Beyond the Ariel - Page 318 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2008, 02:39 PM   #3171
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamL

I am quite sure I read it somewhere that the used of foam plug/lens has been copyright by Dr Geddes. If this is the case, it will be impossible for Lynn to build something with it and publish the build on the net.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...62#post1443162
Old 1st March 2008, 05:56 PM   #3172
dobias is offline dobias  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Soundstage

Russell Dawkins ,
It must be because of my furniture arranged to the corner TV,
your suggestion to use a mono signal wound up causing me to arrange the OBs in a straight line with zero toe-in. I never would have thought of going that far.
Anyhow, with all the help in this thread, I now have a large soundstage & the listener sweetspot is also larger.
Thanks everyone,
dobias
Old 1st March 2008, 10:32 PM   #3173
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

All

A few key points to be made.

The OS waveguide contour is public domain. The Bi-speriodal has an issued patent.

The use of foam in a waveguide is patent pending and has been through its first office action. Based on that I can say with certainty that 1) it will issue, and 2) it will cover most uses of foam or other materials placed inside of a horn or waveguide.

As to the Declerq comparison to the OS, I would say this. I have not seen anyone do an OS waveguide right (myself excluded of course) so very very few people have heard what they can do when done correctly. Lynn seems to be impressed with what hes heard with the Declerq, but he has, at best, heard an OS only for a brief period in a less than optimal setting. And Yes, OS's can be used without foam, but why? I give a license to use any foam plug that I sell. You just can't use one that you don't buy from me. Thats fair, isn't it?

While the OS contour is not patented there are an awful lot of trade secrets that I do to make these devices work to their full potential.

I have heard a lot of horns and systems and all I can say is that I would put my designs up against anything out there for sound quality at high output levels. There simply is nothing that I have heard that can compare - and I'm talking at any price - Avantgardes, JBLs, TADs.

I have been very busy with another 'invention" that the manufacturers are eating up. Haven't been around here much. Not likely to get less busy in the near future either.
Old 2nd March 2008, 01:21 AM   #3174
diyAudio Member

Lynn,
Can You tell me what is Your room dimmension?

Best
C
Old 2nd March 2008, 01:34 AM   #3175
JoshK is offline JoshK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Dr. Geddes,

Are you allowed to share the charts referenced in your patent? Charts 1-3? A quick google search but up the patent description you spoke of, and I was curious to see the charts.
Old 2nd March 2008, 02:13 AM   #3176
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JoshK
Dr. Geddes,

Are you allowed to share the charts referenced in your patent? Charts 1-3? A quick google search but up the patent description you spoke of, and I was curious to see the charts.

Be more specific, what do they show?
Old 2nd March 2008, 02:59 AM   #3177
JoshK is offline JoshK  Canada
diyAudio Member

FIG. 1 shows the prior art usage of the Oblate Spheroidal coordinate system in a waveguide;

FIG. 2 shows the two dimensional Elliptic coordinate system;

FIG. 3 shows the new Bi-Spheroidal waveguide in two cross sections;
Old 2nd March 2008, 03:26 AM   #3178
diyAudio Member

Figs 1 and 2 are best discussed in my book. Figure 3 has no other reference as it is the point of the patent. What is it you want copies of those figures?
Old 5th March 2008, 01:52 AM   #3179
JohnL is offline JohnL  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Olson
Two rather simple reasons I favor the Le Cleac'h profile over others.

1) I can buy them right now, from Azurahorn in Australia, Music Concrete in France, and Experience Music in Memphis, Tennessee. These aren't the only people building them, but they're the ones I've been in communication with. All of the products look well-built, measure exceptionally well, and have a good track record from buyers and listeners.

Lynn, I was just perusing another forum and saw this, I thought you might be interested as it mentioned two of your sources.

Azura Horn is going to close down.

John
Old 6th March 2008, 08:36 PM   #3180
diyAudio Member

I've been in touch with Martin, and he's willing to sell me a pair of AH-550's with a mounting plate for the Altec 288/GPA 399 driver. He also sent photos of same, shown below. I'll be buying a pair of these in the next week or two, along with either Altec 288C's (refurbished) or GPA 399's. Then I'll start measuring with MLSSA.

The old Altecs use a three-bolt pattern, while I guess the newer ones use four(?). Anyway, I'll ask Martin that the mounting plate fits either new or old versions, so I'll be measuring and auditioning many different versions (aluminum vs Pascalite diaphragms, tangential vs plastic surrounds, circumferential vs Tangerine phase plugs, different sizes vs no rear chamber, Alnico vs ceramic magnets, etc.). Since the bandwidth of interest is only 800 Hz to 7 kHz, I won't be trying to "stretch" the HF to 15 kHz, as in many other horn systems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ah550_1.4"_flange.jpg (73.5 KB, 1278 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!