Beyond the Ariel

While of course I agree with the rest of your post, as it is absolutely and objectively correct, there is in fact one alternative solution, if you are willing to put up with a very large infinite-baffle enclosure: a very large Sd.
www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/.../fw800hs.pdf
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-31-woofers/fostex-fw800hs-31.5-super-woofer/

While the maximum SPL obtainable may in fact fail to match that of a modern high-excursion 15" sub, the advantage is subtle but real: vanishingly low excursion, even in that first octave, which results in lower IMD and better transient response than any of the comparatively puny "low-efficiency, heavy-cone subwoofers" out there.

Cheers,
Marco

For the price of one of those Fostex, you can get two of the Stereo Integrity HS24 24″ monster subwoofers:

Stereo Integrity HS24 24″ Subwoofer

• 24” subwoofer
  • 36mm Xmax (one-way linear)
  • 65mm Xmech (one-way)
  • 3″ diameter voice coil
  • 1500 watts RMS power handling
  • 10″ diameter Nomex spider
  • Double sewn on leads
  • Large speaker terminals
  • Cast basket
  • High roll surround
  • Inner magnet diameter shorting ring
  • Blank dust cap
  • Available in Dual 1 Ohm or Dual 2 Ohm

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Lynn,

I agree with you wholeheartedly on letting modern solutions tackle the low frequencies and let your tube amps only battle with the rest. However, I am not sure I would restrict this to only below the first room mode. The midbass, between the first room mode and the Schroeder frequency seems to be the most problematic region in any small room. For localization reasons, I get limiting the multi-subs to <80hz, but it would seem to me that allowing them to go up to this limit should help with the first mode (~50-60hz).

The appeal of midbass horns, in my mind, is lessening some of the issues above 80hz and below the Schroeder freq, but I am not sure how much it works in practice.

OT: Lynn, do you have any more music suggestions? After reading the show report, I decided to listen to that Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack. All I can say is: I LIKE! Any more suggestions for good music? I am always on the lookout for new and interesting musical experiences, and this was definitely one. Thanks for that. :)

IIRC, that was one of Dan Wiggin's favorites as well. He certainly liked to play it,

Best Regards,
TerryO

Koyaanisqatsi

IIRC, that was one of Dan Wiggin's favorites as well. He certainly liked to play it,

Best Regards,
TerryO

I'd forgotten about that piece... always reminded me of the etudes and scales practicing reed instruments for hours on end... UP^ DOWNv UP^ DOWNv UP^ DOWNv ... with multi variations, etc. Had to turn the fan on the amp, tho...

Thnx for the memories

John L.

Last edited:
For the price of one of those Fostex, you can get two of the Stereo Integrity HS24 24″ monster subwoofers:

Or just go with "normal" 18"s. The dramatic increases of cone and suspension requirements with increasing driver size make 18" the maximum reasonable transducer size, to my mind. Just use more of 'em if needed. The practicality of moving enclosures around also makes stacked multiples of more reasonable driver sizes the better solution as well IMO.

Or just go with "normal" 18"s. The dramatic increases of cone and suspension requirements with increasing driver size make 18" the maximum reasonable transducer size, to my mind. Just use more of 'em if needed. The practicality of moving enclosures around also makes stacked multiples of more reasonable driver sizes the better solution as well IMO.

I believe that multiple 12 or 15 inch drivers would be the way to go. I might add that they are so common and inexpensive that it's more of a status thing than any actual benefit realized by use of any larger size.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Music to get Thrown Out By

Some of these titles will get you thrown out of rooms at hifi shows.

Seattle Symphony plays Saint-Saens and Ravel. The best-recorded CD I am aware of, and a stunning live performance in Benaroya Hall, which has superb acoustics. If you like classical music at all, just get the entire set. That's what I'm doing.

Berlin Philharmonic, Digital Concert Hall. I'll probably subscribe to this, since I have an Amazon Fire TV streaming device, which has the app. Lots of great movies as well as concerts transmitted in HD and surround sound. The best Internet compression algorithms I've seen to date. Don't know how they do it.

Koyaanisqatsi on DVD-Audio. Yes. Maybe available on high-res download. Put that computer to work! This is the selection I chose in Duke LeJune's Audio Kinesis room, which got a rise out of the other folks there.

Ulrich Schnauss, Far Away Trains Passing By. Guess I have good taste. This two-CD set has become rather valuable after it's gone out of print. I bought it a few years ago and listen to it all the time.

Ulrich Schnauss, A Strangely Isolated Place. Another out-of-print album. I don't think this is the kind of music that Gary likes ... but I do.

Jonas Munk, Pan. Good luck tracking this one down; I could only get it on MP3 download, hardly the format of choice.

Music from the 2012 London Olympics. Skip the first track on the first disc, but the rest are good, particularly the last track, which is worth the price of the two-CD set.

London Grammar, UK Edition. Get the UK two-CD set, which has a lot of great tunes on the "extra" CD.

Eric Whitacre, Light and Gold. The fellow that did the famous Virtual Choir.

Capital Children's Choir. The British have the world's finest choirs. The children of London will blow you away.

More from Capital Children's Choir. I went to a British school in Hong Kong, King George the Fifth, and that probably influenced my musical tastes.

