Beyond the Ariel

My statement relates to the present state of affairs, not to a hypothetical future one.

my statement relates to present and past. your statement is simply a statement that will be true most of the time. big deal.

however, it has no importance or relevance to life, living, and the enjoyment of both.

if you record a live concert in a venue with poor acoustics, it is likely the poor acoustics will be conveyed in the recording. whether this is discernible by 'critical' ears or not is of NO importance. the acoustics still SUCK.

this is why artists were brought into a studio - to make the sound er, better.

your statement is unimportant.

One material I would use if I wanted to keep box panel vibration to minimum would be mixture of stone power into epoxy. The Romance series done in collaboration with a local artist provided the cleanest sound of all the other enclosure material used with the same driver.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
One material I would use if I wanted to keep box panel vibration to minimum would be mixture of stone power into epoxy. The Romance series done in collaboration with a local artist provided the cleanest sound of all the other enclosure material used with the same driver.

They make countertops out of that here IIRC 95% stone powder to 5% epoxy, it still seems quite resonant.

30 or so years ago someone in the lab decided that the perfect base for a high magnification microscope would be a 4" thick slab of granite on air bearings. It rang like a bell and ended up useless.

They make countertops out of that here IIRC 95% stone powder to 5% epoxy, it still seems quite resonant.

30 or so years ago someone in the lab decided that the perfect base for a high magnification microscope would be a 4" thick slab of granite on air bearings. It rang like a bell and ended up useless.

But wouldn't it ring at high frequencies and be easier to damp; especially with regard to its stiffness as skins in a CLD arrangement?

Hello Rewind

You obviously have no first hand experience with the Be foils used to make the diaphrams. They are very robust and cannot be easilly damaged by any normal handling, such as changing a diaphram. They will not shatter like the original Tad diaphrams.

I am not trying to down play Be toxicity just that if you use common sense and do not try to grind them or put your bare fingers on the Be the risk of exposure is low. With any luck you never even have to even open up a driver.

Be more worried about second hand smoke.

Rob:)

This reminds me of another thread in the toob section where a guy wanted to get rid of some of his VR regulator tubes because they contained radioactive material, and he was worried about radiation exposure. I told him to send 'em to me and I would take care of 'em. Well, I will make the same offer in this thread for any Be tweeters that anyone might want to get rid of due to health concerns :D

Hello Rewind

You obviously have no first hand experience with the Be foils used to make the diaphrams. They are very robust and cannot be easilly damaged by any normal handling, such as changing a diaphram. They will not shatter like the original Tad diaphrams.

I am not trying to down play Be toxicity just that if you use common sense and do not try to grind them or put your bare fingers on the Be the risk of exposure is low. With any luck you never even have to even open up a driver.

Be more worried about second hand smoke.

Rob:)

The Materion/Brush Wellman project director made the point at the RMAF by letting us puncture the Be foil with a ballpoint pen. It took a lot of force to burst through, but you can do it if you push hard enough, and then it tears like aluminum foil. No explosion, no dust on the fingers, no brittleness at all. It's very tough and resilient; ideal qualities for a speaker diaphragm.

The tuning forks made out of titanium, aluminum, and beryllium made the additional point about self-damping. Titanium had the longest and most complex decay, aluminum was somewhat better, and beryllium damped to zero in about half to one-third the time of aluminum. Materion's foil is pretty lossy stuff; it may not be as lossy as lead or gold, but it's nothing at all like aluminum or titanium. It's also quite a bit lighter than aluminum; it seems to float out of your hand, it's so light.

It's a very unusual combination of strong, tough, non-resonant, and extremely light. Think super-strong plastic that looks metallic and glossy and you get the concept. If you're more imaginative, think of the shiny, flexible foil collected by the locals in Roswell in 1947. (Hmm ... how long has this foil been in production? Is it one of those super-secret products that have only recently been declassified?)

Materion sells the raw beryllium to the Japanese manufacturers that do the vacuum-deposition process for TAD, and the project manager mentioned that that process results in an uncontrolled crystal structure that is very brittle. There are many ways to fabricate beryllium (and it is notoriously hard to work with), and they see getting the foil costs down to the point where it can compete directly with aluminum and titanium for loudspeaker diaphragms.

Last edited:
Yes, it's mass, plus damping, that does the trick. If you can't make any surface 'ring like a bell', from a gentle tap of a small hammer, then you're in pretty good shape ...

Mass lowers the resonant frequency. It may take more energy input into a high mass material vs. a low mass material to get it moving; but once moving, it is also harder to stop or damp. There is more kinetic energy to dissipate out of the higher mass vs. the lower mass.

An ideal material would be something that combined the infinitely stiff with the infinately light mass.

That being said, in practice, to make a given panel stiffer, you have to make it thicker, which means more massive. Always the balancing act!

Last edited:
Luky you are, they have these unique little fluo green at night.

I ask before to my wife but take the Package, Be, Iridium tube and neighbors...

After extensive (lifetime) research, I didn’t find any major differences between neither men from various origin nor women of various origin. The differences between individuals of the same origin are greater.