Beyond the Ariel

badman said:

It's funny that this comes up over and over and over.... and that the people who favor big speakers (and make big messes building them) talk so kindly about their wives. Look at the way Lynn talks about his S.O., . . .

No wonder Lynn speaks so highly of his wife, Karna. She is a brilliant, exceptional woman, and a terrific partner for Lynn. Also, she truly cares about and enjoys good music and good sound, even though she doesn't seem to be nearly so interested as Lynn in the technical elements of sound reproduction (not that they would be beyond her capacity).

As you said, Lynn's respect for and appreciation of Karna comes through in his writing. I'm here to testify that she deserves it! :D

Gary Dahl

kyrie48 said:

When "analog" was king... and there -was- a quality choice!!

TTYL, kyrie

By analog do you mean vinyl? But in any event there are still the same choices out there.

But high quality audio and the masses? The masses never got past a KLH model 11 or a Magnavox console stereo. :)

klh_model_11.jpg

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2008
john k... said:
When was it ever popular among the "masses"?

It was a lot more popular before cable TV, video games, computers, then DVD. IMHO it really died once DVD came out. How many people from the 60-80's bought records and how many still buy CD's today? Just using my extended family I think I am the only one that has bought any new CD's lately.

g3dahl said:

No wonder Lynn speaks so highly of his wife, Karna. She is a brilliant, exceptional woman, and a terrific partner for Lynn. Also, she truly cares about and enjoys good music and good sound, even though she doesn't seem to be nearly so interested as Lynn in the technical elements of sound reproduction (not that they would be beyond her capacity).

As you said, Lynn's respect for and appreciation of Karna comes through in his writing. I'm here to testify that she deserves it! :D

Gary Dahl

My wife is somewhere between. She is a music lover like me and appreciates good sound (and my system, even though she rarely admits it). She has a keen sense of hearing. She often points out if I did something that made things sound worse. She just doesn't like the obsessiveness of the hobby, although I've gotten much better about that and she has taken a mild interest in encouraging me to try to mimic Josh Stippich.

However, she is artistic and has a sense of decor she wants to acheive and nowhere in that is big speakers. She compromises, I comprimise. Housing in the Northeast, convenient near the city--so we can still have a social life--is quaint, to put it charmingly, or outrageously expensive.

No extra rooms for stereo systems. Living room it is, so it must not be an eyesore.

One thing that I do have going for me is the living room is right above a semi-finished basement. I decided to hang racks from the ceiling under the LR floor and put all the electronics san sources and preamp on that rack and drop cables through and back. Less visible gear = less things to argue about.

My wife was really onboard for an IB in the floor as well (= no big subs in the LR).

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2008
pedroskova said:
Care to venture what a 1959 Magnavox stereo console would cost today after adjusting for inflation? I don't know the answer, but I have a feeling that it would come in just south of two grand.

I think we have a winner here. I remember the large consoles my parents and aunts/uncles all had. Much better sound than the computer speakers they listen to on these days.

john k... said:

By analog do you mean vinyl? But in any event there are still the same choices out there.

But high quality audio and the masses? The masses never got past a KLH model 11 or a Magnavox console stereo. :)

klh_model_11.jpg

Vinyl, cassette, FM, even reel-to-reel... can anyone imagine people of today cleaning albums, putting reels on and off, or rewinding tapes? Just think of this, then add all the seperate amps, preamps, integrated amps, tuners, etc, and those HUGE speakers so many bought... and most had built-in woofers, not some little cube that could be stuck in a corner somewhere. Those were fans of quality sound... even people that preferred all-in-one receivers, many bought the larger, or massive higher powered models.
Even with many not having the money for HiFi, sells of quality equipment were higher than might have been expected. Those -were- the "good old days"!!

TTYL, kyrie

My girl loved my Edgar Slimlines and the tapped horn we had in our old apartment. Said they were kind of ugly and wanted to paint them...but she enjoyed them. I would come home and find her listening to them. I was like a proud poppa.

But whatever the home side is feeling, the car guys have nearly been put to death because of it.

kyrie48 said:

Vinyl, cassette, FM, even reel-to-reel... can anyone imagine people of today cleaning albums, putting reels on and off, or rewinding tapes? Just think of this, then add all the seperate amps, preamps, integrated amps, tuners, etc, and those HUGE speakers so many bought... and most had built-in woofers, not some little cube that could be stuck in a corner somewhere. Those were fans of quality sound... even people that preferred all-in-one receivers, many bought the larger, or massive higher powered models.