If you're curious what my system is voiced on, here it is. Vocals come first, followed by my favorite types of emotionally intense and engaging music (for me and Karna). If a system can't do choirs, solo voice, and symphonic, it's not for me. No heavy metal, no jazz, no punk, no rap, no country, and no audiophile favorites. Sorry.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty cool that Jonas Munk has a Master's degree in Philosophy with a thesis on Music and Consciousness.

My own interest in music is the effect it has on consciousness, the way it can take the listener into altered states quickly and with great pleasure. I see high-end audio as a means to this end, an electromechanical tool to alter consciousness. As such, "accuracy" in the usual audiophile sense isn't meaningful, since we're talking about effectiveness of trance induction. I have a little essay that develops this theme in more detail.

Earlier this year read a report on the emotional connection to music. Something like 30% showed no emotional connection to music when viewed from an MRI. The same response was noted in the prexam questionaire. These disconnected types see music more as noise and generally disruptive as volume increases.

I tend to think that those whom feel the music most pursue excellence in reproduction. Those that are generally ok with music are fine with just ok reproduction. The others simply could careless, dispite that $100k system that is only turned on when company is over or the house is empty and the maid is rockn it out ;)

A long term report on the Tannoy Westminster Royals, tannoy, very nicely conveys what it's all about - for me, at least ...

Perhaps the Westminster Royal SE's most notable attribute is how visceral the musical experience is through them. You can literally feel the sound waves of the music flow over and interact with your body in a way that is uniquely tangible compared to any loudspeaker in my experience. The most vivid example of this is the bass response, which can quite literally rattle your ribs in your chest. But the effect is not limited to bass, it's pretty much that way across the frequency range, where I can feel it energizing my body much in the same way live instruments do, and more than one visitor to my listening room has commented on how involving this phenomena is.

Another aspect of the Westminster's overall presentation, at least when setup like I've described above, is that they can play at very loud levels without my ears shutting down. I'm not sure if it is their very low distortion, the point-source-like delivery of the Dual Concentric™ drivers, or the enormous wave front that washes over you during listening, but I've found that they defeat that 'strained' feeling I normally get as volumes increase, which allows for listening at higher levels than I am used to with other loudspeakers. A caveat is in order: because of this sense of ease at loud volumes, you have to be a little bit thoughtful about listening at loud levels for long periods, as you will surely be tempted to do so with the Westminsters, and that could damage your hearing over time. So I'm just saying, be a little careful not to overdo it to your own detriment.

30% no connection shown through MRI? I can believe that and I can believe that probably an accurate number even with audiophiles. More often than not when i go listen to multi-thousand dollar audiophile systems I don't "get" what they are doing (because they really don't) and when I ask about it it normally becomes a talk about the wires, break in , what to upgrade or lunar cycle LOL - I wonder what the effect of alcohol, marijuana and other additives would have on that number? :rolleyes:

"Trance induction" I like that but I like to build a system that can alter the subconscious too :) An envelope of emotions and feeling that can summoned at once.

Why audio "illusion engines" normally fail in their intended purpose is that they are not capable, not precise enough, too rough at the edges - when asked to deliver realistic sound levels the audible flaws are too obvious, and immediately null the possibility of the illusion being sustained; the mirage collapses, or never forms in the first place.

An actual experience for me demonstrated this perfectly: a brand new IMax theatre was built up the road, I went to see very soon after first opening. Well, it was breathtaking - superb sound and picture quality, it did take me to another place. Then, went again quite some time later - and it bombed, I felt quite irritable during the show, I was constantly distracted from what was on the screen ...

Why, what had happened?? Well, all the precise alignment, and pristine "correctness" of the gear from the installment had been allowed to somewhat deteriorate. Not much, but enough to make all the difference: there was an edginess, a grubbiness to the sound - and the image on the screen wasn't pinpoint sharp, you could always see blurred bits ... and so, what was happening was that the illusion was failing, and failing badly - and hence was quite disturbing because you were aware of it failing, keenly so ...

IOW, the presentation has to be always to a minimum standard, and if it falls below that - well, you all might as well go home; it, the illusion, is not going to happen. Quality is key - get that wrong, and all the rest of the effort is completely wasted ... if, an illusion is what you're after ...

I think this thread is seriously interesting, and I've followed it from its beginning, but I'd really like to see some form of this thread revolve around the actual speaker project. Maybe an edit of the first post to the directive of where in this thread the goods are. Like in other forums.

I'd very much like to compare notes. I have very much similar speaker goals and lots of hardware to do it with, not too dissimilar to this thread. Josh

Radian do coaxials with what appear to be the same neo/be compression drivers that Gary likes on the back.
No idea what the woofer portion and integration between them etc might be like.

I took a close look at these units (on paper) last spring when considering a hi-eff center channel. The T-S parameters of the woofer sections wasn't what I was looking for, so I didn't consider them further.

I did get pretty close to pulling the trigger on a single Tannoy dual-concentric, but decided to keep my focus on the main speakers, which still needed work.

Gary Dahl

Go back a few pages and read about Gary Dahl's project. My version is still in development, but will be a derivative of what Gary already has up and running. Gary stayed at my place during the RMAF show, and we listened to my system after each day at the show, so it was a useful sound-check for him when he returned back home.

I thought Gary's system sounded pretty nice the first time I heard it, so you can imagine how very surprised I was that it sounded so much better last Saturday.

All in all, it is a "very nice" system that Gary has put together (with lots of Custom DIY Gear!).
:up: :D

Best Regards,
TerryO