Beyond the Ariel

You take things the wrong way Lynn. Their is some substance to what we said and it was really not a stab at you but the whole 7 year process and the evasion of help due to knowing so much more then people have been through this many times. I remember when you used to post really derogitory things about "horns" and "horn people" - some things never change

Lynn,
I am not saying that your speaker will not and does not sound great. Just that to take 7 years to get to this point I don't see. I understand your thinking on sound, it is something that many of us who have worked in pro-audio have done in similar fashion before. It is an evolution of many horn loaded systems from my past.

Pro audio is very different from sitting in a room alone or with friends listening for new details in records that you never heard because you made a new tweak to your system. Where is this pro audio gear that I can purchase if this is already invented and tweaked to perfection just the way I want it?

Reality check ...

As audiophiles what we hear and how we choose to interpret it as good, bad or mediocre is largely subjective. As result many of us 'hear best with our eyes and wallet' and often use that influence to deem what is worthy of our blessing. It's revealing as to our personal arrogance whether or not we choose to admit this fact to others.

Just my 2 cents as a crusty old audiophool. Discount at will.

having read this thread from the beginning... more or less... and now fighting cancer, I can say that my perspective has changed as to what's important in life. I used to think having high specs and impressive sound on "reference" recordings was the be all/ end all. Both before my dx and currently, I realize, across a vast cross section of classical, jazz, rock, country, you name it... there are so many uncontrolled variables in the reproduction chain prior to my pretty high end equipment chain... these swamp out all the bluster about op amp distortion, compression horn HOM's, sizzle in planar/esl, etc.

I'm off to a live jazz venue tonite .... my system, with the right source, produces and has for over a decade wide and accurate sound stage, depth, and a believable "you are there" experience; maybe not the perfect reproduction of the original, but external factors seem much more important than fussing over horn geometry, SET's, tubes vs. sand amps... all the stuff claimed to be important in the enjoyment of the sound of the listening experience.

It's mostly nonsense... the honest response should be "we just like putsing around with electronic stuff, and think the "new" sound is interesting each time we make a change...

With my projected shortened lifespan, I now find I just like to listen and enjoy what I can find that meets my level of expectation... tubes vs. ss vs. esl vs. horns, etc. seem to mean so much less now

John L.

LM4562NA - LM4562 High Fidelity Audio Op-Amp

if you listen to CD or SACD chances are you listen to opamps :)

What about listening to jazz or classical vinyl recorded between 1950-1965. There is a reason something this or this sounds better than 99% of recorded music. Not saying it's opamps, but the care that went into recordings in that time period (this includes the vacuum tube equipment used in that era) shows through.

having read this thread from the beginning... more or less... and now fighting cancer, I can say that my perspective has changed as to what's important in life. I used to think having high specs and impressive sound on "reference" recordings was the be all/ end all. Both before my dx and currently, I realize, across a vast cross section of classical, jazz, rock, country, you name it... there are so many uncontrolled variables in the reproduction chain prior to my pretty high end equipment chain... these swamp out all the bluster about op amp distortion, compression horn HOM's, sizzle in planar/esl, etc.

I'm off to a live jazz venue tonite .... my system, with the right source, produces and has for over a decade wide and accurate sound stage, depth, and a believable "you are there" experience; maybe not the perfect reproduction of the original, but external factors seem much more important than fussing over horn geometry, SET's, tubes vs. sand amps... all the stuff claimed to be important in the enjoyment of the sound of the listening experience.

It's mostly nonsense... the honest response should be "we just like putsing around with electronic stuff, and think the "new" sound is interesting each time we make a change...

With my projected shortened lifespan, I now find I just like to listen and enjoy what I can find that meets my level of expectation... tubes vs. ss vs. esl vs. horns, etc. seem to mean so much less now

John L.

Wow, sorry to hear , keep up the fight .........

I have both those albums - Great sound but not always what I want to listen to. About 50 percent of my listening now is streaming from my laptop.. there are over 70 thoasand free music channels out there, so much music so little time

Yeah I agree, if I were to add up my hours listening in what format/method it would be digital, and a large amount of that would be Spotify Premium. You can't beat having access to thousands of albums in highest bitrate MP3 on multiple devices. But when I want to listen "in the zone" on the home stereo after a long day of work, an LP of my favorite albums is my preferred choice. All vacuum tube + class A SS transistor power amps.

Unfortunately in the 70's recording engineers discovered compressors and began mixing in smaller and smaller rooms on smaller and smaller monitors. Their target audience at the time was listening to broadcast radio. Today few people go to concerts to hear live music and when they do it's often being compressed and changed in the mixing console to sound like what is heard in dance clubs and from their favorite pair of 'diamond decorated' earbuds from Dr Dre.

But there are some nuggets out there. I recently discovered Tom Petty's MOJO recording. That recording is a throw back to the dynamic days of analog recording, which is interesting because reportedly it was all done digital using ProTools.

Last edited:
having read this thread from the beginning... more or less...
and now fighting cancer, I can say that my perspective has
changed as to what's important in life.

John L.

I know a person who once got really sick and the doctors gave him
only a couple of months more to live. He was a young priest
who just could not accept that at the very beginning of his priesthood
he was faced with the fact that his life will soon be over. He started
praying for his health to God, Holy Virgin and all the Saints and it was
all in vain.

His medical condition just got worse and worse. Once, reading Bible,
he stopped at " For whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever
loses his life for my sake will find it." It made him think and then he
decided not to fight for his life in the way he did, instead said to his God:
"Thy Will be done" and because he only had just a little more to live,
he thought it would be great to go to Rome for sightseeing.

The time was passing by and he started gaining on weight. Curious though,
because by doctors calculations he should have already passed away
by then. Went to doctors again, did all the tests again. Findings were he was
not sick anymore, completely cured.

Some years later he started working on developing a way to help people gain
spiritual health and called it Hagiotherapy. His name is Tomislav Ivancic,
doctor of theology and at the age of 76 still very active in doing what he
does best.

This is a way of me saying, hang on, it ain't over yet. :)

myhrrhleine.
Thank you for that reply. I think that is a constant problem in some of these conversations, the absolutes that are given even though they are not always true. I am glad at least that Lynn is not advocating for SE tube amps, I understand his desire to use vacuum tubes however. I am not going back to that approach, I have been there and done that and have moved on. We can agree on enough other material and learn from each other so I continue to read this thread. I however would not build this latest speaker, I do not see any reason that this has taken 7 years from what I am hearing. A competent speaker designer could have done this basic design in short time. This is nothing that has not been done many times before by many others. Only the devices have changed over time, that is all I see in the basic speaker design, nothing revolutionary or particularly innovative from my perspective.

Hello Kindhornman,

I think the speaker's been finalized long ago but this forum will not die, and thankfully so. It is arguable that this has been the most successful thread ever in HiFi.
I'm not too fond of my 300B amps but sure love my SET EL34 and PP KT88 amp. If there's something better out the please tell me what your running.
I also went through gear like a kid with too much money but landed on the tube side of tife. Are you running a class A SS design? Please share, I'm looking for a good class A SS mono-block design.
I'm now in the process of building supper linear SET 6c33c mono-blocks using huge gap-less ultra permeable Transformers.

Thanks,
Ron