Beyond the Ariel

... the results are the same as arguing about religion, it doesn't get anywhere, and just annoys people.

Which is the reason why I don't argue about perception and don't pay much attention to them when they happen. I'll argue reality as objectively defined and talk about that all day long, but things like "fast" and "colored" or whatever absurd ill-defined adjective one wants to use are pointless to me.

And Lynn, I agree with you about shows and yourself. You once said that you could not listen to my speakers because I used a solid state amp - needless to say, I thought that absurd!;)

Which is the reason why I don't argue about perception and don't pay much attention to them when they happen. I'll argue reality as objectively defined and talk about that all day long, but things like "fast" and "colored" or whatever absurd ill-defined adjective one wants to use are pointless to me.

And Lynn, I agree with you about shows and yourself. You once said that you could not listen to my speakers because I used a solid state amp - needless to say, I thought that absurd!;)

My communication at that RMAF show wasn't as clear as it could have been. I'm probably weird, but I hear what sounds like "transistor coloration". If I play with the internals of the amplifier circuit, I can crank it up and down by playing with slew rate, standing current in the driver, moving the Class AB bias around, type of rectifier in the power supply, etc. Unfortunately, these colorations can mimic speaker coloration, to the point where I can't tell them apart, particularly in the chaos, noise, and listening fatigue of a hifi show.

What I meant wasn't that I couldn't listen to your speakers; in fact, they sounded great, and way way better than the drek at the rest of the show. I just couldn't tune into the subtler aspects of the sound ... depth, tonality, the usual things. One of the drawbacks of a loud hifi show with really shrill demo rooms is that hearing acuity, and listening pleasure, can diminish rather quickly.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Who's going to prove everything just so they can plausibly argue that they don't like it, who has the time? As long as I accept that I may not be doing it right (or maybe I am). The onus of proof is right and good and who can argue with that, and it sure takes the sting out of the discussions. :apathic:

One of the mixed blessings of a slight degree of notoriety is that people sometimes walk up to me at hifi shows and at hifi shops and recognize me. They usually find I'm even more prejudiced and opinionated in person than in print (or electrons). That alienates some people and makes others laugh out loud. I have no way of knowing in advance how people are going to react.

Audiophiles and DIYer's seem to be all over the place. I've found the hard way most do not share my tastes. Last year at the RMAF, I sat directly between two really high-profile reviewers, both of whom I've known for more than 15 years, and they were ecstatic about XYZ speakers paired with ABC amplifiers. I thought the sound was awful, obviously distorted on the peaks, with pretty mediocre tonality even during the quiet passages. I just kept quiet, since the pair flanking me thought it was "the best sound of the show". It's not my job to argue with anyone's perceptions; the results are the same as arguing about religion, it doesn't get anywhere, and just annoys people.

I once sat next to an audiophile who I imagine was a regular reader of Stereophile or Absolute Sound. He had a detailed checklist with at least 20 different subjective parameters, and was steadily filling it in as we listened. He recognized me, and asked why I didn't use a checklist. My answer, which probably sounded smart-a** at the time, was that I either like a system or I don't. Well, really, I have three reactions: dislike, indifference, or enthusiasm. Not much in-between. Along with a keen, and somewhat unwanted, awareness of an assortment of technical faults in the crossover, drivers, or electronic defects.

If I don't hear too many defects (or can listen past them) I can feel enthusiasm. But my usual experience at a hifi show is walking in, hearing five things wrong all at once, and walking out again. I heard two good rooms at this year's RMAF, which seems about average.

Since educated audiophiles know that 50% of the presentation is the room and the rest a combination of system and expectation bias, I find it hard pressed to accept an opinion of a system based on so many variables. The rooms at shows aren't optimized for the purpose, nor is the noise floor or the opportunity for an optimal listening position. Nobody escapes expectation bias......positive nor negative.......that kind of indifference isn't possible. What you might not like at a show you may very well enjoy in the casual environment of your home. DIYers have a huge advantage here it optimizing the system to their space and preference but suffer the most from expectation bias.

.......and don't forget psychological association which has a lot to do with all of this.....the older we get, the more nostalgic and remeniscent we become.......'those were the days' lol.

Oh my...
For some of you it sounded like a blanket statement.
The more clever guys will understand that it was a personal statement.
No need for a retraction.
I agree, no need for a retraction 2 seconds after insulting everyone's intelligence. Well done, you just put yourself on a very low step on the ladder. Your statements now mean zero to a lot of people. Cheerio

My communication at that RMAF show wasn't as clear as it could have been. I'm probably weird, but I hear what sounds like "transistor coloration". If I play with the internals of the amplifier circuit, I can crank it up and down by playing with slew rate, standing current in the driver, moving the Class AB bias around, type of rectifier in the power supply, etc. Unfortunately, these colorations can mimic speaker coloration, to the point where I can't tell them apart, particularly in the chaos, noise, and listening fatigue of a hifi show.

What I meant wasn't that I couldn't listen to your speakers; in fact, they sounded great, and way way better than the drek at the rest of the show. I just couldn't tune into the subtler aspects of the sound ... depth, tonality, the usual things. One of the drawbacks of a loud hifi show with really shrill demo rooms is that hearing acuity, and listening pleasure, can diminish rather quickly.

I can't figure out if it was in a deliberate attempt to flaunt your differences with Earl, Lynn, that you chose to discuss colouration in detail as the basis of your grasp of sound quality, when replying to Earl's post that calls it an absurd and I'll-defined term.

I'm with Earl on this one. I hope you don't think it clarifies your unclear RMAF communication, to describe all the different types of colouration you can detect?

