Beyond the Ariel - Page 455 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2008, 07:48 AM   #4541
diyAudio Member

These things aren't easy to photograph thanks to complex internal contours and the silky-smooth internal finish. It's not glossy, but more of a satin finish, with a silky texture that is hard to describe. The junction to the compression driver looks perfect as far as I can tell, no burrs or flaws anywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ah425-2.jpg (54.6 KB, 734 views)
Old 18th October 2008, 07:51 AM   #4542
diyAudio Member

The satin finish looks flat, but isn't - there's a subtle texture there, which can be seen as well as felt. The closest description is "alabaster white".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ah425-3.jpg (50.9 KB, 1151 views)
Old 18th October 2008, 07:52 AM   #4543
diyAudio Member

They're not as big as they look - they're actually kind of petite. Karna approves the looks, and so do I. Very elegant and classy looking, and also surprisingly rigid and solid. Much better made than the commercial horns I've seen, no burrs or flashing, and the rigidity is better too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ah425-4.jpg (52.8 KB, 1133 views)
Old 18th October 2008, 10:22 AM   #4544
mige0 is offline mige0  Austria
diyAudio Member

Location: Austria, at a beautiful place right in the heart of the Alps.
Lynn - you will have to do *all* audition with your eyes closed - anything else wouldn't be fair !!!

Stunning look - all the best with these...

Michael
Old 18th October 2008, 10:34 AM   #4545
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Lynn,
I was hoping to meet you at Rocky Mountain

About what is the diameter of the wide end?
Old 18th October 2008, 10:49 AM   #4546
mige0 is offline mige0  Austria
diyAudio Member

Location: Austria, at a beautiful place right in the heart of the Alps.
Again thanks Bjørn - for making available the results of your excellent simus.

Michael
Old 18th October 2008, 02:50 PM   #4547
diyAudio Member

Default drivers for ariel5s

hi lynn,
Thanks once again for your suggestions, i am actually dumping those drivers.... the other available 5.5 inch vifa driver is TC14WG49-08 ,

t/S parameters TC14WG49-08 are

nominal impedance-8 ohms
voice coil resistance- 5.55
nominal power(W) -35
short term power(w)- 110
operating power(W)- 10
sensitivity (db) -86
frequency range (hz) - 55 - 4000
free air resonance-53
voice coil diameter -25mm
voice coil height- 10mm
air gap height - 4mm
voice coil inductance(mh) - 0.60
effective diaphram area - 80 cm2
moving mass(g) - 78
magnet wt (g)/(oz)- 240/85
force factor(Bt) -- 5.2
Vas (l) - 10.5
Qms - 2.73
Qes - 0.53
Qts - 0.45

OTHER FEATURES:
NRSC cone
high linearity
low loss suspension
NR rubber surround
moulded rubber reinforced polymer chasis
vented magnet system

kindly tell me if this driver can be used for the ariel project...this is the only 5.5 inch driver of vifa available in india currently...and only a few nos are left cos they are closing down the distributership (corrson) cos the DIY volumes are very low......and the only other vifa driver available is 6.5 inch P17WJ-00-08, can it be used with cabinet modifications...kindly suggest......cos we are in a country which sucks for DIY audio fanatics...( I am very sorry to say that) .......kindly give suggestions...... thanks in advance
Old 18th October 2008, 04:05 PM   #4548
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Hi Kolbrek,

After looking at the data and reading the articles you have written, I can't help but wonder how things would look for an OS wave guide with a tube section before the throat would perform. Would very much like your opinion.
Old 18th October 2008, 06:18 PM   #4549
diyAudio Member

Default Re: drivers for ariel5s

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac
Lynn,
I was hoping to meet you at Rocky Mountain

About what is the diameter of the wide end?
Hi Variac, sorry we didn't get together. I was more mobile than last year, and was scampering around the show pretty much the whole time. As it was I only saw a tiny fraction of it, focussing mostly on the high-efficiency and dipole rooms.

The AH-425 overall diameter is 418 mm, and when resting on a flat surface, the part that contacts the surface is about 360 mm.

Quote:
Originally posted by sujith kumar.r
hi lynn,
Thanks once again for your suggestions, i am actually dumping those drivers.... the other available 5.5 inch vifa driver is TC14WG49-08,

t/S parameters TC14WG49-08 are

nominal impedance-8 ohms
voice coil resistance- 5.55
nominal power(W) -35
short term power(w)- 110
operating power(W)- 10
sensitivity (db) -86
frequency range (hz) - 55 - 4000
free air resonance-53
voice coil diameter -25mm
voice coil height- 10mm
air gap height - 4mm
voice coil inductance(mh) - 0.60
effective diaphram area - 80 cm2
moving mass(g) - 78
magnet wt (g)/(oz)- 240/85
force factor(Bt) -- 5.2
Vas (l) - 10.5
Qms - 2.73
Qes - 0.53
Qts - 0.45

OTHER FEATURES:
NRSC cone
high linearity
low loss suspension
NR rubber surround
moulded rubber reinforced polymer chasis
vented magnet system

Plastic chassis - ugh. Have no idea what a "NRSC" cone is. The T/S figure of 78 grams is absurd - that's heavier than many 15" cones! It can't possibly be that heavy. The rest of the T/S data looks reasonable and typical for many 5.5" drivers.

Transmission lines, unlike vented speakers, are not picky about T/S parameters. The filling tends to wash out many differences between drivers, letting the line and stuffing dominate the picture. Aside from the improbable Mms figure, the rest looks fine.

What is not fine is the unknown frequency response. Unless it is ruler-flat with a very gradual and gentle rolloff with no peaks anywhere, you're on your own with the crossover. The basic concept with the Ariel was to chose the flattest and quickest CSD-decay drivers I could find back in the early Nineties, build an oversized MTM minimonitor around them, and arrange the efficiency of the paired midbass drivers so the tweeter wouldn't need to be attenuated.

As for the crossover, I voiced it with a slight "BBC dip" and a gentle tilt from bass to treble. That's pretty much it. Not a complicated system conceptually, and the many versions of the transmission line never sounded all that different from each other. I don't think all the complexity was warranted; I ever did a TL again, it would be much simpler.

I think it is basically impossible to build a good-sounding speaker without instrumentation - well, I couldn't do it, and I don't know anyone who can. The final "voicing" is done AFTER the system is measuring reasonably flat, NOT before, otherwise you'd endlessly go around in circles, never getting close to the optimum. There are many ways to build it wrong, but only a few to build it right - and professional speaker designers endlessly argue about which parameters to optimize.
Old 19th October 2008, 02:36 PM   #4550
diyAudio Member

Default drivers for my ariel5s project

hi Lynn,

I am absolutely delighted and thankful for your prompt reply and suggestions... the moving mass Mms was 7.8 grams....that was an error ... I am attaching the complete data with the frequency response.....kindly advise...i am ever greatful to you...a man of iconic stature to reply to a diy novice like me....

Hide this!Advertise here!