TTYL, kyrie

It was the style of the day. But more improtantly, nothing you have listed says quality. There were plenty of really poor quality analog recordings, equipment and speakers; large or small, at all prices that were trash. And many high quality records from the late 70's and early 80's started out a digital recording. I am afriad I am one who still looks forwards, not back. I enjoyed the 60's, the 70's the 80's ...probably more that I should have, but I don't want to relive them.

john k... said:

It was the style of the day. But more improtantly, nothing you have listed says quality. There were plenty of really poor quality analog recordings, equipment and speakers; large or small, at all prices that were trash. And many high quality records from the late 70's and early 80's started out a digital recording. I am afriad I am one who still looks forwards, not back. I enjoyed the 60's, the 70's the 80's ...probably more that I should have, but I don't want to relive them.

I look back too much, mainly because I know what lies ahead. More digital, more crappy music, more idiots in the recording studios, and a corporatocracy controlled "music" industry.

But who knows, maybe analog will make a comeback... in some "new and improved" version!!
;-)

TTYL, kyrie

kyrie48 said:

I look back too much, mainly because I know what lies ahead. More digital, more crappy music, more idiots in the recording studios, and a corporatocracy controlled "music" industry.

But who knows, maybe analog will make a comeback... in some "new and improved" version!!
;-)

TTYL, kyrie

I believe the problem is not in the recording studios, nor in "digital", both easy targets, but in the business model around the entire music "industry" since day one (late 1800s).

I also believe we are in the midst of a (necessarily) massive transformation to a new model that ultimately will result in more fair compensation to the artist and composer and more equitable distribution. I think this will be nothing but good for music, especially good music which will, as it always has, rise to the surface - but more surely this time.

As for digital - even 16/44 is capable of delivering stunningly beautiful results with the appropriate qualities in place of micing, mixing, and the music itself.

Russell Dawkins said:
As for digital - even 16/44 is capable of delivering stunningly beautiful results with the appropriate qualities in place of micing, mixing, and the music itself.

Indeed, it's amazing what was possible with mid 1980's technology, recorded 23 years ago and it's still among the best sounding CDs I've ever heard. Of course I have to wonder how much better it might be if they had a nice reel to reel tape machine or a modern hi-res digital recorder instead of the simple DAT deck which they used.

aerius said:

Of course I have to wonder how much better it might be if they had a nice reel to reel tape machine or a modern hi-res digital recorder instead of the simple DAT deck which they used.

Well, that was part of my point, but maybe I wasn't being plain enough.
I believe the resolution of the recording medium takes a distant back seat to the micing and mixing part of the process.

Hell, something of value, well miced and mixed, would sound great on virtually any DAT deck I've ever heard and most good reel-to-reels.

The advantage of going hi-res (>24/96) is minuscule compared to the advantage of competent engineering when recording and mixing.

Lynn

If Gary D is building an Onken with the some GPA 414's , please include me in any discussions . I'm just pricing-up wood for this sort of project, I need to know the details of any variations on the original petit Onken cabinet, ( as per SP in 1993 I'm currently looking at ) especially how it affects whether I can get the bits from two 8' x 4' sheets !

I'll email Gary anyway ..

I'm just wondering if I can get away with using the same cabinet initially for some Supravox GMF285's I currently have loaned , but the parameters are a bit different I fear .

Which was the thread you had in mind, with GM and Planet 10 ? ( there are several ) .

MJ

Haven't popped in for a while,

I think these are very attractive. It's Ken Shindo's take on the WE753.

I'm building test enclosures for my GPA 604's this weekend and will definitely throw a smaller sealed box similar to this in the mix, perhaps using the profile of the JE Labs baffle without the width.

Best,

Chris

Attachments

• we753.jpg
    we753.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,872
Lynn Olson said:
By the way, I really like Bill F's suggestion of an uncompressed recording of a marching band. It ain't high-falutin' classical music, but who hasn't heard a live marching band stomping out a rousing musical tune? Almost any $tereophile Class A system would flunk this test big time.
Are there any recommended CDs in this category?

Oh, found it.

soongsc said:
I've been thinking about driver maximum SPL. Normally it would be best to have all drivers limited by Xmax at the same SPL. Drivers seem to reach Xmax much earlier than they reach power limits in home audio. I think this is probably a big difference from pro audio.

Yes, this is the case, as typically the radiators are much smaller for a given bandwidth. But they ALSO require MUCH MORE power for the same SPL so you get thermal artifacts. None of this is news to you I'm sure, but it's always important to point out: Big speakers aren't about needing more volume, they're about needing more CLEAN volume and having CLEAN peaks. Little speakers get boring and fatiguing well before anything resembling realistic levels. It takes big high-eff stuff to do levels and dynamics properly.