I can't figure out if it was in a deliberate attempt to flaunt your differences with Earl, Lynn, that you chose to discuss colouration in detail as the basis of your grasp of sound quality, when replying to Earl's post that calls it an absurd and I'll-defined term.

I'm with Earl on this one. I hope you don't think it clarifies your unclear RMAF communication, to describe all the different types of colouration you can detect?

I thought Lynn was clear

What is wrong with having a different opinion?

I use this techique all the time, HolmImpulse is really a perfect real-time tool for that.
I usually set the HP freq to 0.5*f and LP to 2*f and also scale transition width so a neatly enveloped burst develops which is both narrow-band enough and still has transient properties, plus it is linear-phase.
Easy to see with this filtering that with clean 0deg interphase XO's the envelopes do match in their shape and center-of-gravity points ("transient" alignment), as do the phases which affords a perfectly forward pointing lobing and a scalar (=maximum efficiency) SPL addition (on axis, at least). Both bursts almost look identical except for level, at all frequencies.
As for the actual filters needed for the drivers, it's more important to get the acoustical phases right to their targets than having perfectly smooth amplitude responses as long as it all sums correctly.

Very well said!

Here's one such measurement that I made a while back while working on the passive crossover for my own system.

EDIT: I still find some derivates of those "quasi-optimal" crossover functions often better sounding overall (thanks for your excellent input in that thread, btw).

Attachments

• Time alignment.png
    Time alignment.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Last year at the RMAF, I sat directly between two really high-profile reviewers, both of whom I've known for more than 15 years, and they were ecstatic about XYZ speakers paired with ABC amplifiers. I thought the sound was awful, obviously distorted on the peaks, with pretty mediocre tonality even during the quiet passages.
Having sat next to you at RMAF demos, I trust your hearing. :) I know only 3 or 4 other people with hearing skills as fine as yours. One would suppose the skills are learned for the most part, however most of us have not learned them.

Many people brag about their hearing in terms of high end extension. "I can hear up to 22 kHz" or similar brags. Or conversely, "I can't hear above 13K anymore". To me, that's just numbers. The few people I know with extraordinary listening skills can identify crossover points, slopes, hear distortions and identify them, easily pick out stylus mistracking, understand harmonics and phase, things like that. To me, that is real hearing skills.

Of course you'll find plenty of people across the web who deny those skills exist. ;)

I'd like to report on a test that I had run while Manager of Advanced Audio at Ford Motor.

The test involved the repeated judgments of our "expert/golden ears" listening panel. It was a sort of "gauge capability study", which any quality control engineer will realize is the first requirement for good quality, you must have capable gauges or you don't know what you have.

In this study the evaluators were asked to rate (blind) many binaural recorded systems of various cars over several listening sessions done using our in-house Head Acoustics system and played back in a special sound room with an augmented LF capability (since LF tactile response not available through electrostatic headphones is very important.)

In this test of ten participants, all of whom considered themselves to be expert listeners, only two were found to be stable, i.e. only two could be relied upon to have valid and consistent evaluations - gauge capable. Again, they ALL claimed to be experts.

I knew the two capable evaluators very well (I did not participate in this study) and one thing that has always stuck with me is that they both found the tasks very difficult and never "jumped" to a conclusion about their ratings. In other words only a conscious, deliberate and sustained evaluation on each test piece could ensure reliable judgments.

Basically, my "take-away' is this. 80% of the time someone claims a subjective judgment, it is probably wrong and anytime someone jumps to a judgment without a long and careful evaluation, it is also probably wrong.

At the same RMAF that I met Lynn, some guy walked into my room, listened for a few seconds and claimed (loudly) "nothing worthwhile listening to in here!" That was when I decided not to ever do another Hi-Fi show.

As a recording/mixing engineer a long time ago in a studio far far away...

A group of us were sitting around the mixing console, critically listening over a variety of monitor systems, to a final mix as were debating on a subtle eq change before committing the mix to 2 track tape.

On the mixing desk are 24 identical channel strips, with a variety of controls that can manipulate the sound. In this case, I was engaging and disengaging the eq in real time as the mix is playing.

On one of the passes, I was facing away from the console looking at my team of critical listeners and suggesting which one do they like better as I was engaging and disengaging the eq, not saying if the eq was enaged or not. If you have ever looked at a mixing console, there are a lot of switches, knobs, and pushbuttons, so it is not easy for someone to visually see if the eq is engaged or not, unless you are right over the channel strip.

As I was engaging and disengaging the eq, we all agreed that one sounded better than the other. However, when I looked at the console, I was engaging and disengaging the eq on the wrong channel strip - one that did not have the music going through it.

I swear I heard the sound change when I was engaging/disengaging the eq, as did my team of critical listeners. But that simply was not real.

:)

Having sat next to you at RMAF demos, I trust your hearing. :) I know only 3 or 4 other people with hearing skills as fine as yours. One would suppose the skills are learned for the most part, however most of us have not learned them.

I don't trust anybody's hearing or delusions over my own! Why would anybody? I know the magazines brainwashed "high end" audiophiles well .. I know I used to read that stuff and it really made me stupid and unaware of what I felt was "right" about sound reproduction. To me it's about building for me.. selfish? So what. :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's the wonderful thing about stories, they are like speakers - everyone has a least two. :)

I have anecdotes that are just the opposite, not self proclaimed experts, didn't know they were being tested, made the judgements quickly and surprisingly accurately. What you gonna do? We all want to believe in our own personal experiences.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
When you present the documentation of your controlled test, I'll present you with my "story".

Because, as we know, no one processes any abilities or skills beyond average. I believe it's a scientific fact. Supported, of course, by some of your reading material. ;)