Beyond the Ariel - Page 411 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2008, 01:06 PM   #4101
pdan is offline pdan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Zigzagflux, Agreed ...

Mr Olson is a many myriad minded man ... inspiring!
Old 26th June 2008, 03:41 PM   #4102
guoming is offline guoming  China
Account Disabled

I like big name sound box DYNAUDIO , PROARC...
Old 26th June 2008, 06:12 PM   #4103
diyAudio Member

Although restrictions on my travelling prevented me attending this year's "Tube Tasting" at Oswald's Mill, John Atwood did go, as you can see from the ClariSonus link. He reported the OMA "house speakers" at the Mill used RAAL supertweeters, vintage RCA MI-9584A compression drivers on wood conical horns, and Altec 515 Alnico woofers - and the sound was superb.

Granted, I didn't hear the system for myself, but JA has pretty good taste, and I take his report on the sound quality seriously. By contrast, if some reviewer I don't know says XYZ speaker sounds wonderful, that doesn't mean anything, since I've never heard their own system, their choice of music, or what they think is good.

So the selection of a RAAL, new/vintage compression driver, and Altec direct-radiator bass isn't as zany as it might seem - the folks at OMA have already gotten there ahead of me. I'm doing it with a little different spin, and a lot of reliance on Bjorn Kolbrek, Martin Seddon, the good folks on this forum, and MLSSA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oswaldsmill.jpg (70.7 KB, 1313 views)
Old 26th June 2008, 06:46 PM   #4104
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Olson
Although restrictions on my travelling prevented me attending this year's "Tube Tasting" at Oswald's Mill, John Atwood did go, as you can see from the ClariSonus link. He reported the OMA "house speakers" at the Mill used RAAL supertweeters, vintage RCA MI-9584A compression drivers on wood conical horns, and Altec 515 Alnico woofers - and the sound was superb.

Granted, I didn't hear the system for myself, but JA has pretty good taste, and I take his report on the sound quality seriously. By contrast, if some reviewer I don't know says XYZ speaker sounds wonderful, that doesn't mean anything, since I've never heard their own system, their choice of music, or what they think is good.

So the selection of a RAAL, new/vintage compression driver, and Altec direct-radiator bass isn't as zany as it might seem - the folks at OMA have already gotten there ahead of me. I'm doing it with a little different spin, and a lot of reliance on Bjorn Kolbrek, Martin Seddon, the good folks on this forum, and MLSSA.

I was told Tom Danley's PA speakers blew the "ribbon horn" away. Hmmm - Suppose we all have our preferences

Here is a TAD loaded horn and the sweet sounding RTR electrostatic tweeters LOL -not quite ribbons, tried that too
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 26th June 2008, 06:58 PM   #4105
diyAudio Member

Well, everyone at the Tasting probably came away with different impressions - tastes differ, especially in the horn-enthusiast arena. Many of them do not seem to hear horn-colorations at all, or if they do, they don't consider it a coloration worth bothering about. Other folks are extremely sensitive to this sound - Karna and I fall in this category. JA is pretty sensitive to this coloration, but not as far out on the bell curve as I am. My tolerance for time-domain colorations is pretty low - all those years of working with allpass filters and fiddling with crossovers might be responsible. Then again, Karna hears this stuff right away, and objects in stronger language than I use.

So without personally knowing the participants, well, I have no idea what they were hearing - I can't even guess. I've been to plenty of demos where everyone else was absolutely thrilled with the sound, and my reaction was "ho-hum", mild annoyance, or an outright dislike. But nobody is making me listen, so I leave as quickly as possible if it isn't going well. No point in spoiling everyone else's party.

Where it gets really uncomfortable is when I am asked to state my reaction after one of these events - I still haven't figured out a way to lie diplomatically. I know, I have no future in politics or international relations. And my father was a US Foreign Service diplomat, too - maybe it's my great-grandfather (a radical priest who left Sweden for America) that's doing the talking. Karna's grandma and grandpa were Norwegian, and she's got the same kind of directness that I heard growing up.
Old 26th June 2008, 07:41 PM   #4106
Banned

Well they are both conical horns but one is rectangular goes an octave or two lower and higher, is nearly perfect in phase and from what I hear if it'd go lower it's pass a nearly perfect square wave - not bad for PA horns! - colored - probably, but from what I've heard of DIY Danley conicals I'd say very low coloration.
Old 26th June 2008, 08:28 PM   #4107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John_E_Janowitz

It's actually 101.5dB if you calculate out the parameters. 103dB is at 2.83V, not 1w/1m. When you're up over 100dB, gaining that extra 1.5dB is huge and very difficult.

John
Yes, I can understand that The closer to the limit, the harder it becomes to gain extra db`s.
Old 27th June 2008, 02:43 AM   #4108
diyAudio Member

Playing with EDGE baffle simulator see if floor effects are properly modeled by mirroring the design....does this look correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dipole_15_32x48.jpg (79.2 KB, 976 views)
Old 27th June 2008, 02:49 AM   #4109
diyAudio Member

...Playing with the EDGE baffle simulator see if floor effects are properly modeled by mirroring the design..does this look correct??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dipole_21_24x48.jpg (99.6 KB, 964 views)
Old 27th June 2008, 03:10 AM   #4110
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I've played with that method too and found that's pretty close to the real case (in my own limited experiences of course)

I'd put the mic higher, near listening position, though.

Oh, you may also find in such cases that widening the baffle provide much more bass extension than making it higher...

Hide this!Advertise here!