Beyond the Ariel

Is there a "perfect speaker" in the sense of "preference"? Certainly not. But in the sense of accurately delivering a signal to a sound field, we are perhaps very close to "the best that we can do". Is this ever going to satisfy everyone? No, certainly not. Even a perfect speaker will never give the illusion that a small listening room is a large auditorium. That is simply impossible, so if that's ones goal then I am afraid that one will die unfulfilled.

I see two camps in these discussions: one wants to achieve a "you are there" reproduction of a concert hall venue; and the other wants to achieve an accurate reproduction of what is on the source. The later can be achieved, but not the former. Hence, in the former there is always going to be a compromise about which is "closer" to that event that can never be obtained precisely.

The concert hall crowd is very interested in "spaciousness" and very wide directivity speakers can add to this effect yielding a "preference" for this kind of directivity. This wide directivity is said to "enhance" or "widen" the sound stage and indeed it does. But this exact same effect is seriously degrading to "image" as perceived by people like me who prefer recording studio work that has no "reference venue" or "auditorium acoustic" basis.

Clearly there is a tradeoff here between imaging and spaciousness. A wide directivity can achieve spaciousness and enhance the "auditorium" effect, but only at the loss of imaging, and it can never really get to its goal since the real playback room acoustics will always come through. But, with a narrow directivity that suppresses the very early reflections one can achieve superb, precise imaging that is present on many, if not most, studio based recordings. In a small room you cannot have both, you pretty much have to pick one.

Gary Dahl and Lynne clearly interested in the concert hall. I listen almost exclusively to studio work. Our goals and preference are going to be different. I can live without a simulated spacious sound if that means the imaging is enhanced. I don't think that they would take that tradeoff.

And no, a speaker cannot be wide and narrow at the same time. However, a narrow speaker in a reverberant room can get spaciousness from the room and imaging from the source, but a wide speaker can only have spaciousness.

Last edited:
Eldam,
Yes you have to get many things correct. That includes as you say an amplifier or set of amplifiers that have the slew rate and very low harmonic production products to do that. If you can't even get the music out of the electronics without changing the dynamic range or smearing the transient information what chance does the speaker have of reproducing the music correctly. Transient response and phase coherency in a speaker is so important also. There are many details to get right. In Lynn;s favor he is working on a coherent system with very specific requirements to meet his needs. As he says just a change in tube type will destroy his goals, this is what system design is all about, the total system and not the individual components in isolation.

Given that, most SE amplifiers I would consider as tone generators, they are not very accurate in passing a signal. Just because many like the sound of extra second harmonic distortion does not make that accurate. I am not including Lynn's design in this description, just the vast majority of commercial tube amplifiers sold as SE amps.

Defintly more far more complex than my poor understanding. For me it was as simple as the lower frequencies needed just the right amount of watts (like the 50 W involved for the hugest bass multiple peaks) without the supply collapse... and the drivers/loads were able to follow with the flatest impedance line possible and the less amount of distorsions on the audible range to avoid they hide the harmonics of Fundamentals !

without saying that those old french papers favor strong passive supplies with enormous caps ( 50 000 uF to the limit of imagination of the designer). At least there is always a trade offs about parts and hifi when it beginns to talk about high voltages involved in tubes. And also the limitations of the output traffos...

What are the most powerfull SET involved in this thread !

E.G. the ones here : The Amity, Raven, and Aurora ?

DOn't answer, I will find by going back in this thread... reading you guys with more and more pleasure. Sorry for my too simple assertions !

@musical Noise, would you have please a reference for a book with not too much math (first ingeneer level curse max) to understand the physical of sound reproduction in a closed space : as you described just above ?

Last edited:
Earl, will your waveguide speakers work well in an anechoic chamber? (Are any non-experimental recordings recorded and mixed in one?)

No different than any other speaker, but I may be missing your point.

The room is critical to perception, in many ways dominate. The speaker must work with the room to be optimal, but the room should also not be taken as a given. Good room design matters. That is precisely what I set out to do.

To be clear, my room designs are exceedingly reverberant for a small room. Hard wood floor, no carpeting, one wall is stone, hardwood ceiling, (although there are diffusers on the ceiling and floor for the early vertical reflections.) Hardwood, hard leather furniture. Virtually no intentional damping at all, except the wall behind the speakers - that wall is extremely damped.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Boldname - I am as familiar, or more, with "horn sound" and for the vast majority of devices, I too dislike it. The benefits of the CD/waveguide device have always been foremost in my mind, which is why I set out to keep the benefits while eliminating the "horn sound". I believe that I have done that, but very very few have actually heard this in reality. I find that a properly done waveguide makes a compression driver sound as if it were a very high performance direct radiator with no perceivable "horn sound". I believe that all of your issues stem from experience with what I will call inferior designs of the waveguide and that leads you to conclude that it is the fault of the compression driver.

Many years ago I was hired by B&C to study compression drivers with the intent to improve their audibility. This took several years and resulted in a couple of papers (which were never accepted well because of what they found.) In the end my conclusion was that the CDs themselves were darn near perfect and that not much could be done to improve them - which remains my position, and leads to my conclusion that CDs are basically a commodity.

