Beyond the Ariel

Soongsc,
Having only the picture you just posted to look at it appears that the upper and the lower enclosure have two separate vents or outputs from the spirals? If so it would appear that the lower section would have very different loading than the upper section that would not have the floor loading of the lower section. This would in fact not be two speakers in a common enclosure or even two balanced sections. This is of course all conjecture based on this one picture. If that is the case I would never expect the upper and lower speaker to operate the same, they are not the same even if the enclosed space is identical, the floor loading would be different and I don't see any way that you could make them match.

So even on a stand with identical shapes and identical porting the lower enclosure would see a different loading than the upper enclosure and therefor the two sections do not see identical air loading and I would not expect them to function identically.

I think this would be one of the answers to the problem, you can not consider the two sections as working in identical ways.

So that's it?? Make an observation, don't investigate, and pick some reason or other? Get real!

So I guess we're to suppose all things anybody comes up with are true until proven otherwise. Extra-ordinary claims require verification doesn't hold true??? In another thread, all sorts of nano-scale events are attributed to exotic made up causes, rather than actually investigate and/or accept rational known causation. Makes a complete mockery of the real world.

So much for the scientific method and engineering, at least for many on DIYAUDIO. We're not in Kansas anymore, I guess.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Kansas or not - can you replicate the effect? That's the best next step. If the effect can be replicated then it's worth looking at. If not, no need. That's part of the scientific method. (and may be more valuable than idle speculations and off the cuff criticisms)

Well, this what happened. Since it is a mystery solved for me. I just share this experience for people to consider if they wish. The choice is yours.
The supper tweeter comes in at some 10KJz, if there were connection problems, it would be too obvious in measurements and listening, not just occurring when you have lots of bass in the music.

auplater,
I was just trying to come up with something even remotely plausible. What soongsc came up with as a reason to see what he claimed made no practical sense. I am not about to build a set of speakers like he did to make measurements. Something just did not make sense with his explanation, no way can changing the wire length even 10 feet account for what he says he was seeing.

Kansas or not - can you replicate the effect? That's the best next step. If the effect can be replicated then it's worth looking at. If not, no need. That's part of the scientific method. (and may be more valuable than idle speculations and off the cuff criticisms)
These were a few years ago. Basically, the process was change one and see what happens, then change the other. Since it was known at the time what music could make the problem visible, it was easy to see if it worked or not. I am not trying to win a Nobel prize, finding out what works and generating reasonable design criteria is the objective.

It is not uncommon that other people have different experiences, and I accept that. If I am interested in certain claims that commercial make, I do the work to find out under what conditions it will work and when they won't. I expect the same of anyone serious about audio.

Now, even if that was just a very unique situation, using equal cable lengths is not a difficult criteria to be followed, costs nearly nothing unless we are talking iPhone quantities, and just takes one variable out of all future work. It really makes no sense to spend the time and effort to go back. Generating design criteria for future work is much more important to me than working for free just to satisfy some else's criticisms.

It could be. When at different lengths, they ran about 30cm together before splitting off. With equal lengths they ran about 50cm together before splitting off. Hmm, running them back creates and additional 10 cm overlap in the revers direction. Something to think about some more. By instinct, one would think this would make more difference between the two drivers.
All the internal cable runs in that slim long section before entering the two driver enclosures from the sides opposite to the port.

Last edited:
Is it necessary to get into the who is right or wrong thing? When somebody shares an experience or have an idea, it is fine to have a totally different experience.

I could not understand why, so like an audiophile, ?......So I rewired the shorter pair to have the same length as the longer ones, and routed them together to split from where the tweeter is. That corrected the problem. it.

This is pure subjective B.S. and certainly doesn't belong in a DIY forum. Audiophilia is damaging to the hobby.

In the normal sense routing of the cables shouldn't be that significant ... but there may be some subtle interaction, interference effect taking place. The thing is to try radically different ways of organising how the cables run from the crossovers to the drivers, without changing the wire itself in any way - and see if that makes for audible differences ...