Beyond the Ariel - Page 454 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2008, 09:24 AM   #4531
Kolbrek is offline Kolbrek  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mige0
Only need the FR without driver.

Please don't feel forced - waiting for some more days or not shouldn't make the hell of a difference - this thread started one and a half years ago...
Sorry for coming back late. I've been quite busy the last two weeks.

Well, here's the polar plot for AH-425.

Bjørn
Attached Images
File Type: gif ah425_polar.gif (31.6 KB, 836 views)
Old 17th October 2008, 09:27 AM   #4532
diyAudio Member

The troat impedance for AH-425.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ah425_throatz.gif (23.5 KB, 798 views)
Old 17th October 2008, 09:29 AM   #4533
diyAudio Member

And the AH-425 power factor.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ah425_powerfactor.gif (21.8 KB, 811 views)
Old 17th October 2008, 09:38 AM   #4534
diyAudio Member

Finally, here are the frequency response curves without driver for the AH-425. This is the SPL at a 3m distance from the horn mouth, at different angles, for a constant volume velocity of 1m/s at the throat. The SPL response will of course be different when a driver is used, and not a constant velocity source, but the relative levels will be the same.

There will however be some differences due to differences in the velocity distribution at the throat, but this simulation does at least give you a general idea of how the horn performs. In the simulation a plane wavefront at the throat, with uniform velocity distribution, is assumed.

Bjørn
Attached Images
File Type: gif ah425_velresp.gif (13.0 KB, 922 views)
Old 17th October 2008, 09:43 AM   #4535
diyAudio Member

Recently I have also been able to simulate horns in BEM as thin shells, which is more like how the Azurahorns are made. The difference in throat impedance is small, the shell has slighly more ripple.

But there are larger differences in the frequency response curves, they are not quite as smooth as the simulations where the horn has been enclosed in a cylinder.

Attached is the frequency respone plots for constant throat velocity (no driver), 3m distance, for the shell version of the AH-425.

Bjørn
Attached Images
File Type: gif ah425_shell_velresp.gif (12.1 KB, 799 views)
Old 17th October 2008, 02:00 PM   #4536
diyAudio Member

Default drivers for ariel

hi guys,

for my ariel 5s version.....
with great amount of persuassion i got 2 pairs of peerless fabrikerne(india) 5.5inch mid woofers with vented magnet and spider but to my dismay it is a 4ohm driver also there were no technical details given by the supplier(torvin).... they say they will get it soon..huh....kindly help me the part no is 3253 and its a sandwiched papercone driver.....with stunted frame.....kindly help with thiele small parameters....
Old 17th October 2008, 09:49 PM   #4537
diyAudio Member

As painful as it is, I'd return the drivers - the Ariel can't work with 4 ohm drivers.

It sounds like the new drivers have nothing in common with the original driver except the frame size - paper cone, 4 ohms, most likely completely different construction. The originals are 8 ohms, a fairly sophisticated polypropylene cone, and a soft rubber dustcap.
Old 18th October 2008, 12:32 AM   #4538
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

I'm looking at the plots of the AH-425 horn. Is that constant directivity?
Old 18th October 2008, 02:24 AM   #4539
diyAudio Member

No, they are not constant-directivity. Similar to a Tractrix in the overall characteristic, although noticeably smoother looking. The modern low-diffraction constant-directivity horns are the Geddes OS waveguide, the quadratic-throat, or conicals with a curved transition region between the exit of the compression driver and the entrance to the conical section. The older, intentional-diffraction constant-directivity horns have kinks in the profile, like the Altec Mantaray or JBL Bi-Radial. Constant-directivity horns typically require an upward tilt to the equalization (boost EQ) for flat response at the listening position.

If this version of the LeCleac'h is listened to on-axis, it will need a moderate amount of down-shelving for flat response; if little or no equalization is desired, they should be aimed at a spot several feet in front of the listener. In practice, there should be an angle that has the best impulse response, and that remains to be determined by measurement.
Old 18th October 2008, 07:44 AM   #4540
diyAudio Member

Default Hornucopia

The Azurahorn AH-425's arrived today! Thanks Martin!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ah425-1.jpg (50.4 KB, 644 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!