Further study on my part has been conclusive, IMO, in that it is the waveguide that dominates the situation and nothing else. That few have heard a really good waveguide design is indeed disappointing because so many continue to discount CDs because of previously bad implementations of the horn.

Thanks for your interesting experience. I remember years ago some JMM LeCleac'h presenting some color maps at a European audio seminar which showed HOMS generation in colour graduated sound pressure gradient.

for Hypex, Tractrix, LeCleac'h, OS, Kugelweller LeCleac'h using a range of CDs jncluding TAD1401 driver, but the Kugelweller and the JMMLC had the least HOMS. From more time than I can remember I have always favoured the OS or the LeCleac'h but only in a round profile. I am not saying the others all sound horny, but these two may sound the least horn like, if used carefully with proper matching to the CD. I take your point about commodities , but would the dome material and magnet put them in a class of their own with Be and Alnico.

Also what do you personally attribute to cause the 'horn sound' which I think we all perceive as the same recognised honky sound?

We all appreaciate the work you have done on HOMS reduction, and one wonders whether there wil be even another renaissance for horns fairly soon. You are set up to be part of that, and so is Lynn and Gary alongside with the Ariel replacement. And Pierre of course.

Earl,
If your design is as I understand it if you put me blindfolded in a room and I walked across the sound field and could here a sharp cutoff from your very controlled directivity horns I would know instantly that I was listening to a horn loaded design. I am not in any way saying that sitting in a centered position with your design that I wouldn't like it and find it very good, I'm just saying I would know I was listening to a horn loaded system. The sound field is generally distinctive. I don't think I would think it was all direct radiator devices. Perhaps that is not true, but that is what I expect. Perhaps in a very well treated room I would have a hard time identifying this, but that is so unusual as to be the outlier and not the general rule.

And I am not discounting your approach, I actually agree with it. What I am saying is there are still some things we have not been able to test for, something everyone is missing, we don't have a complete set of tools to predict everything, and don't ask me what that is, if I knew the answer I would put it out there. Nobody has been able to identify the tests that consolidate all the information to predict precisely the final results. It is more than all the distortion testing we now have in the test protocols, something is still missing to pull this all together so we can make a perfect reproduction chain, we can not reproduce a live sounding event, that is the bottom line.

The problem is that there are still many factors to be discovered.
So it is difficult to isolate them.

Virtually no intentional damping at all, except the wall behind the speakers - that wall is extremely damped.

Your latest posts are very interesting and useful. This extremely damped wall reminds me of my own "trick". I believe that many of us have had retired bed mattresses. I'm using old/used king size foam [non spring] bed mattress on the wall behind the speaker :D

No different than any other speaker, but I may be missing your point.

The room is critical to perception, in many ways dominate. The speaker must work with the room to be optimal, but the room should also not be taken as a given. Good room design matters. That is precisely what I set out to do.

To be clear, my room designs are exceedingly reverberant for a small room. Hard wood floor, no carpeting, one wall is stone, hardwood ceiling, (although there are diffusers on the ceiling and floor for the early vertical reflections.) Hardwood, hard leather furniture. Virtually no intentional damping at all, except the wall behind the speakers - that wall is extremely damped.

Could your speakers have an increased matching with rooms below the involved FR of your patended Horn (700 hz again for the Xo and around that for your horn itself?) with DSP for frequencies like reverb with delay in time domain ?

Is it possible to a DSP to work on time delay on a restricted band frequencies ? I mean it's hard to forgive we have all a room ! A wood wall can become a huge driver itself like the thiner ready made plaster walls we can have in the modern flat/house which vib and radiate as a huge bass driver as well ?

Can we do the economy of room measurement with fixs in the low frequencies (in relation to each of our particular listening rooms - at least knowing already the average room size the main designers have in this thread)
or do the trade offs made in a sota developement in this thread just around the combo amp/speaker can give an average good enough result for most of us in the size room designers have given ?

Look up Wikipaedia - Compression Driver

You will see the pulsing sound in the phase plug and throat from the CD animation. It shows the diaphragm moving in and out. So with the complex musical signal it will be following that within the air within the small phase plug holes or slots, moving in and out to the diaphragm oscillations. This represents a turbulent flow of air to be repeatedly forced back and forth.

This does not happen with domes which can fairly linearly project straight out to our ears. So there must be prorate less losses. Jay and I as well as the fraternity have heard this perhaps for 40 years or more.

It does incur its own noise due to the motion back and forth with the diaphragm. With a 3" (75m) diaphragm with say 1mm stroke is 4.4mls i.e 4.4 cubic centimetres of air being thrust back and forth in the phase plug.

On high frequencies this will be naturally very fast incurring more frictional loss and sufferering higher degradation in the process. That also gets magnified by the efficiency of a CD. It is the main problem for CD operated at high levels. No free lunch

Ask Earl to explain it to you, and how CD's work. Take the phase plug out and it is a direct driver, and at least this phase plug issue vanish. How much does it matter. It matters to those of us that can hear it.

