Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2008, 07:05 AM   #3001
diyAudio Member

Lynn,

could this be your sub?

http://infraplanar.free.fr/infraplanar-english.htm
Old 11th January 2008, 12:09 PM   #3002
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Russell Dawkins
Lynn,

could this be your sub?

http://infraplanar.free.fr/infraplanar-english.htm

That's serious. Looks like it has to be used in nearfield to qualify as a sub.

My Uncle and I have been working on a NEO magnet full range planar for about 5 years now - He is an old school electronic engineer who was an Altec addict that switched to Magnepans - We now have enough N35 magnets to build a pair of 2 way magnepan sized panels and are still debating between wire or aluminum ribbon conductors, ect.... I imagine these should be up and running by the middle of the summer 2012.. he's in his 70's so it's a pretty slow road.

Very interesting -

"The materials used are not organic origin (rubber, foam from various oil products are disaggregating after 10 or 15 years), damage due to aging are excluded interior materials (aluminum, glass vibrates, magnets , iron, wood…).

So what are they using?
Old 11th January 2008, 06:26 PM   #3003
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Quote:
As the materials used are not from organic origin (rubber, synthetic mosses produced by the oil industry and breaking up after 10 to 15 years), the damages due to ageing are excluded on the materials used (aluminium, fibreglass, magnets, iron, wood…).
Magnatar,
While his english isn't the best, it is even more confusing when you quote him wrong

I'm pretty sure he is saying that he uses aluminium, fibreglass, magnets, iron, wood..
Old 11th January 2008, 06:56 PM   #3004
Banned

Hmm - it was a cut and paste from his website.

So what materials does he use to build the panels and what did he mean to say since the cut and paste was a mis-quote?
Old 11th January 2008, 07:05 PM   #3005
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac

Magnatar,
While his english isn't the best, it is even more confusing when you quote him wrong

I'm pretty sure he is saying that he uses aluminium, fibreglass, magnets, iron, wood..
He did quote him correctly - it would appear that he has since changed the wording.

Its funny that I "found" the site myself 2 days ago while browsing a 6 Moons listing. AND that I had similar problems with understanding that particular phrase.

Magnetar:

its now as Variac has quoted - i.e. that aluminum, fiberglass, magnets, iron and wood are the materials used. (..though of course wood is in fact organic - but its likely used for cosmetic purposes only.)
Old 11th January 2008, 07:19 PM   #3006
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Sorry Magna, good thing I used that smiley face! Maybe he's a lurker here and fixed the text a bit after reading of our confusion. It now reads as per my cut and paste-.. It would be interesting for him to add more details here..
Old 11th January 2008, 07:30 PM   #3007
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It would be interesting for him to add more details here..
It is an awesome looking design - makes me wonder what the distortion levels are like..

(..to bad I don't have that kind of cash to spend - otherwise I'd probably find myself forking over the green for a pair. )
Old 11th January 2008, 08:28 PM   #3008
ro9397 is offline ro9397  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Audition request Ariel or ME2 in SF Bay Area

Mega apologies for being off-topic, but w/ such short notice I thought this was the best thread to post.

I'm available only morning of Saturday 12 January & maybe morning of Monday 14 January in the San Francisco Bay Area if anyone might be kind enough to allow a 15 minute audition of their Ariel &/or ME2.

I live in north Utah & figure I'm more likely to get a bite in the Bay Area.

Thanks, & please return to your normal routine!

435 754 5097 call anytime
Old 12th January 2008, 04:10 AM   #3009
Banned

Default Beyond the Magnepan

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG

It is an awesome looking design - makes me wonder what the distortion levels are like..

(..to bad I don't have that kind of cash to spend - otherwise I'd probably find myself forking over the green for a pair. )

I think building one to work would take a bit of trial and error (something I'm good at) , maybe not as much as as getting a 'Super' Magnepan to work though because the planar sub has limited bandwith. The magnets really aren't that expensive now - I think a DIY single ended quasi ribbon (like a magnepan) two way with high sensitivity would be a nice project to tackle. With all us 'know it alls' here we should start a thread Beyond the Magnepan and go at it......
Old 12th January 2008, 04:15 AM   #3010
Banned

Quote:
Sorry Magna, good thing I used that smiley face! Maybe he's a lurker here and fixed the text a bit after reading of our confusion. It now reads as per my cut and paste-.. It would be interesting for him to add more details here..
No problem ! I read that paragraph like five times and couldn't make sense of it..

Hide this!Advertise here!