I will start with a Zobel, see what it looks like with a 2nd-order filter, and go from there. Lynn has experience with crossover design, so I will be relying on his guidance.

The Radian 745 will require quite a bit of attenuation to match levels with the TD15M. Ultimately, an autoformer will be used for this purpose. I have some Universal Transformer 3619's that should be useful for prototyping. Once we have a good idea of where we will end up, I would like to have David Slagle build some for permanent use.

The ribbon tweeter (Aurum Cantus G3) is a bit of a gamble. I am hoping it has enough sensitivity to keep up with the TD15M. It should have no trouble according to the specs (100 dB/1W, according to the manufacturer, but most of the response curve runs 2-3 dB lower). Users of the Aurum Cantus ribbons have reported their output to run well below spec, however, so I'll just have to see what I get. The TD15M is rated at 97.8 dB/1W. We have already seen its elevated response above 1.5 kHz, so that's probably well above what I will get from the part of the frequency range I will be using.

Ultimately, I don't care what the absolute sensitivity level is; my only concern is getting levels matched between drivers.

Gary Dahl

Hide this!Advertise here!