I hope this helps.

One over looked point.
The diaphram is only moving about .03mm under normal conditions.
It will only move 1mm under extreme conditions.
And so, you will not hear the compression distortions except under extreme conditions which should not occur under normal listening conditions. You are in danger of damaging the diaphram

I disagree with just about everything said here, though the arguments for and against these positions have already been covered (..and likely in this thread no less).

Is there a "perfect speaker" in the sense of "preference"? Certainly not. But in the sense of accurately delivering a signal to a sound field, we are perhaps very close to "the best that we can do". Is this ever going to satisfy everyone? No, certainly not. Even a perfect speaker will never give the illusion that a small listening room is a large auditorium. That is simply impossible, so if that's ones goal then I am afraid that one will die unfulfilled.

I see two camps in these discussions: one wants to achieve a "you are there" reproduction of a concert hall venue; and the other wants to achieve an accurate reproduction of what is on the source. The later can be achieved, but not the former. Hence, in the former there is always going to be a compromise about which is "closer" to that event that can never be obtained precisely.

The concert hall crowd is very interested in "spaciousness" and very wide directivity speakers can add to this effect yielding a "preference" for this kind of directivity. This wide directivity is said to "enhance" or "widen" the sound stage and indeed it does. But this exact same effect is seriously degrading to "image" as perceived by people like me who prefer recording studio work that has no "reference venue" or "auditorium acoustic" basis.

Clearly there is a tradeoff here between imaging and spaciousness. A wide directivity can achieve spaciousness and enhance the "auditorium" effect, but only at the loss of imaging, and it can never really get to its goal since the real playback room acoustics will always come through. But, with a narrow directivity that suppresses the very early reflections one can achieve superb, precise imaging that is present on many, if not most, studio based recordings. In a small room you cannot have both, you pretty much have to pick one.

Gary Dahl and Lynne clearly interested in the concert hall. I listen almost exclusively to studio work. Our goals and preference are going to be different. I can live without a simulated spacious sound if that means the imaging is enhanced. I don't think that they would take that tradeoff.

And no, a speaker cannot be wide and narrow at the same time. However, a narrow speaker in a reverberant room can get spaciousness from the room and imaging from the source, but a wide speaker can only have spaciousness.

Earl, you don't need a "perfect speaker" to have an effect where the small listening room is displaced by the sound of a large auditorium.

If you've not heard this effect before then you need to listen to more systems that are well setup and are using recordings that are particularly well recorded.

Without this perspective you are the voice of "one hand clapping". ;)

Earl, you don't need a "perfect speaker" to have an effect where the small listening room is displaced by the sound of a large auditorium.

OK, lets have a vote - how many here have heard an audio system where if they closed their eyes they could NOT tell that they were listening to a stereo in a small room? No, I have not witnessed that (except for binaural recordings, but that is not what we are talking about here.)

I remember years ago some JMM LeCleac'h presenting some color maps at a European audio seminar which showed HOMS generation in colour graduated sound pressure gradient.

For the record, I objected at the time that Mr. LeCleac'h was actually measuring HOMs. He was more likely measuring the internal standing waves and not the HOMs. They are different things albeit somewhat hard to differentiate. I don't remember the details at the moment, just that I was not convinced that what he was saying was actually the case.

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'd say a 1,5-2" exit comp driver with fully aluminum construction & phase coherent aluminum phase plug (do not accept plastic radiator, phase plugs or construction) loaded with a 4" beryllium dome, is one of the most uncolored and best sounding mid and tweeter I have listened to. The SQ stays virtually the same no matter how loud you play and clarity with very complex and crowded signals like metal music is quite wonderful.

So which products fulfill this specification of A MID/TR horn?

//

One over looked point.
The diaphram is only moving about .03mm under normal conditions.
It will only move 1mm under extreme conditions.
And so, you will not hear the compression distortions except under extreme conditions which should not occur under normal listening conditions. You are in danger of damaging the diaphram

Yes, of course, I agree. but with very small displacments the stiffness of the diaphragm takes something to get it moving. It is not too much of a problem with the gearing with say a 3" diaphragm into a 1" throat amplifying the sound with further gain from the horn. That would likely more than compensated for the losses, and the effect of the losses be inaudible.

The horn CD combination I would expect to work best at the displacement you suggested, where the diaphragm suspension losses are negligible, and as Earl says the air frictional losses are minimal.

My opinion of having the effect of a large hall sound in a small room is only in an extremely damped studio environment could you really make it appear to sound like a larger venue. Yes in a normal room you can pick up on clues that it was recorded in a large room but without the proper room treatment and much dsp manipulation I don't think that is a common occurrence. It really comes down to that head in a vice kind of thing, where even with room treatment it will only work generally in a very small area if at all. And of course without the best recordings it isn't going to happen anyway. I don't think having the audible clues that a recording was done in a large space is the same as reproducing that large space sound.

Last edited: